yes, another min diameter rocket...but not built yet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
I love all kinds of rockets. Bu lately i have been thinking of high altitude and mach numbers.

Goal: go as fast and high as I can using a CTI 6 grain first stage and a CTI 6 grain XL as the upper stage and a sport RRC3. (restricted by my budget and also by the fact that I want to use some of what I have)

Question: If I buy the wildman blackhawk 38 and use only one of its two tubes for the upper stage, and the second as a lower stage, given the fact that it could reach mach 2.5:grin:, will just using the JB-weld that comes with it be sufficient to hold the fins on?
also, will its advertised 500 degree F withstand aerodynamic heating at that speed?

Would it be better to scratch build it from aluminum, even though performance would be lost due to added weight?

Thanks Julian

I love all kinds of rockets. Bu lately i have been thinking of high altitude and mach numbers.

Goal: go as fast and high as I can using a CTI 6 grain first stage and a CTI 6 grain XL as the upper stage and a sport RRC3. (restricted by my budget and also by the fact that I want to use some of what I have)

Question: If I buy the wildman blackhawk 38 and use only one of its two tubes for the upper stage, and the second as a lower stage, given the fact that it could reach mach 2.5:grin:, will just using the JB-weld that comes with it be sufficient to hold the fins on?
also, will its advertised 500 degree F withstand aerodynamic heating at that speed?

Would it be better to scratch build it from aluminum, even though performance would be lost due to added weight?

Thanks Julian

One more thing is this rocket stable at Mach 2.5 this should be 1.25 cal through out the flight is it??????

Thanks Julian

The stuff that comes with Blackhawks is Proline 4500 and not JB weld. The TG on the Proline is unknown (but believed to be in the 250-500 range) and the TG of JB weld is 500F. Personally, I'd say both are okay but I prefer JB weld because I know what the TG is.
If I were you, I'd completely redesign the Blackhawk so that it's as short as possible. Blackhawks already have a ton of "dead space" that can be cut out. You might also want to redesign the fins to be more efficient. As to wether you need further reinforcement, it's too tough to make a call this early. Fin shape is just as important as reinforcement. Good luck with the build.

Alex

I would recommend proline 4500 for the tacking the fins and the fillets.

This works if you have time and a jig to hold them in place.

4500 used to "tack" on fins is not tacking them on in my opinion. It is slower curing epoxy.

It is very useful for fillets.

Back