Epoxy Clay Fillets - Weight - CG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I've been thinking of ordering Apogee's Fix-It epoxy clay. Looks like it makes really smooth, beautiful (and strong) fillets.

Question is, does the fact that it's a clay make it really heavy? Does it add a lot of weight to a rocket? How cautious do you have to be about a CG shift to the rear when using it for fin fillets?

Also, has anybody tried other brands of epoxy clay, and what was the result?

View attachment 246911

I used it on my SEA WOLF, now your talking some where around 26'(FEET) of fillets,
you have to shape it close to the form you want, so you don't have to sand so much when it dries, it does sand easy.
bondo spot puddy is your friend, also warm the clay, it mixes and applies easier.
View attachment 246913
View attachment 246914

As for weight, I don't think it is heavier then epoxy

I used it for my fillets and wouldn't do it again. It is very brittle, and from what I hear, is a PITA to fix up if it pulls away from the tube surface.

I too have used it early on but have since gone to Rocket Epoxy or West system. I stopped using it for the exact reason Bat-mite stated.

I prefer 20 or 30 min epoxy mixed with microbaloons for fillets. Easy to shape, easy to sand and very light.

Where do you get that stuff? I've never used epoxy before, other than a little JB Weld to dope some wood up.

I've been thinking of ordering Apogee's Fix-It epoxy clay. Looks like it makes really smooth, beautiful (and strong) fillets.

Question is, does the fact that it's a clay make it really heavy? Does it add a lot of weight to a rocket? How cautious do you have to be about a CG shift to the rear when using it for fin fillets?

Also, has anybody tried other brands of epoxy clay, and what was the result?

You can buy it cheaper online elsewhere. It works we'll. I don't have the link off the top but search for it.

Where do you get that stuff? I've never used epoxy before, other than a little JB Weld to dope some wood up.

Any good hobby shop with a reasonable radio control airplane section will have both. Otherwise, you can order from Tower Hobbies.

You want to mix the epoxy first and keep adding microballoons until it becomes a paste. Apply quickly because in my experience, microballoons tend to accellerate the curing. You can form the fillet either with your finger dipped in alcohol (I use 90% Isopropyl) or an epoxy mixing (popsicle) stick. Let cure overnight and the stuff sands very easily.

Ordering fixit directly from Aves can save you some money as well.

Last edited:
Back