How best to remove a cracked epoxy fillet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi troops-

I've got a cracked fillet on my Intimidator 4. It's a large fat fillet; made with West 105/205. Cracked all the way along its' length - gonna have to remove it and replace it. But how to remove a big honkin' fillet like this? Grind it? Chip it away? Heat it? Inquiring minds want to know :roll:

(it's always something, right? :lol: )

Don't

Use a Dremel tool as noted (I like to use the spherical cutter) to sculpt a wider crack. You actually benefit from making it rough and kind of ugly. Then fill the gap in with a filled epoxy - I use milled glass. Shape, sand, and paint.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
I found that West with silica could be brittle and had to remove some fillets. Dremel with cutting wheel and sanding drum was the ticket after chipping out anything that would pop out easily. New Rocketpoxy fillets turned out much better.

Doug

Don't

Use a Dremal as noted (I like to use the spherical cutter) to sculpt a wider crack. You actually benefit from making it rough and kind of ugly. Then fill the gap in with a filled epoxy - I use milled glass. Shape, sand, and paint.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Old gunsmiths trick, when you widen the crack with the Dremel try and under cut the edges a bit and use a small drill bit (under 1/16 inch) to punch small holes on the interior of the cut out area, just to give the repair epoxy more "bite"

Old gunsmiths trick, when you widen the crack with the Dremel try and under cut the edges a bit and use a small drill bit (under 1/16 inch) to punch small holes on the interior of the cut out area, just to give the repair epoxy more "bite"

Yeah, that's why I use the round cutter. It naturally undercuts. Never thought of drilling holes.

Yeah. This rocket was built by me a long time ago; I hadn't yet discovered Proline and RocketPoxy. I'll use one of them for the fix here.

I have a Dremel MultiMax tool, I might give it a whirl and see how well it deals with the removal task.

https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=2094

I have almost every Dremel tool made and that is one I just cannot find a use for in rocketry. Lord knows I have tried though.

Sharp chisel & mallet/hammer. Use the chisel upside down.......bevel edge down, will grab the fillet better and won't damage fin/airframe.
Start on one end and work to the other

I can remove a fillet on large rocket in less than a minute! Both fin & airframe. It will pop off in large sections......wear eye protection as chunks fly at high rate of speed everywhere.

Last edited:
Sharp chisel & mallet/hammer. Use the chisel upside down.......bevel edge down, will grab the fillet better and won't damage fin/airframe.
Start on one end and work to the other

I can remove a fillet on large rocket in less than a minute! Both fin & airframe. It will pop off in large sections......wear eye protection as chunks fly at high rate of speed everywhere.

I'm assuming fiberglass fins and tubes, not cardboard and plywood.

Carl, for that airframe I am with CJ.

Personally, I would do different fillets in the repair. Proline or Aeropoxy laminating resin mixed with Kevlar pulp. I like to use a bunch of pulp almost to the point of it being a paste. Work it into the fillet shape and let set. Once set, cover with your favorite epoxy based filler and sand smooth.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I redid all the fillets on my PR full scale ARCAS. They were Bob Smith 30 min mixed with milled glass.
When I applied new fillets I used Pro-Set 273 fast epoxy.

JD

Back