The Big 4-0 (and Giving thanks for my blessings)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emckee

Reaction score
So, despite my best intentions and everything I've tried over the past 39+ years to keep the day from coming, I'm going to turn 40 around the end of the month.

Seeing as it's a big milestone, my wife asked me what kind of birthday present would be really, truly special. Of course, after the obligatory "Wildman Darkstar Extreme" response, I got to thinking... What would be so special?

I am truly blessed: I have my wife and kids who love me (and whom all I love), I have my health, a good job, and a roof over my head - for all of which, I thank God's Grace. In the greater scheme of things, what more can a guy reasonably ask for? The only thing I really want for might be time to enjoy it all. Of course time is that most precious finite commodity, and is pretty hard to come by.

So, for those of you past the 4-0-mark, how did you celebrate? For those who have yet to get there (and yes, it comes to all the lucky), how would you mark the occasion?

-e

Almost 40? Young'un!

Cranky_Kong_DKCR.png

I took my Mom to Hawaii (back in my travel agent days) for her 60th. For my 40th, I did Cycle Oregon, 2009 (State of Jefferson (I'm a native Jeffersonian))

I don't usually do much for my own birthday, because the timing is so close to Christmas and the New Year that it just gets lost in the shuffle and overlooked. For 40, I pretty much treated it as a typical birthday, maybe kicked up a couple of notches. But my wife is showing me how it is done! For her 50th, we went to Italy... for a MONTH! My 50th is just over a year away, so I think I should start planning soon. I'm thinking another overseas trip would be good.

When you are turning 40, and especially if you have kids, maybe it's not the best time to really stretch your resources on a trip like that. But be sure to do something bucket list worthy! Experiences are going to count more than possessions when all is said and done. Do something worth remembering!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday! I turned 40 last month :) I usually don't have a lot of fanfare around my birthdays either, but a buddy of mine whose 40th was a few days after me wanted to do something memorable....he's now living in AZ, so with a good bit of pre-planning and organization we took several days and hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim. It was a fantastic trip and didn't cost much other than my airfare and some blisters. If you have the time I think it's worth the effort to do something special.

Something special is certainly the goal. And I agree entirely with the thought that experiences count more than possessions. After all, you can't take it with you, right?

A weekend out sounds about perfect, but I'll have to talk the in-laws into flying up and taking the kids...

-e

Back