This is funny guys ! Ladies you may want to turn away!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
I came across this the other day. I emailed it to my 85 year old grandfather. He remembered things like this back in his heyday. My grandmother actually does these things. I thought he next line was funny to. He said thats what is wrong with society today, this does not happen "usually". Before you get mad at me for posting this remember "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." You may not agree with this, but I believe some people on here do. This is our history, some may not like it but we have to acknowledge our past. In reality, most or if not all guys will like this!

View attachment 246358View attachment 246358

Yes, it be funny now, but back then it was all about the dollars and sales, even if it was false.

Ok.... we get it... you think it is funny. Did your account get hacked?

My mom was that woman. Not the model, the housewife. She took care of it all. Dad would work in the garage or the yard while mom cooked and cleaned.
It certainly worked for them.

Ok.... we get it... you think it is funny. Did your account get hacked?

Why would it get hacked? Can't you believe people wish it was still like this? This is when Men where Men!!! LOL

My mom was that woman. Not the model, the housewife. She took care of it all. Dad would work in the garage or the yard while mom cooked and cleaned.

Perfect!!

I came across this the other day. I emailed it to my 85 year old grandfather. He remembered things like this back in his heyday. My grandmother actually does these things. I thought he next line was funny to. He said thats what is wrong with society today, this does not happen "usually". Before you get mad at me for posting this remember "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." You may not agree with this, but I believe some people on here do. This is our history, some may not like it but we have to acknowledge our past. In reality, most or if not all guys will like this!

View attachment 246358View attachment 246358

I'm not getting this post. I can see the humor in the ad itself, because the idea behind it is so out of date. But I'm not getting why it would be more funny for guys than for women. I think most women would find it even more absurdly funny than men would.

I'm also not really understanding the part about the grandpa. Is that the part men would find funny and women would not? Because grandpa has outdated ideas about the place of women? I'm not sure if the idea is it's funny because it's supposed to be wrong or funny because it's supposed to be true. The idea that your grandma would worry about getting housework done because she is weak from trying to lose weight is not funny to me.

I'm also not getting the part about, "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." It seems like the point of the post is not to avoid repeating history and going back to these days --- it seems like what the post is saying is that we SHOULD go back to these times --- "In reality, most or if not all guys will like this!"

I'm not so sure about that. I don't know how many guys really want their wives at home washing windows and worrying about their weight. Now it's probably preferable to marry a woman with a solid career pulling down six figures who has an adventurous spirit and a sex-positive attitude. Hire someone to come in every week or two to do the cleaning. And spend your spare time having fun.

Mother's just need to do there jobs!!! It is sad mothers these days use electronic as baby sitters cause they don't want to mess with their own kids.

It was insulting then, just seems funny that a company and advertising agency would be that stupid back then.

Now, where is the advertising for Total that shows the flip side, Dad out mowing the lawn?

"Keep up with the yard while you keep down the weight"?

Probably never existed.

Also "back then" one member of the household could usually make a really decent living. Nowadays, it is the Wal-Mart economy, the middle class and lower class wages are a LOT lower accounting for inflation than they used to be. A lot of households need for both parents to have a job. So actually that is one part of the old days that we COULD use now, the wage earning part, not the "keep the wimmen in their place" part that some of you should be ashamed of trying to perpetuate, even as a "joke" (but clearly not all of you are joking).

- George Gassaway

I haven't seen a Total commercial lately, but Special K commercials push the same idea. The difference is that today the active woman is shown doing some leisure activity like jogging or playing tennis. I guess people are expected to hire somebody to wash their windows instead of doing it themselves.

Also "back then" one member of the household could usually make a really decent living. Nowadays, it is the Wal-Mart economy, the middle class and lower class wages are a LOT lower accounting for inflation than they used to be. A lot of households need for both parents to have a job. So actually that is one part of the old days that we COULD use now, the wage earning part, not the "keep the wimmen in their place" part that some of you should be ashamed of trying to perpetuate, even as a "joke" (but clearly not all of you are joking).

Hey fella back in the day people were less materialistic. Less Wants!! Yea, the sad thing is there is les educated people out there. All they can get is the crap pay at walmart style jobs. If people budget correctly nowadays then it can happen. The reason is these woman are shitting out babies left and right and then they dont have and sort of income to support themselve. That makes society look bad. A family of 4 with a mom and dad and two kids can live very comfortable. Dad works full time. Mom stays home and cooks all meals, not eating out! Mom does all the housework, takes care of kids. Makes sure kids are doing well in school. Limited electronics. Dont give a damn 8 year old a cell phone. You dont need to live in a 200,000 dollar hosue. Take modest vacations. I have know plenty of 4 member families that do this. Its works. The reason society says that both parents have to work is because everyone is so damn materialist. "Everyone has to have and Iphone 6+" "Everyone has to drive a BMW, Lexus, ect....." "Everyone has to go on 10,000 dollar vaction" It is completely doable.

