Estes CATO [with new pic]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
A month ago I bought a used Estes Cato from billspad here on TRF. It was in good shape, but showing it's age. I took it all the way apart, got a new dowel for the piston inside. Reglued all the fins, epoxied the launch lug. I found spray paint that matched the original colors very closely, so I sanded the body tube down, and scuffed the plastic. Sprayed the whole thing. I've contacted Stickershock about having decals made. More photos to follow when I hopefully get out to launch it this weekend.

Last edited:
My decals from StickerShock23 came in today! Looks great! I wish I had taken a before rebuild and repaint. For anyone who might be interested, the spray paint colors I used are both Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer. One is Gloss Grape #249113 and the other is Gloss Real Orange #249095.

Last edited:
Babar,

What are you looking for? Just in its "exploded" form?

Bill, I cannot say how much I am pleased you sold me this kit. I'm tickled pink. I really do appreciate your willingness to part with the CATO. It brings to mind fond memories of launches past.

Babar,

What are you looking for? Just in its "exploded" form?

Yeah, like to see how different pieces fit together to allow separation.
If you fly this at a club launch, I suppose you have to let the RSO know about the nature of the flight, but might be fun to keep it a secret from the rest of the observers when they watch the launch for the surprise factor.

Course there is always that post CATO launch, "I meant to do that"............................................ "yeah, sure you did!"

Thanks!

The fins nest in a recess in the motor mount and the bottom of the body tube. The piston on the bottom of the body tube slides into the motor mount. That is what initiates separation and deployment of the nose cone and parachute.

So, I did take a "before" picture. Here it is! As you can see, it's not bad. Plenty flyable. Now I've got a few flights on it already, and it's every bit as awesome as I remember.

Don't get me wrong, it looks terribly fun! But I wonder what made ol' Vern ever think, "Hmmm, let's design a rocket that makes it look like a total failure after launch?" :wink:

It was designed by Tim Van Milligan long after Vern sold the company.

This rocket is so much fun! I'm glad I busted my old one out to fly again. Nice job on the rebuild, it looks better than new.

A month ago I bought a used Estes Cato from billspad here on TRF. It was in good shape, but showing it's age. I took it all the way apart, got a new dowel for the piston inside. Reglued all the fins, epoxied the launch lug. I found spray paint that matched the original colors very closely, so I sanded the body tube down, and scuffed the plastic. Sprayed the whole thing. I've contacted Stickershock about having decals made. More photos to follow when I hopefully get out to launch it this weekend.
Thanks for starting this thread. I had never heard of this rocket and it is hysterical!! I can imagine the faces on the flight line!:jaw:

Yeah and my jaw is dropping at the price! Aerocon is offering one (new) for $90.

Last edited:
I've owned one for a while and even I laugh like an idiot when I fly it.

[video=youtube;-z8YV1RxcIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8YV1RxcIM[/video]

I think Estes ought to make one in the PSII format.
Teather the fin sections and engine mount to a streamer.
What would be really cool, is a air start 2 stage that CATO's at seperation, an then again on drough and main.
Wish I had the brains to figure that out!

Back