I WANT ONE!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Book, U.S. Guided Missiles, by Bill Yenne, and it has a bunch of Pics' and Info about Drones, mostly Rocket Boosted types.
I find myself wanting them the way I do with regular Missiles, and pretty much everything else I see that looks cool and has a Military Theme.
Anyhow, I cannot afford to get into the Electronics right now, and don't plan to try to jump right into buiding an RBG, but I will be thinking about it and beginning my Research.
In the Meanwhile, I can tinker with building an Airframe with Balsa, Foamboard and Fiberglass. I do have experience with Gliders,(88'-91', Guillows Paper covered Airframes) but never put any Electronics or Motors in one.
Just thought I'de let you all know, I'm on my way to join your Ranks eventually.:)

Yeah, I appreciate the Suggestion, but I don't want an RC Plane.
I'm going to build a Scale Model of one of the Military Drones, most likely the AQM-91A Firefly or a BQM-34 Firebee as a Glider Model, then after Ground Testing and Throwing it around the Yard and off of a nearby Fire Tower to make sure it Glides, I'll add Servos and Batteries and repeat the "Does it Fly" Part.
If it does, I'll attach it to a Rocket Motor on a Dowel to Boost it, and have the Motor and Dowel recover via a small Chute after separation from the Glider.
I would just let the Dowel and Motor fall, but all these Safety Nazis here would Crucify me for such Blasphemy.
Besides, may as well recover the Launch Dowel and Spent Motor Case so as not to litter.:D

The Firefly, with it's bigger wing would be a better glider. On the other hand, the Firebee "looks" like it might handle the cg shift a little easier,based on where the engine exhaust is on the real deal.How big are you going to go? One thing to think about with gliders, The bigger they are the better they glide. "Part" of this is because the wing loading goes down. A larger rocket glider tends to weigh less per cubic inch than a smaller one. Just something to think about! Either way it sounds like a fun challenge---H

The Firefly, with it's bigger wing would be a better glider. On the other hand, the Firebee "looks" like it might handle the cg shift a little easier,based on where the engine exhaust is on the real deal.How big are you going to go? One thing to think about with gliders, The bigger they are the better they glide. "Part" of this is because the wing loading goes down. A larger rocket glider tends to weigh less per cubic inch than a smaller one. Just something to think about! Either way it sounds like a fun challenge---H

I'm thinking large enough that it will boost on a SU F-G Motor. Probably a Wingspan of atleast 48".
Matter of fact, I'm going to start putting together some Fiberglassed Foamboard Wings later today, and just build something to throw around the Yard to get "The Feel" back. It's been awhile since I've flown a Thrown Glider, and my Mind needs to have some "Hands on" Experience so that I can do Mindsims like I do with Rockets.
I'm thinkin Firefly too, for the reasons you mentioned, and the Wings can be collapsed during the Boost, then spring and lock into position at separation.
It just so happens that the Foamboard I got is Black, so I think the Universe is telling me to do the Firefly.

If you build smartly, you can keep things very light and you don't need balsa or fiberglass...If you can keep things very light, then you don't need as large a motor and the CG shift isn't as large and you don't need to build to survive large flight/speed loads. If you chose a large high thrust motor as your basis, you will have to build larger and/or stronger, weight goes up and then things don't glide so well.

Frank

If you build smartly, you can keep things very light and you don't need balsa or fiberglass...If you can keep things very light, then you don't need as large a motor and the CG shift isn't as large and you don't need to build to survive large flight/speed loads. If you chose a large high thrust motor as your basis, you will have to build larger and/or stronger, weight goes up and then things don't glide so well.

Frank

Thanks. Speaking of building light, I've seen you use a Product called Depron in some of your Models. It looks interesting.
Where do you get it?

I've already made up my Mind that whatever I build will get Boosted by a Rocket that will separate and recover separately and that the Motor will not be in the Glider.

I get it locally at my hobby shop and that is the best bet if you can find one, otherwise you need to buy several sheets to make shipping reasonable due to the physical size of the sheets.
You can get it here:
https://www.rcfoam.com/gsr/6mm+depron.html?gclid=CI7A78OPhcICFRFhfgodbV4ARA

Depron is light and has a nice sort of skin on one side and is fairly stiff. A lot of people use dollar tree foam board which has a cardboard or paper skin on one or both sides, and is generally heavier, but if you soak it in water you can remove the paper. It looses some of the stiffness when you do that. Blue foam and insulation foam can be used for large pieces and carved etc.

Frank.

Thanks. Speaking of building light, I've seen you use a Product called Depron in some of your Models. It looks interesting.
Where do you get it?

Thanks Frank.
I know that my Local Hobby Shop does'nt have it.
I'll start calling around, but maybe I'll have to order some.
Foam Board will be ok for now, and as I mentioned in my first Post in this Thread, I'm not in a hurry, but want to get started doing my Research.
I've got to take my Kid to Karate Class, but when I get back I'm going to start making a small, simple Glider with the Foamboard I have on hand.

I started building my Foamboard Glider tonight.:)
I'll just do a Low-Power, basic non-steerable Glider to start off.
I also went and spent some time looking at the Depron Gliders and Planes on the RC Forums.
I'm having way too much Fun!!!!:D
There are lots of free Plans available for Gliders and Planes you can make out of Foamboard.
I'm just designing the one I'm making now as I go, because making a Glider is pretty easy if you understand the basic Aerodynamic Principles.
Should be ready to test fly it tomorrow.:)

Last edited:
I've got my Wing and Fuselage. Now I need to make my Tailplane and determine how I want to set my Dihedral Angle. I think I'm going to Crease the Wing, and use a Block of Balsa with the Angle cut into it and a Notch to attach it to the Fuselage.
I also am going to use Balsa Strips to strengthen the forward section of the Fuselage and allow for a place to attach Nose Weight.

GliderProject 002.jpg

She needs some Nose Weight, and I need to do some more little stuff to it, but it is mostly done.
This is my small scale test to see if I like where this is leading me. So far it weighs 3.4oz.
I threw her around in the yard a bit, and that's how I know it needs Nose Weight. I also need to work out how to make it separate from the Stick/Motor in such a Fashion that the Tail Rudder will lock into a position either left or right, so that it does not simply fly away into the distance, but rather slowly circles downward.
It's also large enough that I can mount a Keychain Camera.:)

GliderFGRBGT 019.jpg

GliderFGRBGT 020.jpg

GliderFGRBGT 022.jpg

Today I'm going to glass the Tail Plane and Wing, then try some test flights with the Wing reversed, as the RBGs that I have seen that are this style typically have the Wing looking like that, which makes more sense given the Airflow at the higher Speeds during Thrust.
I made the Wing removable like I've seen on most RC Stuff, so I can reverse no problem.

This is going to be a free-flight glider? How much dihedral do you have in that wing, because free-flight birds usually need at least 12-15 degrees.

Also, if you need nose weight, just get that keychain camera as far forward as you can. Voila, nose weight.

This is going to be a free-flight glider? How much dihedral do you have in that wing, because free-flight birds usually need at least 12-15 degrees.

Also, if you need nose weight, just get that keychain camera as far forward as you can. Voila, nose weight.

15 Degrees. From my research one Degree per inch on Spans up to 30 Inches seemed to be the Industry Standard so I went with that.
The Glassing is taking longer than a day, so we'll see about how she balances with the Camera on there in another day or so.
Yes, it is going to start out as a Free Flight Glider, but after it is flying good, I'm going to make the accomodation for coupling it to a very simple Rocket Booster which will essentially be a Bottle Rocket style but with Recovery.
The Glider will separate from the Booster.

Latest posts

Back