Tell you what. I work full time and I make a decent salary with me degree. I am single. I own nice 125,000 dollar house. I make all ends meet and money is left over every pay period. Just add a wife and a few kids. Yes there are extra expenses with kids and a woman at home. But you eat out less. You do without Wifi and HBO. You have a cell phone with no internet.

It just pisses me off that people think oh to have a good life you have to have both spouses working in the household to make ends meet. It worked just fine in the 20th century. We just need more Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith and less all the other **** out there.

Hey fella back in the day people were less materialistic. Less Wants!! Yea, the sad thing is there is les educated people out there. All they can get is the crap pay at walmart style jobs. If people budget correctly nowadays then it can happen. The reason is these woman are shitting out babies left and right and then they dont have and sort of income to support themselve. That makes society look bad. A family of 4 with a mom and dad and two kids can live very comfortable. Dad works full time. Mom stays home and cooks all meals, not eating out! Mom does all the housework, takes care of kids. Makes sure kids are doing well in school. Limited electronics. Dont give a damn 8 year old a cell phone. You dont need to live in a 200,000 dollar hosue. Take modest vacations. I have know plenty of 4 member families that do this. Its works. The reason society says that both parents have to work is because everyone is so damn materialist. "Everyone has to have and Iphone 6+" "Everyone has to drive a BMW, Lexus, ect....." "Everyone has to go on 10,000 dollar vaction" It is completely doable.

Tell you what. I work full time and I make a decent salary with me degree. I am single. I own nice 125,000 dollar house. I make all ends meet and money is left over every pay period. Just add a wife and a few kids. Yes there are extra expenses with kids and a woman at home. But you eat out less. You do without Wifi and HBO. You have a cell phone with no internet.

It just pisses me off that people think oh to have a good life you have to have both spouses working in the household to make ends meet. It worked just fine in the 20th century. We just need more Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith and less all the other **** out there.

What a load of crap. I am no youngster and I remember those times well. People were every bit as materialistic, if not more so. What's more, people today are better educated and still cannot get jobs that can support a family decently. Without a family, how could you possibly know? And finally, I married a woman, not a maid. If I wanted a maid, I would hire one. A woman is not a work servant.

Each couple and individual will decide what is best for themselves and if they choose to go that route, fine. But to whine for the "good old days" is stupid. It is a just case of "the grass is greener".

What a load of crap. I am no youngster and I remember those times well. People were every bit as materialistic, if not more so. What's more, people today are better educated and still cannot get jobs that can support a family decently. Without a family, how could you possibly know? And finally, I married a woman, not a maid. If I wanted a maid, I would hire one. A woman is not a work servant.

Each couple and individual will decide what is best for themselves and if they choose to go that route, fine. But to whine for the "good old days" is stupid. It is a just case of "the grass is greener".

this is for you!!

View attachment 246552

I remember Grandma as a housewife, Grandpa a house painter, it worked for them..sorta. My mom was a single working mother of two and was proud to be able to support herself, children, buy a house and a new car when it was needed plus help her parents financially . She did it ALL! She doesn't yearn for ''The good old days'' She is in her 80's My FIL worked hard in construction, my MIL worked too. It cost's $ to raise a family. One persons idea of decent money is another's good money. Incomes(avg. TRFer?) vary widely from making ends meet to very comfortable. It's called ''Perspective'', mine is different from yours. You got your opinion, I have mine. BTW My wife would go nuts as a stay at home wife.
No Andrew I don't get your humor either. I'm 50+

hum-pic1131-happy lard.jpghum-pic1132-gay with midol.jpg

Looks pretty stupid now?

Try to imagine how tacky and immoral it would look to take some of today's advertising and show it to people 50 years ago.

Last edited:
It's a thread like this that perpetuates the stereotype that people who are into rocketry are a bunch of self centered dorks.

The title of the thread says it's funny, but it's not actually funny. And I see now that the reason the original post was not funny is that it was not actually meant to be funny. That ad is how the OP thinks, and it's no joke.

I think most men and most women probably do not want to go back to the traditional roles depicted in these ads. A lot of people might wish for the days when a single earner was always enough to pay the bills, and they could have a choice about whether to have one spouse stay home, but I doubt very many would wish for the time when roles were so strictly defined --- man works, woman stays home. It's outdated, and doesn't really allow for what individuals want in their lives.

And the economics today do not usually work out very well for single-earner households. A house for $125,000 might be ok in some parts of the country --- but not where I live. Around here, a 3 bedroom house of about 1,200 square feet in a tract-house subdivision that is 50 years old goes for over $600,000. This is a basic middle-class neighborhood, and that's what it costs. Two years ago, I was pricing out 2-bedroom condos, and all the decent ones were $350,000 and above. There were some for around $250,000 that were completely falling apart and in crappy neighborhoods. To get something for $125,000, you'd have to move to a slum and commute an hour and a half to work. And that's not meant as an insult to anyone who has managed to buy a decent home for less. Prices vary a lot across the country, and I know this area is expensive. I'm just trying to provide a little reality check on what a lot of young families are facing. It's not easy to raise a family on one income anymore. And it's not because people expect more luxuries than in the past --- it's just more expensive now.

