High Power Parachutes, Stock or Aftermarket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
https://www.the-rocketman.com/chutes.html
The RocketMan parachutes are awesome! I now own 3 of them. They have a Great Price, better
than others of similar design.
They are adjustable and only have 4 shroud lines.
I purchased a 4' chute for my LOC IV, the kit came with a 3'. I used this set-up
for my Level 1 Cert. flight and it came down straight with No swinging from side to side
like the standard ones do with most kits. The decent was around 15 mph.
When the chute opened up it was gentle and didn't "pop" open like stock chutes do. I can't say enough about how nice these chute are! 1.1 ounce rip stop nylon. Light and easy to fold.
Next flight I'm going to cinch it up a bit to make it smaller in opening so it won't drift as much.

I purchased an 8' RocketMan chute for my Magnum 3 and the simulation shows around 13.8 mph, nice and gentle landing.
It will be deployed at 600 feet with a back up charge going off at 500 feet.
Here's a picture of the 8' chute, using a STIHL Leaf Blower to inflate it.
8 foot RM Chute 2.jpgRocket man 8 foot parachute.jpg

What's in your Rocket?

JP

My LOC-IV drifted so much with the stock 36" chute that I ended up using a 30" top flight. With a grass field, 20-25 fps velocities are not a problem.

My LOC-IV drifted so much with the stock 36" chute that I ended up using a 30" top flight. With a grass field, 20-25 fps velocities are not a problem.

My LOC IV was probably built heavier than most. I didn't want to bust a fin on my Certification flight!

JP

I've never bought an after market chute and seldom use stock chutes. I make most of my own. I think I get the best of both worlds. Low cost and superior performance.

Next ones will be made from actual parachute ripstop, the 0.75 oz material. Strong, light, and packs smaller then the 1.1 oz does. The draw back is the material costs almost double.

I've never bought an after market chute and seldom use stock chutes. I make most of my own. I think I get the best of both worlds. Low cost and superior performance.

Next ones will be made from actual parachute ripstop, the 0.75 oz material. Strong, light, and packs smaller then the 1.1 oz does. The draw back is the material costs almost double.

Have you considered cutting your patterns from a Surplus Chute?
I had a huge one years ago that had the lines cut off and it was cheap.

JP

I make a lot of my own. Most of them are based on the Vatsaas Brothers design with some variations. I use thin "calendared" ripstop, which makes for chutes that pack up really small for their performance. They are far and away my favorite chutes.

That said, I've collected a fair amount of "commercial" parachutes as well - regular old TopFlights, a few Spherachutes (which are excellent), and a couple of Rocketmans (which are similar to the ones I make but are much bulkier). I use these a lot too, and they all have their purpose.

One thing about my own chute use is that, due to very hard landing surfaces, I often have to upsize my parachutes in a given rocket compared to the normal recommended size. Sometimes by dramatic amounts - as much as double the size in some instances. Due to this, it's often VERY important for me to use chutes that pack really small. This is what led me to making my own in fact, as commercially available chutes that pack super tiny for their performance are generally pretty expensive. I'm glad I went that direction though - it's one more thing I "scratch build" and I've got what I think are some cool chutes. Which also didn't cost me all that much. So a win all around.

Make your own! it's totally worth doing.

s6

Stealth-dumb question but since you sew your own, is it by hand or do use use a machine? If so, what kind and what kind of investment?

Tim. I use a machine. I'm lucky enough to have one "in the house" as the missus is quite the seamstress who makes/alters a lot of her own clothes. I'm also lucky in that she taught me the basics enough for me to get started. And of course, for the fact that she let's me use her machine!

I doubt I'd actually purchase a machine to do this, but maybe. I imagine lots of flyers have spouses or significant others or mothers who have machines already though. For those that do, it's worth learning the basic skills - I also make my own nomex blankets (buy cheap used fireman's clothing off ebay for the material), wraps for things like trackers, etc. Plus I can patch my own clothes, make stuff sacks/bags, and all kinds of other useful things that aren't rocketry related.

s6

I make a lot of my own. Most of them are based on the Vatsaas Brothers design with some variations. I use thin "calendared" ripstop, which makes for chutes that pack up really small for their performance. They are far and away my favorite chutes.

That said, I've collected a fair amount of "commercial" parachutes as well - regular old TopFlights, a few Spherachutes (which are excellent), and a couple of Rocketmans (which are similar to the ones I make but are much bulkier). I use these a lot too, and they all have their purpose.

