CMASS Launch Amesbury MA 22 November - Last Launch of the Season & Night Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Who's bringing what to fly this coming chilly Saturday.

Also, what are you going to bring to fly for our annual night launch? Make sure you have lights on any parts of your rocket that will detach from the others.

I'm bringing warm gloves. I wanted to fly a hybrid but it's going to be too cold to do it without heating the tank so I'll just fly whatever's in the box that I didn't fly last time.

A saucer on a Vmax - yeah that's the ticket! Probably my Wildchild on an E or F. Not sure if I'll heve my rocket with LEDs repaired or not, but I'll be there to watch whatever gets launched.

The weather will be sunny with 0% chance of rain however the temperature is predicted to be in the mid-30s. Dress warmly in layers and bring gloves and a hat.

Set-up time will be 10 AM and the launch will start at ~11 AM. We will run until 3:45 PM for Class 2 high power and possibly up to 4:00 PM for Class 1 Model Rockets and will stop to breakdown the day launch field before sunset which is at 4:15 PM. We will relocate several low/mid power pads closer to the road for the night launch which will begin when it gets dark(er) probably by 4:45 or so. We will be finished by 5:30 PM or so.

Please note that there will be no moon Saturday night as it is New Moon. The field will be very dark after sunset. Please bring one or more flashlights.

Bob

It was a little windier than advertised but the hardy (crazy?) attendees seemed to have a good time. There were several CATOs but my cluster with a suspect date E9 core had no problem. I reefed the chute with tape on my old Estes D Region Tomahawk for my last flight. But the tape undid, probably due to the cold, and I had a bit of a walk. The only issue was that it played Brer Rabbit and landed in a big briar patch. Got it out okay but it was a painful recovery! I didn't stay for the night launch but I am sure someone will report on the results.

The night launch was cold and dark. That's a picture of Ed Pattison-Gordon holding his rocket with EL wire on it. It was much brighter than I thought it would be.

ed.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 54
The evening sky, the rocket or Ed? :wink:

I meant the rocket but the sky was bright too. I can't say that for the rest of us who spent the day outside in the cold.

Here's a picture of you risking frostbite by taking your glove off.

index.php

Back