Got PTRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
Well, I have a case of Post Traumatic Rocket Syndrome. I have a big pile of rockets I need to finish building but I'm burned out on building rockets. In my HPR pile is the rest of my high altitude supersonic rockets. In my low power pile is all my classic rocket builds. And in my mid power pile is all my low power to mid power conversions. The weather has turned cold, it's not a good time for flying, and I should be finishing the builds, but I'm tired of building and am taking a long needed break instead. Anyone have a cure? LOL

Well, I have a case of Post Traumatic Rocket Syndrome. I have a big pile of rockets I need to finish building but I'm burned out on building rockets. In my HPR pile is the rest of my high altitude supersonic rockets. In my low power pile is all my classic rocket builds. And in my mid power pile is all my low power to mid power conversions. The weather has turned cold, it's not a good time for flying, and I should be finishing the builds, but I'm tired of building and am taking a long needed break instead. Anyone have a cure? LOL

Send me all the HPR supersonic rockets and I will finish and fly them for you and then send you some videos ;);););):)

I'm taking a build brake myself. Arthritis is getting the better of me. On a good note I can still fly all year round weather permitting. (Rain)

I understand. I have two major projects underway and have not touched them for a couple months. Burnout?? too busy?? I don't know but I have the day off and I am going to force myself to do something on one or both today !!---H

Whenever I get in a funk about anything (running, rocket building, etc) I tell myself to just do one thing about a project. Then I am not overwhelmed with everything that must be done. "Daddyisabar" said it correctly.
I find that when I focus on getting one task done, the juices start to flow, it becomes infectious and one completed task leads to another, and pretty soon - my wife is yelling at me to come out of the rocket room
and socialize with her!

When the hobby becomes a job it is time to walk away for a while. Trust me, I almost entirely quit the hobby a couple years ago in the wake of Rocketry Planet's demise (turned my hobby into a job).

This is a hobby for the vast majority of us on this site. If your hobby, which is supposed to be fun and relaxing, is no longer so you need to examine why. There is a strong tendency for folks to become to obsessed, and try to do too much too fast.

So, I would stop building for a month or so. Do not think about rockets, and maybe stop reading about them too. Go outside, spend some time with your family- basically whatever you want other than rockets. Think about it in a month, but in a certain framework- specifically, what did I do to drive me too burn out. My guess is it was just a case of too much. Pick a single project, work on it, and finish it. Move on to another one when ready. This is not a race, and there is no prize for the person who builds the most or flies the most!

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I like your thoughts and suggestions. I have lots of rockets in the build to finish. Most all the rockets I'm building are laminated. The laminating is a long tedious repetative task. Lol, I saved my HPR/Mid=power lamination projects till last. My hands are tired.......my fingers are tired..........my brain is tired. Lol, A lot of sanding and forming work involved. I think I'm just going to lay off for awhile and do something else for change......get away from rocket building for 2-3 months and go do some hunting for a change of pace. The hogs and deer are moving about and I need to restock the freezer.

Back