How many people here are engineers, and if so what kind?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer? If so what kind?

• Computer

• Software

• Aerospace

• Mechanical

• Chemical

• Biomedical

• Electrical

• Aeronautical

• Civil

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just noticed this, so I'll put my two bits in...

I'm an AM/FM radio broadcast engineer. I use some of the same products that CGould's company sells.

ME by schooling. AE by company. Engineer engineer by current role - my job is to make the engineers play nice in the sandbox.

"Hey! Don't you dare leave that turd there without at least kicking some sand over it."

Funny, I'm gonna steal that line!

Current job title is aerospace engineer. BS in CS and MS in Space Studies...

BSEE

I am now doing circuit board test, designing the test and developing the interface between the board and our company's test rack. This is a step up from the manufacturing support that I've done most of my career.

In previous lives, I was an electronic technician, and before that, a Missile Systems Analyst.

BS in Electrical Engineering, Masters of Divinity. Probably not too many folk with that particular combination.

That may be a really good combo. I was an electrical engineer (retired now), and certainly remember praying for a design's success!

Transportation Engineer...Pothole and, mile marker counter unofficially employed by the states of Illinois/Indiana.
I make note of road anamolies and, avoid hitting them again from behind the wheel of my Semi Truck.

"My lack of education hasn't hurt me none, I can read the writing on the checks..."

My previous response to this thread was electrical engineer. But now I’m proud to say that I’m a retired engineer. I felt like I was turning into Dilbert.

I knew I made the right decision to retire when the boss did a couple of things. One day he came in and chewed out the whole group for granting too many extensions on corrective actions. He was furious. He told us that the corporate office was watching how many extensions were granted and that our facility had one of the highest rates for extensions. The very next day he came in and chewed us out for not granting extensions. Two corrective actions had gone past due overnight and the corporate office was going to come down on him like a ton of bricks. He said it was our job to review all corrective actions and automatically grant extensions for those were due that day, hadn’t been answered.

I'm a weirdball* one: naval architect. Boats of all types, although mostly commercial workboats (tugs, fishing boats, small cruise ships).

* Professionally. Some have called me that personally, but I think the jury's still out.

My stepdaughter officially became a chemical engineer last year. Now, she's working on her masters and next year, she will start on her PhD. It will be at least another 6 years before she finally gets a job.

My previous response to this thread was electrical engineer. But now I’m proud to say that I’m a retired engineer. I felt like I was turning into Dilbert.

Congratulations!:handshake: I am a mechanical engineer about 18 months away from that milestone and some days it feels like I see pointy-haired bosses everywhere...

I'm a weirdball* one: naval architect. Boats of all types, although mostly commercial workboats (tugs, fishing boats, small cruise ships).

* Professionally. Some have called me that personally, but I think the jury's still out.

Cool! Boats are every bit as cool as rockets.

Cool! Boats are every bit as cool as rockets.

I don't know that I'd go THAT far, but thank you! :) Fun fact: Boeing located in the Seattle area because it was close to the spruce forests and there was a lot of local skill in wooden shipbuilding in the 100+ shipyards around Puget Sound. A lot of the terminology is common between the industries as well.

Operations Manager, formerly Operations Engineer, previously Operations Technician. I make sure the right people make sure the right lights blink the right way in a Datacenter.

Trained as an Automotive engineer (ie a Mechanic) and now work as a Service "engineer" for a roller door company...... Sometimes I think they just like to add "engineer" to the title to make you feel better about the job lol either that or its the just the general term for "person who actually understands how the thing works and how to fix it when it doesn't" :)

Mechanical design engineer, paper converting equipment and high speed packing lines. I took a package and retired the end of April 2015 and have been doing consulting work since November 2015. My former employer no longer values the technical expertise of its engineers and the political bs was way too much to deal with. Funny thing is that I am working for an engineer that I shared an office with who took a package right before me. Life is great!

Electrical Engineer by training, although I do mostly software these days.

Somehow I'm not surprised to find a lot of engineers in this hobby.

I forgot to mention ... My first job after graduating was at the Naval Weapons Center in China Lake California. Worked on Sidwinder, Shrike, and also blew up lots of stuff. For a model rocketry kid of the 60s, it was a dream job. :)

But living in the Mojave as a newlywed was probably not the ideal scenario for my wife! We moved on after a couple years, back to "civilization", as my wife described it.

But living in the Mojave as a newlywed was probably not the ideal scenario for my wife! We moved on after a couple years, back to "civilization", as my wife described it.

My last boss used to say a happy wife makes for a happy life.

Trained as an Automotive engineer (ie a Mechanic) and now work as a Service "engineer" for a roller door company

Seriously ? Mechanic using the title Engineer ? Blasphemy. And I thought Technician was overrated when I worked at dealerships as an "Auto Mechanic".

If thats the case, then Im a Lionel Engineer during Christmas. :wink:

Id like to know what professional Engineers think when other non-Engineers use the title. IE...Computer, Software, etc...

Back