GLAZED HAM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Surely some of you remember seeing that really festive ham on Tday or on Cmas day, that was the food star at the dinner table. All duded up with whole cloves, pineapple rings with Maraschino cherries pegged in the center. There was a simple glaze my mom used back in the 60's, and it was to die for. I reasonably remember it didn't have any mustard in it, so it's not necessary to post those recipes. I thought I had it. I do have her old recipe note book, and it's not in there, and anyone in my family that might have known it, has died already. I'd really be interested in what the southern folks in this bunch could share, if they can. No offense to the rest of the country here, I just figure it was a suth'n thang.

DAK,.... Delicious!.... HAMMMMMM!!!!!

That was the Jingle from the DAK Commercials in the early 80s'.

DAK,.... Delicious!.... HAMMMMMM!!!!!

That was the Jingle from the DAK Commercials in the early 80s'.

DOOD! I'm not talking about a canned ham. YUCKERS! This would be a ham, in the raw, baked to perfection. I really don't fly on the quick and easy these days. Your mom or your grandma might know about this. If you were making fun at DAK hams, I get it...LOL

DOOD! I'm not talking about a canned ham. YUCKERS! This would be a ham, in the raw, baked to perfection. I really don't fly on the quick and easy these days. Your mom or your grandma might know about this. If you were making fun at DAK hams, I get it...LOL

No, I was'nt suggesting actually eating a Canned Ham, it's just that any time I see anything Ham related, that Jingle comes to mind.
My Mom is a crazy skilled Cook, and has two Bookcases full of Cookbooks.
It's kinda' late to give her a Call now, but she's big on Cooking and watching Cooking Shows and a total Foody, so I'll ask her if she knows the type of Recipe you are looking for tomorrow. If she does, or has it in one of her Books, I'll go over to her House and get a Copy/Copies for you.

No, I was'nt suggesting actually eating a Canned Ham, it's just that any time I see anything Ham related, that Jingle comes to mind.
My Mom is a crazy skilled Cook, and has two Bookcases full of Cookbooks.
It's kinda' late to give her a Call now, but she's big on Cooking and watching Cooking Shows and a total Foody, so I'll ask her if she knows the type of Recipe you are looking for tomorrow. If she does, or has it in one of her Books, I'll go over to her House and get a Copy/Copies for you.

You would do that? How kind! I did a lot of online research already, but I question most of what I found. Given it's likely to be an old recipe, I figure it's as simple as brown sugar and pineapple juice, reduced to a syrup, and added in the last hour of baking. My mom was no gourmet cook, quite southern actually. It had to be a simple recipe.

You would do that? How kind! I did a lot of online research already, but I question most of what I found. Given it's likely to be an old recipe, I figure it's as simple as brown sugar and pineapple juice, reduced to a syrup, and added in the last hour of baking. My mom was no gourmet cook, quite southern actually. It had to be a simple recipe.

No problem. Can't hurt to ask her. She's a Northerner, but she does all the different Styles of Cooking because she loves to Cook.
With all the Cookbooks she has there's gotta' be something helpful she can suggest.
I'll just log in from her House and show her this Thread.

Gary, brown sugar and lemon juice is what the mom used to use. Grapefruit juice was not as common back in the day.Reduce to a syrup--we go 80/20. Garnish with grapefruit rings.

No problem. Can't hurt to ask her. She's a Northerner, but she does all the different Styles of Cooking because she loves to Cook.
With all the Cookbooks she has there's gotta' be something helpful she can suggest.
I'll just log in from her House and show her this Thread.

Cool beans. Looking forward to what she has to offer, Thanks.

Gary, brown sugar and lemon juice is what the mom used to use. Grapefruit juice was not as common back in the day.Reduce to a syrup--we go 80/20. Garnish with grapefruit rings.

Apparently a citrus base was the given method. Pineapple juice is readily available with the given can of pineapple rings. Not sure how grapefruit enters in. I never heard of canned grapefruit in the 60's.

Apparently a citrus base was the given method. Pineapple juice is readily available with the given can of pineapple rings. Not sure how grapefruit enters in. I never heard of canned grapefruit in the 60's.
Me either, and the hams weren't spiral cut or precooked . She added a touch of cinnamon too--just enough for aroma. Boy I miss those days, she'd be up at 4 in the morning cooking TG dinner. Dinner was served around 6 that night. Apple pie--pumpkin pie--the bird--yams--green beans--mashed taters--rolls---Oh yea, we had a great breakfast that day too!! Don't know how she did it.

Always wanted one of those Custom Deluxe hams you described. Down here we usually have a honeybaked, but I may have to get fancy this year.

My dad was a good ole southern boy

IIRC this was the mix

Brown sugar (lots)
A touch of cinnamon
A very very thin coat of yellow mustard & the juice from the canned pineapple to to hold it on.
Pineapple rings
Maraschino cherries in the holes
Whole cloves dispersed along the top.

This goes on as the ham goes in the oven and the carmelizatio takes place while baking.

My wife is not a ham-a-holic like I am so I have not had this in 35 years or so.

Oh yes - this must be served with corn bread and black-eyed peas.

Just called my Mom, and she started digging, but I asked her to E-mail me Scans of the Glaze Recipes rather than me try to write them all down over the Phone.
She did mention one right off the Bat that she said is a Southern Style Glaze that is composed of:

Onion
Butter
Ketcup
Then either Pineapple, Orange or Apricot Preserves
Worcestershire Sauce

She said she'll dig some up for me to share so I'll be back to this Thread again later.

This Thread is making me Hungry!

My wife is not a ham-a-holic like I am so I have not had this in 35 years or so.

Oh yes - this must be served with corn bread and black-eyed peas.

Probably been 40+ years for me. I think I was a teen last time I had it this way. All I remember is, there was no better ham to be had. The quick and easy came into play with precooked and spiral cuts dominating this wonderful method that seems to have taken a back seat. I do Tday with my older brother anymore, and everybody brings something. Usually scratch made, except for the ham. I have no idea what the hell kinda ham it is, but it's not worthy. I plan to change all that this year and give em all something to talk about. Last year I rocked them with a scratch made brown sugar pound cake with caramel icing....YUM!

Bundt Cake.JPG

Mom called me back to say that most of the Glaze Recipes she has have Mustard, but she found one online that specifically has "No Mustard".
She's sending me the Link now.

Here ya' go:

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/brown-sugar-ham-glaze-without-mustard

Thank You! This is starting to confirm my previous notion. She either did it with pineapple juice or orange juice, or both, with brown sugar. Think I might make have to make 2 half batches using different juices. If they both turn out good, I could probably combine the two just a little, for a taste test. Tell mom I said a great big thanks.

Back