kit for combo certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I am hoping to run an L1 and L2 certification on a nice 38mm kit, shortly after each other. I had my eye on a LOC Nuke Pro Max, as I love the look and it looks like it can take the power without issue. However it is a mere 2.1 inch diameter, and one other task I would like to take on is a special payload that is between 2.2 and 2.4 inches.

It looks like the LOC Hi Tech could be up to the task, though it does not appeal to my eye quite as much and the payload would be tight or possibly not even fit. I should get exact dimensions.

The LOC Big Nuke looks great but is right out of my price and size range.

On to PML, the Mystic looks decent. 3 inch diameter would definitely fit my payload. I am a little concerned with L2 power there, though. What if I changed the orientation of the fins? The CP should not be significantly affected, right? Or are these concerns unfounded, as I would need to fiberglass or otherwise strengthen the whole thing regardless? Also it might be a little short for adding payload.

Of course I could simply get the Nuke Pro Max I want for certification, forget about payloads, and get a separate wider rocket for that purpose later.

My first thought is: a nuke pro maxx is going to get up there on a J, possibly in a mile range. Tracking and recovery get to be an issue there. Not a big problem, just be aware of it.

Depending on what the payload actually is, and how it needs to be mounted, I'd say go for a 4" kit. something like a Madcow super DX3 would do nicely and make for fairly easy cert flights.

Last edited:
I did my L2 with a dual deploy ProMax. You will need a tracker of some sorts and it will get up there in a hurry. I did 7736' at 1.3 Mach with mine. Loved that flight! If you have the field and means of recovery then go for it. The NPM is an awesome looking and performing rocket. Mine now flies mostly on G's and still gets respectable flights.

Because I am addicted, this is coming from my phone.

You could always scratch build. No real advantages of kits these days except some include recovery

You could always scratch build. No real advantages of kits these days except some include recovery

I respectfully disagree.:p You are correct as long as an individual has a well equipped power-tooled shop. If they don't, the
prefabrication allows one to be able to complete a project they might not ordinarily have the facilities to pull off.
Especially, with G10 and spiral wound glass tubes. Kurt

I respectfully disagree.:p You are correct as long as an individual has a well equipped power-tooled shop. If they don't, the
prefabrication allows one to be able to complete a project they might not ordinarily have the facilities to pull off.
Especially, with G10 and spiral wound glass tubes. Kurt

Giant Leap will cut your tube and slot for fins, for a fee of course. I believe they cut and have fins you can buy.

Scratch is an option because you don't have to do it all at once. Spread the purchases out over some months, always with a goal and budget ;)

Giant Leap will cut your tube and slot for fins, for a fee of course. I believe they cut and have fins you can buy.

Scratch is an option because you don't have to do it all at once. Spread the purchases out over some months, always with a goal and budget ;)

save money and leave it in the bank. save TONS on shipping.

Sounds like a very cool plan. Have you looked at the wildman 2.2 inch kits? They have payload bays, 38mm motor mounts, and are all fiberglass so they might be a bit stronger for J motors.

Check out Always Ready Rocketry and their Basic Blues 3" kit. I have one with the Dual Deploy upgrade. BlueTube is strong and lighter than fiberglass.
I got mine with a 54mm motor mount, and used a 54-38 adapter for most of the flights. Recently I managed to get a couple of flights in with 54mm motors, including an L265 Mellow Yellow (10 second burn to 15,515ft)
This kit will last me years and I can fly H through L in it!!

Thanks! I had never heard of Binder and somehow completely forgot about Mad Cow. I think I am leaning towards forgetting about my payloads and getting LOC Nuke Pro Max for the certification and because I like it. I will probably get something different for my electronic payloads.

So do people think that PML Mystic would be fine with an L2 certification motor, or would that much thrust mangle it?

I agree with Grouch. Did my L1 & L2 with my Norad Pro Maxx. Those rockets fly! I converted it to DD for L2. It went to just over 6k feet at Mach 1.06.

Salvage-1 that Basic Blues looks real nice, likely to be my first 54mm rocket after I get through the current build queue. That or maybe the Painkiller 3, which also looks good.

