First day using Dual Deployment!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Just got home after launching rockets with the Tulsa Rocketry Club in Leonard, Oklahoma. I launched my Always Ready Rocketry 3 inch Blue Tube Phenix. I launched it 3 times, all dual deploy. This was my first every attemps to do so and all three times where an outstanding attempts. I used an I161W-1278 ft, I285R-1856 ft, and I600R-2842 ft. It was sweet. I was the top dog today. First launch I had to walk a mile to recover the rocket because I had the altimeter set at deployment at 700ft using I600. The next launch I set the altimeter to shoot the main out the at 400 feet and I swear the rocket landed within 50 yards of the pad using I161. The last time I launched it was it landed within 100 yards of the pad using I285. Overall, it was an awsome day!!!

Congratulations! I am building a rocket now that incorporates an ebay so that it will one day be able to recover via DD (my first such rocket). What electronics did you use?

MK

Congrats on the great day launching, wish I could have done the same.

Ain't DD great! After 20+ dd flights, I really prefer it to motor eject. Not just for the shorter walk, but the apogee deploy is always spot on, instead of early or late like most of my motor eject flights. I think it lightens the load on the recovery system too.

What type of altimeter did you use?

Congratulations :D

I have to say, I love dual deploy, though I tend to go for higher main deployments than that (800-1000 feet).

Congratulations :D

I have to say, I love dual deploy, though I tend to go for higher main deployments than that (800-1000 feet).
Depends on the size of the field, I'm sure! With a tethered rocket (no drogue) what is considered to be the lowest safe atitude for main out? 200'? With a main deploy at 1000', mine would still be at risk of drifting clear out of the field unless it was a dead calm day.

MK

Call me a wuss, but I wouldn't go lower than 400-500 feet or so. I do have large fields though, so drifting out isn't really a problem. If I regularly flew on a field with lots of trees, I might go lower than that.

Depends on the size of the field, I'm sure! With a tethered rocket (no drogue) what is considered to be the lowest safe atitude for main out? 200'? With a main deploy at 1000', mine would still be at risk of drifting clear out of the field unless it was a dead calm day.

MK

Adept at one time sold several altimeters that deployed mains at 250'. This was a very low deployment for mains in a 5.5" rocket with about 50 feet of webbing total. I witnessed several flights where the main would fully open followed by touchdown just seconds later. I fly one in a 4" dia. rocket, and the LCO comments often on low the mains deploy, but it's OK for about 20 feet of webbing and a fast opening chute. The actual deployment eats about 100 of the 250 feet.

Call me a wuss, but I wouldn't go lower than 400-500 feet or so. I do have large fields though, so drifting out isn't really a problem. If I regularly flew on a field with lots of trees, I might go lower than that.

Can't blame you there. I usually set for 500 feet on my RRC2's, 400 feet on my MAWD's. Drifting is a problem for me, so a drogueless descent to 400' can get quite exciting...

The altimeter that I have is the Perfect Flight High Altitude 45K. I got mine from apogee components. Its Great!!!

The one that I am building now is 2.34" in diameter. The anticipated apogee of this slim rocket on I and J motors is why I am planning on using dual deployment with it at some point. I also have some 3" scratch builds in the works that may also face the same issue. Obviously the smaller mass (and consequent slower terminal velocity during drogue-less descent) may permit a lower main deployment than would be possible with 5.5" rockets. At least, I hope so, because their size and mass are what will make them especially prone to drifting, I think.

I am anticipating a descent mass of less than 2 lbs. for the first one, with about 17 feet of webbing and a 30" main parachute. The apogee event will be motor-initiated.

MK

Last edited:
Great - that's the one that I was thinking of getting. :)

MK

I have one and really like it..Simple to set up with jumpers..I also have 2 RRC2Minis and like them as well..:)

Congrats on the DD flights Andrew! My first DD flight didn't go quite as well..But, I got the hang of it fairly quickly after learning where I screwed up.:eek: Too bad it took a crashed rocket, but, oh well..lol..

I have one and really like it..Simple to set up with jumpers..I also have 2 RRC2Minis and like them as well..:)

Congrats on the DD flights Andrew! My first DD flight didn't go quite as well..But, I got the hang of it fairly quickly after learning where I screwed up.:eek: Too bad it took a crashed rocket, but, oh well..lol..
The Raven is another option that I am considering too, though. Ditto the RRC2.

Andrew, another question: black powder or pyrodex?

MK

If you can get it, black powder is the way to go. Pyrodex is more finicky. As for altimeters? I love my pair of Ravens. The R-DAS is my absolute favorite, but it's in a completely different price range.

If you can get it, black powder is the way to go. Pyrodex is more finicky. As for altimeters? I love my pair of Ravens. The R-DAS is my absolute favorite, but it's in a completely different price range.
I should probably just check on this at a local gun shop, but since you're here, I'll ask: are there any special requirements or restrictions when someone wants to purchase small quantities of black powder?

MK

I haven't had any trouble, though (if I remember right), it's technically only legal for use in black powder rifles, and you technically need a LEUP for other use. You want either FFFFg (4F) or FFFg (3F) - the more Fs, the finer the powder, which is good for ejection charges.

Well, I might just have to take up that hobby, then (maybe). Thanks.

MK

When I got my can of BP at Bass Pro the only question they asked me was to see my ID..Just to verify I was over 21:rolleyes:

I got the black powder from a rocket vendor here in Oklahoma that attends all the rocket launches in northeatern Oklahoma. It is real black powder and I use the ejection canisters from Pratt hobbies to eject the parachute, but Pyrodex will work fine if your cover the canister in electrical tape. The only difference between real Black Powder and Pyrodex is that Pyrodex burns slower and needs to be contained using the tape to work properly. The Black Powder I got is FFFG.

Adept at one time sold several altimeters that deployed mains at 250'. This was a very low deployment for mains in a 5.5" rocket with about 50 feet of webbing total. I witnessed several flights where the main would fully open followed by touchdown just seconds later. I fly one in a 4" dia. rocket, and the LCO comments often on low the mains deploy, but it's OK for about 20 feet of webbing and a fast opening chute. The actual deployment eats about 100 of the 250 feet.

I have one of those altimeters, for my PML Nimbus. It has had had numerous successful flights with main deployment at 250', for me, it depends on the decent rate under drogue, and the size of the main chute. A 36" chute will open up pretty quick, where as one twice that size will take a little longer. The highest main deployment altitude i use is 800', and that rocket has a 12' main chute.

Jeremy

... for me, it depends on the decent rate under drogue, and the size of the main chute...

Also makes a huge difference when you are using a deployment bag (which I do for all my larger rockets). I have seen it take 200 feet in descent before the controlled deployment is complete.

Back