One thing about my own chute use is that, due to very hard landing surfaces, I often have to upsize my parachutes in a given rocket compared to the normal recommended size. Sometimes by dramatic amounts - as much as double the size in some instances. Due to this, it's often VERY important for me to use chutes that pack really small. This is what led me to making my own in fact, as commercially available chutes that pack super tiny for their performance are generally pretty expensive. I'm glad I went that direction though - it's one more thing I "scratch build" and I've got what I think are some cool chutes. Which also didn't cost me all that much. So a win all around.

Make your own! it's totally worth doing.

s6
I could probably borrow my mothers sewing machine. It would be enjoyable no doubt.
I've got one web site saved that has allot of information on making your own chutes.

You can never get too much information on HPR. If you've got some links please post
them.
Thanks for all the input!

JP

Tim. I use a machine. I'm lucky enough to have one "in the house" as the missus is quite the seamstress who makes/alters a lot of her own clothes. I'm also lucky in that she taught me the basics enough for me to get started. And of course, for the fact that she let's me use her machine!

I doubt I'd actually purchase a machine to do this, but maybe. I imagine lots of flyers have spouses or significant others or mothers who have machines already though. For those that do, it's worth learning the basic skills - I also make my own nomex blankets (buy cheap used fireman's clothing off ebay for the material), wraps for things like trackers, etc. Plus I can patch my own clothes, make stuff sacks/bags, and all kinds of other useful things that aren't rocketry related.

s6

Thanks! Something to consider. What do you use for shroud line?

Thanks! Something to consider. What do you use for shroud line?

Depends on the size of the chute (and the weight of the rocket it's attached to). For the smaller ones, I use thin braided nylon, like what you see on commercial chutes from TopFlight etc. Mid-sized, I use 2.5-3mm perlon cord (the stuff sold as "accessory cord" by climbing/mountaineering vendors). For larger ones, I move up to nylon webbing, or kevlar braided cord.

s6

Make sure the sewing machine is tuned up properly and go slowly until you get good at sewing. Been there done that, and my wife has a darn good machine (Janome at over 1k dollars) the learning curve isn't too steep but it does take some practice.

You can pick up a used sewing machine on Ebay at a reasonable price. You don't need anything fancy, just a straight stitch and zig-zag.
The newer machines have multiple options, however, the older machines are more reliable and heavier-duty.
I buy my supplies from Quest Outfitters. Generally, I use the 1.1oz Silnylon. The seconds are a little less expensive and the quality is excellent. They offer a ton of other supplies.
I have used the Vataas design as well as several others. Just finished a 90" X-Form for a 98mm MD. Total weight less than 8oz. Also make my own deployment bags, chute protectors, etc..
I don't make my own chutes to save money. It is more about the personal satisfaction of doing it myself.

Well, I have B2 Skyangle, Giant Leap Tac-1, several Top Flight chutes, and a Recon chute ( which I think is made by Top Flight) too. I like the Rocketman stuff even though I do not own any- it is a good quality product.

I also have seen the Fruity Chutes Iris chutes, and I might try that in the future too.

Many fine choices available.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I was taught to sew by my mother 45 years ago. I had her old machine for quite a while and bought a low end Singer from Walmart when I got serious about making my own chutes. Of course it is also used for lots of other things. Don't listen to the folks that talk about the significant others having, using, teaching you how to use a sewing machine. My wife would have a hard time plugging it in, much less using it. I'm the expert and proud of it! It's not that hard to learn.

As for shroud lines, I bought a 3000 ft spool of 150 lb braided Dacron several years ago on clearance for $15 from a kite shop and have more then half left. It's about 3/32" diameter and is the same stuff used for the pull cords on 1" window blinds. It was on clearance so I didn't get a choice on color. I've used it on chutes to 60"

All of my favorite chutes are home made, a lot of them from old umbrellas. I'm amazed how well an old golf umbrella will hold up as a 53" chute for a 10 lb rocket.

For my L3 I'm using the LOC Large Angel Chute with a Large Deployment Bag. The pilot chute for the deployment bag will be an 18" circular chute. My drogue will be a LOC Angel Drogue.

Is the Vatsaas design chutes a 4 shroud line or 8?

JP

I think it is 4, but have not looked at their site in quite some time.

I think it is similar to the Rocketman type, I think it is called a quarter hemisphere or something similar.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back