To anyone else watching I went with the Nuke Pro Maxx for L1 and L2. It is likely too small for my payloads, but for those experiments I will simply start with a larger airframe and not worry about trying to do it all with one bird. I am excited and anxious for my shipment to arrive!

Salvage-1 that Basic Blues looks real nice, likely to be my first 54mm rocket after I get through the current build queue. That or maybe the Painkiller 3, which also looks good.

To anyone else watching I went with the Nuke Pro Maxx for L1 and L2. It is likely too small for my payloads, but for those experiments I will simply start with a larger airframe and not worry about trying to do it all with one bird. I am excited and anxious for my shipment to arrive!

I have one too. Just be aware with any 38mm. J out there it will hit at least 7,000 ft. at mach 1+. Great rocket, good luck with your certs.

Very cool! Are you going to fly dual deploy or a cable cutter for the J flight?

You wont be disappointed with the nuke pro max. I did both my level 1 and 2 with it right out of the box with no up grades just plain old 5 minute epoxy for the glue and it literally flew out of sight. Just be ready to hike when you go looking for it after the launch.

Using a single rocket for L1 and L2 with a 38mm is certainly do-able. The L2 will usually get a lot of altitude so that can be a recovery issue. My usual objection to using one rocket for both is that you have nothing to fly K and L motors with after you get your L2 cert.

My suggestion for a dual cert rocket would be a 4" diameter, 54mm MMT rocket that is light enough to get 1000 to 1500 ft on a mid sized I motor. Then it can get 2500 on a J, and really stretch its legs on K and small L motors.

I have one too. Just be aware with any 38mm. J out there it will hit at least 7,000 ft. at mach 1+. Great rocket, good luck with your certs.

Thanks!

SCrocketfan said:
Very cool! Are you going to fly dual deploy or a cable cutter for the J flight?
I have a pair of Archetype cutters on the way. I will probably use plain motor ejection for L1 and cable cutter for L2. I love the idea of dual deploy but for these near minimum diameter 29mm and 38mm rockets I have, I am hesitant to deviate much from their simple and compact design. The bigger ones can get more complex when the time comes!

Handeman said:
Using a single rocket for L1 and L2 with a 38mm is certainly do-able. The L2 will usually get a lot of altitude so that can be a recovery issue. My usual objection to using one rocket for both is that you have nothing to fly K and L motors with after you get your L2 cert.

Totally understand and agree. I am rushing a little to get the certifications out of the way because of the paperwork and bureaucracy, but once I can freely buy larger motors I will be building larger rockets to lift much heavier loads.

Totally understand and agree. I am rushing a little to get the certifications out of the way because of the paperwork and bureaucracy, but once I can freely buy larger motors I will be building larger rockets to lift much heavier loads.

Its a lot easier than it sounds :) L1 is a quick form, and the L2 test isn't bad.

You might want to look at some of the kits from madcow as well. They have something for almost anyone. If I had enough money, I would own nearly their entire production line.

Its a lot easier than it sounds :) L1 is a quick form, and the L2 test isn't bad.

I am not too worried about the process itself, but the logistics and timing have become a bit of an issue. For example, I am certain I will pass the test but finding someone to administer it is proving to be a problem!

Binder Design has a special right now; Order any kit before Tuesday and he will throw in the DD kit for free. I just picked up the California Kid, $160 + shipping. Great deal for level 1 and 2 and doesn't have quite an issue with recovery. However, I have a Nuke Pro Maxx as well... set up for DD, though it isn't finished just yet. If you do not have a lot of spare parts lying around, setting up a NPM with DD and tracking could come close to the same price as the California kid kit with DD kit (assuming black Friday special).

Food for thought!!

I however say... get them both. :wink:

just these 2 rockets will give you great workhorses for all motors from G - K.

Last edited:
Given the money, I'd buy every one of the cool designs from Mike Fisher (Binder Designs)... Being that all of them are cool, I'd have a hard time maneuvering my room with his entire product line in my living room.

Back