Yes it is funny. People just dont have a sense of humor. Its like people always wish for world peace. I guess I wish it was like the mid 20th century. But a guy can hope!!! You can agree most if not all men would love it if they would the bred winner in the family and they never would have to worrying about the interior of the house because the wife takes care of it. The kids have their place. But its all high hopes that will never return again

Ditto. All a matter of perspective. If one believes that house work is demeaning, then this ad is demeaning. If one believes that housework is a good and necessary thing that needs to be done, and something for which one can be proud, then this ad is suddenly not so demeaning. And all of us want to keep our weight down, don't we?

Sadly, society is now telling us that house work is demeaning, and we are not allowed to have our own opinions.

Sadly, society is now telling us that house work is demeaning, and we are not allowed to have our own opinions.

It is not demeaning work. Society has made us beleive it is because the type of pay employeers pay there housekeepers and maids is worthless. I bet every janitor job and housekeeper who works for hotels, large business,....ect get paid minumum wage. for that reason alone people think it is demeaning work. I bet if they got paid $20-$25 per hour the viewpoint of the work would change in a hurry. Hell I hope they dont start paying those people that much then it would devalue the college education that I received!!! It would also devalue that salary that I recieve in my career. People will start seeing heck I dont have to work hard and go to college and get first class education to make $25.00 per hr. All I have to do is drop out of high school and become a hotel maid/janitor and make bank!! In life there is always the upper, middle, and lower class. Thats why its such a cut throat world out there. the democrates and liberals want you to think oh you dont have to work hard all you have to do is breathe and we'll give it to you.

Thats the free market capitalist. I love this way and it has proven to be succesful in this country. I bleed the Red, White, and Blue!! I am a God fearing red blooded American. There are personal liberties that a man has and it should not be taken away by a another person 1,000 miles away.

The idea our grandparents were taught. Grow up, work hard, pay your dues, and eventually it will pay off. This is a viewpoint that Americans have lost. Gimy gimy right now!!! It just doesnt work like that. Be comfotable in you life, live within your means. Be a respectful man. Watch your P's and Q's. Go to church every Sunday. Count your blessings. Understand where you come from. Live the American Dream!

5b7e0fdd39178dc8d4148618607fc96fb8908a1ea62c04119630f50f349c4ce1.jpg

Yes it is funny. People just dont have a sense of humor. Its like people always wish for world peace. I guess I wish it was like the mid 20th century. But a guy can hope!!! You can agree most if not all men would love it if they would the bred winner in the family and they never would have to worrying about the interior of the house because the wife takes care of it. The kids have their place. But its all high hopes that will never return again

I think the ads are funny too, but from an ironic point of view, looking back to a different time where you can't believe people used to think like that. You think it's funny for a different reason.

I do not agree "most if not all men would love it if they would the bred winner in the family and they never would have to worrying about the interior of the house because the wife takes care of it." But even if that were the case, and most men would like that, do you think most women would like it? It seems to me you are acknowledging that they would not like it. It seems like you think they should be in the home, even if that's not what they want. What I disagree with most in your posts is the idea that this is a woman's "place." I believe people should be able to choose their own roles in life. If a woman is happy being a housewife, then that is completely fine with me, and I know several women who have made that choice. That's great for them. I would never tell them that what they are doing is wrong and their "place" is in a career. It's their choice to make. By the same token, I would never tell a woman her place is in the home. If she chooses a career, then that is great too.

Every family has to make their own choices regarding how each person will contribute to the family, and every family needs to set financial priorites. If you are single now, then you should be very honest with women about what you would expect from a relationship or marriage. Let them know you would expect them to stay home and take care of the kids and the housework, while you go to work and bring home the paycheck. You should also be upfront with your idea that a family can do without "luxuries" like cell phones, cable TV, wi-fi, vacations, and restaurants in order to make it on one salary. I'm sure there are women who would be happy with that, but it probably narrows the field significantly.

EDIT: You should probably be upfront about your sense of humor too. Maybe try showing some women these ads and explain to them why they are funny.

Last edited:
Andrew,

You live in an area where:
property taxes are $1100 a year
median house or condo value in 2012: $111,308
median household income in 2012: $47,416
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Bartlesville-Oklahoma.html#ixzz3J4t4whzf

I live in an area where:
property taxes are $5000 a year (which I consider cheap by the way)
median house or condo value in 2012: $162,700 (again cheap)
median household income in 2012: $57,305
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Elgin-Illinois.html#ixzz3J4m6khz

Your cost of living is MUCH lower than most, keep that in mind.:wink:

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back