Newbe to forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beriah

Reaction score
Obviously I am new to the forum, and I thought I was not not new to rockets. I started building rockets in Boy Scouts and now that I am a father, determined to get my son to like something other than video games, I got rockets. I am amazed at the amount of information and work there is for rockets. I am excited to learn how to build more advanced rockets, and hopefully get my son excited about building them as well.

Hi, new guy :) That's a nice thing about rocketry, proceeding at your pace. Put up photo's, we love pictures :)

Welcome!
Depending on just how long ago you were a scout you may find things have changed - for the better
more vendors, more options, and bigger rockets

One major suggestion would be to see if there are any local clubs near you and attend some of their launches

Otherwise there is still a ton of information available here and people willing to help

There is a condition though.... post pictures of your activities - builds, launches, successes and failures
(and there really is no condition for help - but we just love pictures)

Enjoy and have fun

Welcome Back!

I'd suggest it's time to give back... Get involved with some kind of Scouting or school group, and do some building and launching.

+1 on sharing photos.

Welcome Back!

I'd suggest it's time to give back... Get involved with some kind of Scouting or school group, and do some building and launching.

+1 on sharing photos.

I am a 5th/6th grade teacher, my students have been building paper rockets. January we begin Science, we will be incorporating rockets into our Science.

I am a 5th/6th grade teacher, my students have been building paper rockets. January we begin Science, we will be incorporating rockets into our Science.

Great! There's far too little science in public "education," and you're in a position to inspire an interest in both science and math. Are you tied to specific standards with specific goals set for each day as some states require? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Let me echo the good advice to look for a local club, to watch a launch and to get advice, and maybe some help at building, or supplies.
I didn't have the benefit of going through Scouting launches, but I would think group builds and classroom rocketine projects would also be supportive.

I picked up a used copy of Harry L. Stine's maunal to Model Rocketry Handbook off Amazon dot com for pennies on the dollar when I started, and it has a wealth of information that doesn't really go out of date.

And then, of course, there's this forum which is great for interactions, support, questions and more!

Welcome!

if you have a bit about history, rocketry would make a good lead into Chinese history. the book; "The genius of China by Robert Temple" is a good read. they have been inventing stuff for over 3000 years.
Rex

Welcome, ++++ lots, everybody here loves pictures. Pictures may even allow someone to catch a design trick/flaw that would be useful for all of us, besides its just cool to see what others are doing with their rockets.

Great! There's far too little science in public "education," and you're in a position to inspire an interest in both science and math. Are you tied to specific standards with specific goals set for each day as some states require? I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

We have standards that guide us, but we have the freedom to decide how to teach those standards.

Let me echo the good advice to look for a local club, to watch a launch and to get advice, and maybe some help at building, or supplies.
I didn't have the benefit of going through Scouting launches, but I would think group builds and classroom rocketine projects would also be supportive.

I picked up a used copy of Harry L. Stine's maunal to Model Rocketry Handbook off Amazon dot com for pennies on the dollar when I started, and it has a wealth of information that doesn't really go out of date.

And then, of course, there's this forum which is great for interactions, support, questions and more!

Welcome!

I did find a club in Columbus. Once spring comes I will try to get out for some events.

Let us know how rocketry does at weaning the young ones off video games. It's a tall order, but your idea is a great one. Good luck.

Welcome to the fold. There's low power, mid-power, and high power to keep you going for a long time.

Welcome to TRF :clap:
I took my sons friend to a launch with us last summer. The whole ride there all he did was yak about video games.
After we got there and he saw a few launches, all he did was yak about rockets.
So it ts possible to at least distract them from gaming.

Oh, +1 on joining a club.

Hi and welcome!

Great to see another educator enter the fold. If you haven't already checked it out, you should look into the TARC program administered by the NAR - see https://www.rocketcontest.org/. This is a national rocket engineering program/competition aimed at middle/high school students. The TARC nationals held annually near Washington DC is one of the largest sport rocketry events in existence. Each year students get a different set of mission parameters to fly, typically involving carrying an egg to a pre-determined altitude or flight duration.

Back