New Member Introduction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanfar

Reaction score
I haven't found any rules in this vein, but other forums I've been on make it mandatory or at least "good form" to make your first post an introduction. Therefore…

Hello, my name is Matthew, I'm a BAR from Boise, Idaho. I'm an Electrical Engineer that moved out here for work three years ago from Phoenix.

I Started model rocketry as a kid in about 1992, still remember my Halloween Alpha 3 that came with my launch kit. I've always been an on-and-off modeler, so I quickly added numerous kits to my inventory. I remember a Big Bertha that was always fun, and the Estes Tomcat which failed to deploy and did an amazing lawn dart impression about 10′ from the park's playground (we definitely should have been using a different launch site, but I was 12 and didn't know better)--scaring me enough to put the hobby away for a while.

As the winter rolls in on this part of the country, and the motorcycle is put up for the season, I've been looking for a low-impact hobby to occupy my time. It used to be a tradition in my family to launch rockets at our annual Christmas gathering, and now that my neices and nephews are old enough to enjoy watching a launch, I figured I could take it up again.

It appears that Idaho has a fairly active Tripoli/NAR club in the area, and I am planning on attending their next meeting. Meanwhile, a few kits are on their way from AC Supply Co. with the intent of casually attempting the NARTrek Bronze goals when launching starts again.

Anywho, that ended up being much longer than intended. Thanks for all the help I've already found here, and I guess I'll see y'all around.

P.S. Any SW Idaho members: I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the Tripoli Idaho club, and other LPR launch sites.

Lemme be the first to say... 歡迎 (Welcome)

Now you need to get out there and do some builds, launch some rockets, and share lotsa photos with us.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Winter is a great time for building (and selectively launching)--welcome!

I don't know if it's the right thing to say but I'm one :) Good club, good people, pretty active until it drys out. Many make the pilgrimage to Black Rock during this time to fly on the dry lake to keep flying. I think there's like 4-5 here fairly active on the forum and I know VernK lurks ;) Vern is in development of a real time downlink voice thingie that is pretty cool. Another member vcp wrote an early design program that I really liked but can't get to work in Windows 7 64 bit :p So I'm getting my old 1 gig 386 computer just to run it, no net connection ;)

TheSamaurai, VernK, and vcp are three, I make 4 and I know there's more. For as small as the club is there's a fairly large number here from Idaho.
Just remember when you go to a Tripoli launch, big rockets are addicting, almost as bad a cigarettes and the worse/best thing about is they keep getting bigger :)

Welcome to the forum and +1 on the NARTREK program. I found it a great way to cover the basics and push yourself into some areas that are new to you.
As a returning BAR you are probably going to be bitten by the high power bug. It gets most of us.

I don't know if it's the right thing to say but I'm one :) Good club, good people, pretty active until it drys out. Many make the pilgrimage to Black Rock during this time to fly on the dry lake to keep flying. I think there's like 4-5 here fairly active on the forum and I know VernK lurks ;) Vern is in development of a real time downlink voice thingie that is pretty cool. Another member vcp wrote an early design program that I really liked but can't get to work in Windows 7 64 bit :p So I'm getting my old 1 gig 386 computer just to run it, no net connection ;)

TheSamaurai, VernK, and vcp are three, I make 4 and I know there's more. For as small as the club is there's a fairly large number here from Idaho.
Just remember when you go to a Tripoli launch, big rockets are addicting, almost as bad a cigarettes and the worse/best thing about is they keep getting bigger :)

Don't forget me I make five or is it six?

Thanks, everyone.

Dave & rocketjet: Do either of you have a local suggestion for kits and supplies? I stopped at HobbyTown yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed, but it looked like they might still be moving into a larger space.

Thanks, everyone.

Dave & rocketjet: Do either of you have a local suggestion for kits and supplies? I stopped at HobbyTown yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed, but it looked like they might still be moving into a larger space.

Yeah there is a local motor and Aerotech dealer that lives in Nampa PM me if you want his e-mail. Also try Hobby Lobby this is where I have found any thing from A to F motors. They also have a nice selection of kits.

Because I scratch build I get just about all my supplies online. About the only things I get locally is glue, paint, and the occasional balsa sheet.

And zanfar, was Hobby Town just enlarging the rocket space or are the moving the whole store again?

Also try Hobby Lobby this is where I have found any thing from A to F motors. They also have a nice selection of kits.

Thanks, sometimes I forget that model rocketry makes it down to this end of the hobby stores. Sometime this week I will have to brave the Boise Ice Capades and make it down to Eagle Rd. I think there's a Michael's down there too that might make the drive worth it.

was Hobby Town just enlarging the rocket space or are the moving the whole store again?

I'm pretty sure they were moving locations, I remember a "Hobby Town Entrance Now Over Here" sign, or it's like. Their selection of rockets was pretty bare: mostly e2x and some bulk packs, one Astron II launcher, and a very few engines inside a locked glass cabinet. I was surprised, because their selection of other hobby supplies seemed excellent. This was the location on Ustick, if there are more than one.

