MadCow Black Friday?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
This'll be my first black Friday with MadCow, are there threads from previous years I can read? Does anybody have suggestions, timing info, or general experiences they can share? Or maybe there's already a thread started That I'm missing entirely. Wouldn't be the first time
smile.png

Nate

Took me 1/2 hour to find this, but it's a pretty lengthy thread Madcow started last year. The web site offers a lot of info on when the sale starts and I can tell you this. You best be perched on your computer the minute it starts. Last year there were some kits they only had one of, and a lot they a great many. Get your list together and all your must have info, yadda yadda. Last year they started a thread on November 2, and I have not seen one for this year yet, although there may be one.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ack-Friday-Sale&highlight=Madcow+Black+Friday

Took me 1/2 hour to find this, but it's a pretty lengthy thread Madcow started last year. The web site offers a lot of info on when the sale starts and I can tell you this. You best be perched on your computer the minute it starts. Last year there were some kits they only had one of, and a lot they a great many. Get your list together and all your must have info, yadda yadda. Last year they started a thread on November 2, and I have not seen one for this year yet, although there may be one.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ack-Friday-Sale&highlight=Madcow+Black+Friday

Thank you!
I'll read through that thread when I have a chance, and do some prep work to get ready. It looks like its a pretty serious event!
We'll be in Western PA, but hopefully, hopefully we can get somewhere with excellent WiFi.

Thanks,
Nate

Last year I was right there waiting and tried to buy their 2.6 Jay Hawk for my friends Cmas present, and someone nabbed it. It was the only one they had too. So I got him a DX-3 instead. When I called him to see what he got, he told me he tried to buy the Jay Hawk and they were all gone, so he went back to bed. I didn't let on that, it's what I had tried to get him. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of folks on top of that one because it had a nice price. I wish they would at least give some kind of parts and kit count so we could know what to expect.

My loving wife snagged me a Frenzy from that sale, but I didn't participate personally. Hoping they do it again, I was impressed with the quality of the kit, and while I haven't flown it yet, it's been a joy to build. Hoping for some of the other 4" kits to be on the list this year (Seawolf, Prion, Phoenix, AGM-33 Pike)...I have a thing for split fins I guess, and these guys

My loving wife snagged me a Frenzy from that sale, but I didn't participate personally. Hoping they do it again, I was impressed with the quality of the kit, and while I haven't flown it yet, it's been a joy to build. Hoping for some of the other 4" kits to be on the list this year (Seawolf, Prion, Phoenix, AGM-33 Pike)...I have a thing for split fins I guess, and these guys

I'm also hoping for the 4" pike, and the 3" Aerobee would be nice too.

Which Frenzy did you get? I love the looks of that kit!

Nate

Hi Nate- just the base model, with the removable av bay. I glassed it for practice and intend to get my L2 with it. Here's a photo taken tonight of the finished product, interestingly enough! ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1415846792.659592.jpg

Hi Nate- just the base model, with the removable av bay. I glassed it for practice and intend to get my L2 with it. Here's a photo taken tonight of the finished product, interestingly enough! View attachment 246428

I have the original Frenzy (purchased in a Black Friday sale in 2012, interestingly enough!) and later bought the removable av-bay. The two body tubes in my kit are the same length, 31" each. Did you cut the aft tube down because the booster tube looks noticeably shorter than the payload tube?

Also curious how much weight the fiberglassing added to the overall airframe weight.

Getting ready to start working on my Frenzy...

I have the original Frenzy (purchased in a Black Friday sale in 2012, interestingly enough!) and later bought the removable av-bay. The two body tubes in my kit are the same length, 31" each. Did you cut the aft tube down because the booster tube looks noticeably shorter than the payload tube?

Also curious how much weight the fiberglassing added to the overall airframe weight.

I didn't modify the tubes at all, the only add is the removable av bay (daughter is looking at the lights). The difference must be illusion, because my tubes are equally sized as well. The final mass (including av bay, altimeter, gps in nose, parachute and batteries) is 100oz on the nose. I added a centering ring to the fin can, and a removable bulkhead in the nose for my GPS and to add nose weight if needed. The other mass increase is due to the glass, skin coat and multiple finishing coats. I used 5oz e-glass, one coat, but it was my first try, so there's a sandable epoxy layer on top of that, plus bondo spot putty, followed by three or four primer coats with additional spot putty...easily accounts for the extra pound+, but not overly so. Sims on a J380 give me 7.5:1 liftoff ratio and 2.8 cal stability (I think, don't remember off hand).

