to smoke or not to smoke, that is the question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threejsrocketry

Reaction score
Turkey day is almost here and I have to decide whether to smoke the bird or to go traditional. Both are good. Just different. What does everyone else like?

We did the deep fry thing once. It was OK, but I don't see the need to do it again. Smoked sounds interesting. I'd try that if I had access to a smoker...

Adrian

Two smaller turkeys and do one of each. Choice is nice.

Last year my cousin and her husband made a traditional roasted and a grilled turkey. I had a little of both and they were great.

You can dish turkey out in any fashion and I'll like it. Turkey ain't my bag this year though. I dishing out one of these.

Classic Glazed Ham.jpg

I've always just roasted mine. I think I have it down to a fine art now, never dry and always delish. That said, one of my customers always smokes a goose---I gotta tell ya--THAT'S SOME GOOD EATIN

I enjoy a traditional roasted turkey, with our old family stuffing recipe. Can't wait to endulge in all the food.

My favorite method of cooking turkey is BBQ. I put it on a rotisserie and slow cook it, always turns out great.

smoke it...... :)
5778757743_c0718e063e.jpg

I've deep fried several. always a good time.

From camping, we've also come across an interesting way to cook it. plant a stake in the ground, cover it with foil. drop a bunch of coals around it. Put a bird on the stake. cover it with a small metal can. Cover can with coals.

This photo is of a semi-failure, but it was nice and moist. typically, the bird doesn't explode.... lol Dont use a 20 pound turkey for this...

8364038702_32858502b8.jpg

Depends on your guests. I like smoked turkey, but with our crowd only half would eat it. Now some smoked salmon or whitefish for appetizers...

Smoked is my preference but any version of low and slow cooking can turn out a moist and tasty bird.

We did one in a 20qt dutch oven one time. I think the turkey was around 10lb and it cooked for about 8hrs. The bird just fell off the bone when we took it out, carving was not an option but I have never had one as moist and juicy. I think we burned 2 1/2 bags of charcoal for that one.

I like both styles. Traditional for the gravy, and smoked for the flavor of the bird. Can't have both very easily, but the boss has spoken and we will have a smoked bird. She will make turkey stock from scratch for gravy and we will use my pellet grill to do the bird. Last year we had a mishap with the grill. Everything was going well and the probe failed near the end of the cook. We ended up with a crunchy over cooked bird. We have a new probe from the manufacturer and do not want to accept failure till we get it right.

I am doing my first ever smoked turkey today as we speak. Our son is home for the weekend from UCF in Florida and, since he won't be here at Thanksgiving, we are doing Turkey Day today. I usually do the traditional, but since I just bought a smoker, I am taking the plunge. Been on 3 hours already, on applewood. Another 6 to go!

Mike

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

I prefer smoked. This recipe has never let us down, https://bbqu.net/season3/303_4.html

That said, I have to +1 the idea of doing 2 smaller birds because it would not please everyone in the family.

PS. Just might have to try that bacon wrapped bad boy!

No Smoke, smoking is a non-traditional invention by whatever party you do not identify with. Democrats bury charcoal to preserve the environment and Republicans use actual coal from West Virginia to "smoke" their consumables (mostly campaign contributions).

Trying a smoked turkey this year. I've got this digital temperature controller for my Weber Bullet, so holding 220F overnight should be a cinch.

I've roasted them, and smoked them. The past few years, I've been going to my brother's house, and we've been deep frying them. They cook a *lot* faster (~45 minutes), and are jucy and moist.

That sounds perfect to me!!! Turkey is best when it takes a glass of water per slice. Adrian

I remember an episode of "Cheers!" where Woody's girlfriend asked him about his grandmother's dressing*
"So dry it could make you gag!", he said. Our grandmother must have gone to the same cooking school (and that's just how I like mine, too).

* you DO know the difference between dressing and stuffing, don't you?

Back