Thanks, sometimes I forget that model rocketry makes it down to this end of the hobby stores. Sometime this week I will have to brave the Boise Ice Capades and make it down to Eagle Rd. I think there's a Michael's down there too that might make the drive worth it.

I'm pretty sure they were moving locations, I remember a "Hobby Town Entrance Now Over Here" sign, or it's like. Their selection of rockets was pretty bare: mostly e2x and some bulk packs, one Astron II launcher, and a very few engines inside a locked glass cabinet. I was surprised, because their selection of other hobby supplies seemed excellent. This was the location on Ustick, if there are more than one.

That's the place. They were over in a smaller space in the main building but I guess where they moved to across the parking lot was way more space and lower rent. And, yeah, their space and effort towards rocketry fluxulates a lot but with Christmas coming up I can see the display enlarging but mostly with toy RTF's :p

Don't forget about the Hobby Lobby coupon, good for 40% off one item. If you are a smart phone user, you can simply show it on your phone and receive the discount. Bookmark the site and have the current coupon at your finger tips for each visit! Makes for some inexpensive kits and motors!

Swung back by Hobby Town again today (after using my 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby for a Mini Bertha) and they had easily tripled their selection. Still mostly E2X and Astron II kits, but with some Quest kits too. Model-wise, the two stores are now mostly equivalent. The Lobby did have a better selection of motors and accessories, though. Including several E-Pads and controllers.

I will be at the next Tripoli Idaho meeting Dec. 3rd at Idaho Pizza on Fairview (as if you guys don't know) I'm the grey guy with long hair and a beard. I really haven't done much for a long time but that's changing. I met TheSamurai and his young son and would like to meet all that post here and are Idahoan. If the weather wasn't so crappy it'd be nice to get together to fly low power but snow and rocketry are mutually exclusive....now. I'll have to about my rocket/snow adventure :)

It doesn't take much of an excuse for me to visit Idaho Pizza, so I'll be there as well. I'll be the big one with the red beard. Looking forward to meeting the Idaho folks.

I'll get some launch time in Arizona this December, but I will probably be too impatient not to attempt a snow launch sometime this season.

I haven't found any rules in this vein, but other forums I've been on make it mandatory or at least "good form" to make your first post an introduction. Therefore…

Hello, my name is Matthew, I'm a BAR from Boise, Idaho. I'm an Electrical Engineer that moved out here for work three years ago from Phoenix.

I Started model rocketry as a kid in about 1992, still remember my Halloween Alpha 3 that came with my launch kit. I've always been an on-and-off modeler, so I quickly added numerous kits to my inventory. I remember a Big Bertha that was always fun, and the Estes Tomcat which failed to deploy and did an amazing lawn dart impression about 10′ from the park's playground (we definitely should have been using a different launch site, but I was 12 and didn't know better)--scaring me enough to put the hobby away for a while.

As the winter rolls in on this part of the country, and the motorcycle is put up for the season, I've been looking for a low-impact hobby to occupy my time. It used to be a tradition in my family to launch rockets at our annual Christmas gathering, and now that my neices and nephews are old enough to enjoy watching a launch, I figured I could take it up again.

It appears that Idaho has a fairly active Tripoli/NAR club in the area, and I am planning on attending their next meeting. Meanwhile, a few kits are on their way from AC Supply Co. with the intent of casually attempting the NARTrek Bronze goals when launching starts again.

Anywho, that ended up being much longer than intended. Thanks for all the help I've already found here, and I guess I'll see y'all around.

P.S. Any SW Idaho members: I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the Tripoli Idaho club, and other LPR launch sites.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Matthew/zanfar,

Looks like you're on the right track... You're in "good form" as far as I can see. Though you managed to put my pun out of commission ("Matthew" not "Matt"), I'll just have to wait to see what pun you're up to.

Post Pics... Always appreciated here on the forums.

All the Best!
Jim

Well, I guess I'll be the tall one with grey hair and no beard.

Are you the really tall guy who was there with other tall people? Dang, I should have stood up and said something about who I was but my un-natural reticence stopped me again. I'll have a nametag come the January meeting heh

Are you the really tall guy who was there with other tall people? Dang, I should have stood up and said something about who I was but my un-natural reticence stopped me again. I'll have a nametag come the January meeting heh

Q: How do you know if the engineer that you are talking to is out going?
A: He looks at YOUR shoes when he talks to you.

Yes, I was at the opposite end of the table with the other tall people. My wife was seated at the very end of the table. I did say hello to zanfar but that was about it.

Welcome! I have lurked here for awhile and just now created an account.
I'm horrible with putting names to faces. but I've probably already seen you at a meeting :)
Another Boise guy here. (well ok, Nampa)

Back