As you say, it must be an optical illusion.

Sounds like we're thinking alike in the construction of the Frenzy: Extra centering ring on the motor mount and nose cone compartment for various electronics.

100 oz is a good weight for a bird that size.

Nute, openin you post sent my anti virus into a tail spin.
Is there something you would like to change, and share with us?

???? The link in my signature is a link to our clubs homepage if that's what you mean. I'm not sure what you mean "open my post" That's the only link I have.

Edit: Lol, I missed the joke big time. Sorry about that. :)

Nate

Last edited:
???? The link in my signature is a link to our clubs homepage if that's what you mean. I'm not sure what you mean "open my post" That's the only link I have.

Nate

hmmm i think he means your trying to mess up all of our computers so you can beat everyone to the black friday sales:p:p

hmmm i think he means your trying to mess up all of our computers so you can beat everyone to the black friday sales:p:p

Oooooooooohhh. :)
Now that's not a bad idea :p Quite a good strategy really :)

Now this is quite interesting. I also bought my original Madcow Frenzy in a Black Friday sale. Mine was purchased in on Nov 25 2011. My aft tube is 31" and my upper is only 25". It has flown 10 times (so far) staring in Sept of 2012. It always draw comments and compliments from the other flyers at the launch when they hear it whistle after motor burn out. I still get giddy when I hear it too.

Here is my favorite launch photos. Oct 20 2012 on an AT I327
rocketober-9069.jpg rocketober-9070.jpg

Now this is quite interesting. I also bought my original Madcow Frenzy in a Black Friday sale. Mine was purchased in on Nov 25 2011. My aft tube is 31" and my upper is only 25". It has flown 10 times (so far) staring in Sept of 2012. It always draw comments and compliments from the other flyers at the launch when they hear it whistle after motor burn out. I still get giddy when I hear it too.

Here is my favorite launch photos. Oct 20 2012 on an AT I327
View attachment 246480 View attachment 246479

BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to fly mine- going for L2 on a Smokey Sam J280 in a few months I hope.

Wow, sorry everyone for not seeing this thread earlier - that's what I get for not checking the Forum the last couple days :)

Here is the link to the info for the sale: https://www.madcowrocketry.com/black-friday/

BTW, this year we are not doing any single qty sale items. But, there will be large qty items and low qty items, so don't wait too long if you see something - sorry can't be more specific. I can say we will have a large variety of kit sizes and types. We will also have several new kits in a different sizes. We'll be updating the info page as we get closer, so keep watch for any changes :)

Wow, sorry everyone for not seeing this thread earlier - that's what I get for not checking the Forum the last couple days :)

Here is the link to the info for the sale: https://www.madcowrocketry.com/black-friday/

BTW, this year we are not doing any single qty sale items. But, there will be large qty items and low qty items, so don't wait too long if you see something - sorry can't be more specific. I can say we will have a large variety of kit sizes and types. We will also have several new kits in a different sizes. We'll be updating the info page as we get closer, so keep watch for any changes :)

I take it, you aren't selling just 1 item at a time on "Black Friday?" Instead we have to buy in a bundle? If so, that stinks!

I take it, you aren't selling just 1 item at a time on "Black Friday?" Instead we have to buy in a bundle? If so, that stinks!

No, I guess that wasn't clear. I was trying to explain the one time we did have a single item in stock for the sale - that case was because the item did a bunch of orders right before the sale and so we only had one left in stock when the sale started. That shouldn't happen this year.

We are not doing bundles, when I said high qty and low qty, I mean we have some items with lots in stock (you can buy 1 or many, your choice) and some items will have low qty in stock (you can still buy 1 or many). The low inventory item will sell out quickly so you want to snap those up quickly.

Last edited:
I can't wait. Need to resupply the build pile for the long winter ahead.
Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to post the sale info. Really hoping to pick up a 5.5" V2.

Todd

We're all set up here in NJ, ready to rock and roll!

Nate

Madcow site just locking up on me--can't ever get a "Buy/Purchase" button to show for any product.

This must be my lucky day!
I am buying for 3 HP flyers (daughter, son and self) and Madcow still had everything we had on our list.
I even scored one of the elusive Jay Hawks that I missed from last years sale.
Thanks Madcow, we will wait patiently for the big box so we can start building these beauties.

It worked alright for me, I got the 54mm frenzy- $80!! Also picked up the 4" pike, and 3" Aerobee. Thanks madcow for a great sale!Nate

nothing too fancy, but I got the cowabunga that i've wanted for a while. Thanks madcow!

Back