Software for L3 documentation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this on the HPR forum too:

No, this isn't a question about what "has" to be in L3 documentation. The rules are out there for me to read.:grin:

Since I live in the boondocks and nobody in my town does what I do, I documented a couple of builds either one could be used for an L3 attempt. I nixed the 1st generation Dominator 4 since I set it up for magnetic switches and the tubes are a little short than the current offering. I put a coupler ring in to carry the ebay load and used Duralco 4525. I will eventually fly it when I outfit the ebay and mount the magnetic switches.

The 4" Extreme Wildman I built stock with a longer upper bay with Duralco 4525 (except the external fillets) and a switch band for lockswitches.

I did a bunch of pictures and videoed some assembly steps with yours truly and I'd like to put it all on DVD. I have access to MS
Office and Open Office. Ideally, I'd like to be able to merge the video in the document say with a frame and of course I'd have a caption and then a reader could click and have the video run from the DVD. Is that possible?

Any pointers to information, sites for references would be appreciated on how to pull this document off. I'm not an Office or video maven. Video-wise I can cut stuff out of clips with VLC but I did my clips keeping in mind I don't have the smarts to do complex editing. I do have the ability to convert from one video format to another. The current Media Player 12 I see doesn't do .avi files.

The thing about doing the documentation in this manner is I can easily mail the DVD to a potential TAP for perusal. Thanks in advance for any advice.:smile: Kurt

You should get your TAPs on board with your build before you even start and ask them the question. The videos sound really cool but it might be unnecessary. Still photos and print outs from RockSim were all that my TAPs required. I put everything on a website for them to view and also created a PDF for emailing.

You should get your TAPs on board with your build before you even start and ask them the question. The videos sound really cool but it might be unnecessary. Still photos and print outs from RockSim were all that my TAPs required. I put everything on a website for them to view and also created a PDF for emailing.

Nope, Too far away from anyone except the TAP in the prefecture. Am not doing this through NAR. The documentation will be complete and the build techniques are standard. I am not helpless nor do I need hand-holding. Been at this for 9 years, done multiple DD in thin walled rockets and pushed glassed one's to 10'k.

I agree the videos are unnecessary but I want to leave no doubt I'm the one doing the project. I'm in a position where the club prefect is a TAP and can vouch for me.

I've seen situations where a candidate contacts the appropriate persons before a major launch, shows up and after documentation review and perhaps a rocket inspection does the cert flight. I've seen the opposite though it was 7 years ago, where a TAP made a candidate bring the unfinished rocket back and forth six times during construction for "INSPECTIONS" before he would consider "signing" the paperwork. The poor flier had to drag the rocket assembly over a fair distance to get to this TAP too. That was totally uncalled for baloney but that's what the flier had to put up with because there was not one else nearby. Kurt

Yes you can embed videos in documents but you should realize that video files are very large so your document can easily become too large to e-mail. I would simply put photos in the word document.

A better approach might be to make a powerpoint presentation based on your word document. You can have a comment plane with text and embed the videos in the slide presentation. The advantage is that provided you have all the videos in the same directory, your presentation will run. It is easy to send n emails or have an on-line source of the videos that your readers can download the videos in small chuncks. If they don't want/have to see the videos, they can still view the powerpoint presentation.

Bob

I did my level 3 with Ms word. Inserted lots of photos most of which were about 300k in size. No videos needed. I inserted photos of me working on parts of the project. Submitted it on a cd to the TAP with the word doc, extra photos, that is all.

Back