Largest Single-Use Rocket Motor Available?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claytonbirchenough

Reaction score
I was just curious about what the largest commercially available SINGLE-USE rocket motor is? I remember (I thought) seeing a motor in the N class?

I'm just looking to do some calculations haha:eyeroll: .

P.S. My first post :) .

CTI O25000.

If you're spending that much, you might as well consider a reloadable system... Also, if I recall correctly, both the N5800 and the O3400 (both reloadables near the boundary of N and O) have more delta-V than the O25000.

Thanks all! Also was wondering if there were any higher power motors ranging in the n class that have longer burn times?

Reload able motors. I believe there is the CTI N1560 with a 10.8 second burn.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Actually I think everything listed so far is technically a reload as they all involve an exterior case to be installed in. As far as I know, the largest truly use once and toss it out motor that does not require any external hardware is the new Aerotech M1350W-PS.

M1350 is the largest SU motor that doesn't require freight shipping though, so cost wise there's that.

Reload able motors. I believe there is the CTI N1560 with a 10.8 second burn.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
Best used in the sustainer of a large minimum diameter 2-stage project!

[video=youtube;aymy90jX3Dk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymy90jX3Dk[/video]

Wrong, 025000 and P8000 are truly single use, no loading involved, throw away when done motors.
I'm afraid to ask how much $$ CTI wants for those motors!

I just have to figure out how to keep it under the waiver at Midwest Power.

Last edited:
Best used in the sustainer of a large minimum diameter 2-stage project!

[video=youtube;aymy90jX3Dk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymy90jX3Dk[/video]

I'm afraid to ask how much $$ CTI wants for those motors!

Last I heard, 1500 and 3K,through Wildman.

I was thinking F-1. :)

Technically the RD-170 is a larger engine than the F-1. So the RD-170 is the largest single use engine.

Granted the F-1 is the largest single combustion chamber liquid rocket engine.

The 5 segment SRB on the Ares I wins for the most thrust of any rocket engine, but they recovered and reloaded them.

The SRB-A3 for japan's H-II rocket I think take the cake for the largest single use solid. I am not 100% sure they only used them once, but I cant find anything saying otherwise.

If you go into the realm of unlaunched but mostly designed rockets, the 3 segment RSRM Athena III configuration would win for the largest single use rocket motor. The 5 segment on the Liberty rocket might count as the biggest, but I cant remember if they had planned to recover it or not. I think they were since it was pretty much an Ares I with a piece of the Ariane on top.

Last edited:
Back