starting out in micro rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdude

Reaction score
Hello all, I just ordered a bunch of micro rockets from fliskits...also found some micro Max silo starter kits online. I would like to collect all the little plastic bricks if I can find them for reasonable cost but mostly looking forward to some high quality micro builds...I am sure I will have questions along the way, I have mostly built small free flight airplane models but have a few Estes rocket builds under my belt. also looking to make a bulk micro Max motor purchase soon!

Hello all, I just ordered a bunch of micro rockets from fliskits...also found some micro Max silo starter kits online. I would like to collect all the little plastic bricks if I can find them for reasonable cost but mostly looking forward to some high quality micro builds...I am sure I will have questions along the way, I have mostly built small free flight airplane models but have a few Estes rocket builds under my belt. also looking to make a bulk micro Max motor purchase soon!

Welcome to the forum! MMX rockets are very fun. However, the silo launcher probably won't work with the fliskits due to it's igniter system (can't reach the motor if the motor is not the lowest point on the rocket). You might want to try to find one of the newer launch pads, that use conventional starters and work more like an estes launch pad.

Hi Hunterdude,
You'll find out those Silo style launchers aren't the best.
You can launch MMX rockets using an adapter that slides down your standard 1/8" rod.

MMX Standoff 002_WEB.jpg

Instructions are here:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/12/micromaxx-launch-rod-standoff-tip.html

Or the Quest launcher adapted for the MMX engines.

Most of the plastic RTF MMX models don't fly well (if at all)
The Quest No Mercy, Raw Fusion and Vector (3FNC style) fly high and stable but the streamers don't always deploy.
If you want to see the best performance with the Micro Maxx engines, build and fly the Fliskits Honest John or Crayon models.
(Those are my two favorites)

I've got some MMX carded models available:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/p/downscales-and-plans.html

I wish the MMX engines had longer delays before ejection. On a lighter model they always seem to eject on the way up.
But it seems the engines are optimized for the heavier Quest plastic RTF models.
Still, a lot of fun and very funny in the plastic saucer.

The saucer is great- very fun to fly in small areas (it goes maybe 20-25 feet up).

Welcome to the Smaller side of Model Rocketry!
Micro's are a Hoot! Let me be the first to suggest joining us over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. Once you join there is a ton of information in the files and FAQ files as well as over 150 one page plans for Scratch built Micro models.

As already mentioned the original Silo launcher and the old style igniter plugs had contact issues that can be overcome by altering the system and converting it to a 12volt external power supply system. complete instructions for these conversion are available for download over on theMicroMaxRockets yahoo group.
If you already have a controller and launcher it's easy to make a Quick and Dirty slip on micro model launcher by adding a .049" x 12" hard music wire or stainless music wire rod to the outside of a spent 18mm motor casing with a 3" standard 1/8" launch lug glued to the opposide side. This unit slips over your standard 1/8" Rod allowing our smaller models to fly from the same pad.
Most of the little plastic bricks are still avialble from Quest. they are not advertised anymore but if you call or e-mail they can sell you most of the orginal models in sets of two. You might also check Belleville Hobbies on-line they use to have the old two packs as well.

Wow, I am new to this forum and was surprised to get so many friendly helpful posts on my first thread..Thank You! I am employed in a tool and die related field so I enjoy working with very small precision parts and also tiny flying models...so it was only a matter of time that I stumbled upon micro rocketry.
I had read about the short falls of the silo launchers and plan to build a micro Max purpose launcher but wanted a silo or two for possible display stands for a favorite micro build or maybe throw a modified silo in the car to launch a low flying model to show the guys at work on lunch break.
Has anyone ordered from Model Aerospace Company recently? They had some micro maxx but I have not been able to get them on the phone? My card has not been charged so perhaps they are busy or out of town. If I do not here from them soon I will try some of the vendors suggested.
I am also interested in downsize micro builds of Estes rockets....has anyone attempted a downsize micro Estes Black Star Voyager? I really like the look of that rocket but would be a rather elaborate build I think....I will build all the Fliskits first to get comfortable and familiar with micro Max.

Also...can anyone recommend a vendor for bulk micro Max motor order discount....say 300+ motors?

Last edited:
If your talking about that many I strongly suggest talking with your favorite "LOCAL" hobby shop. The way I've done it in the past was to get a group of other micro modelers from our club to go in on a bulk order. Last time we did this (2012) we got 11 cases of the MMX-II motors.

Our source hobby shop told me anything over 4 cases we could get the best discount price and NOT have to pay Haz-Mat or any shipping charges.

Second Best route is to call Quest Aerospace directly and talk with customer service buying motors in 12/ 6pk cases (72motor/case) is the way to go. 1 to 4 cases can go on the same shipping.
hope this helps.

Back