Northwest Xtreme Rocket Show (NXRS) 2015 - this weekend!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOLF???? How can you afford TWO expensive hobbies.

I am here, sun is out, winds are non existent to very light.

First rocket just launched, a low power. That means that weekend has officially started!

OMG! What an amazing event. Thanks to everyone who helped organize.

I am sure someone will chirp in with a launch report thread, but right now, I am heading for the shower

Will be interesting to see the stats from this launch.
Looked to me like nobody was afraid of the heat...I don't think I've ever seen so many vehicles at Brothers before...the west end of the road was packed!
Wonder what the attendance number was?

We had a total of 4 flights over the weekend.
I've not had time to download the data yet and I have given up trying to take launch photos (I rely on the generosity of others for that). I hope to process the the flight data tonight.

But yea, it was a hot time in the high desert. Couldn't dream of being anywhere else this past weekend.

I have no idea about the end numbers but...
for an event that was officially 26th through 28th....
6 campers/trailers on site when I got there at 8pm on the 24th.
10 when I woke up at 9am on 25th. By early evening, there were at least 15 camp sites. We were flying low and medium power on 25th.
Morning of 26th, there were over 20 trailers/campers and a good handful of tents.

I had to leave at midday on Sunday, and there were still people flying!!

This may not have outdone last years on numbers, but there were people who unofficially extended the event by 2 days and were active in rocketry tasks.

The club pulled together again and worked as a club should.
Everything was set up early, the pad spaces were assessed for fire risk and we managed to weed whack the HPR cells, away cells, and the far away homestead cell for multiple launches. Everyone was aware of fire risk and the few times that we saw smoke or flames where they shouldn't be, people were instantly there with shovels, water and they didn't stop until they all agreed that the danger was gone.
RSO/LCO duties were well done, and different shifts transitioned perfectly. The wandering RSO's worked well.

This club / launch was excellent!

Party on .... dooodz.

I finally downloaded all my flight data from this past weekend and have started to review the data. I had a total of 4 flights. Here is a short summary with some highlights. I've given up trying to take photos and rely solely on the charity of others.

Friday I flew my Madcow Frenzy for the 12th time. This was on my first 54mm Loki motor, a J-300-LR. Aside from the pad fire, it was a pretty cool flight with easy recovery. I think I launched in the early afternoon. The Eggtimer altimeter showed the temperature on the pad as 42.50c or 108.5f.

Saturday started with Wazzu Thunder for its 3rd flight. This time on an AT K-1100-T. What a kick ass motor. Flight went to 6,200 feet and the Eggtimer shows a max G of 11.24. The temperature on the pad was 43.70c or 110.66f.

We then flew our Binder Design Sentinel for its 9th and most likely final flight. The upper body tube has some serious creases and I’m afraid we’ll end up folding it in half if we try and fly it again. This flight was on an AT K-695-R and went to 6,487ft. Funny thing is that the Eggfinder shows max G at 18.87. The temperature on the pad was 41.9c or 107.42f.

On Sunday I flew Wazzu Thunder on a K-550-W. This is a new high altitude record for me at 6,927ft. The temperature was much cooler, 35.09c or 95.162f on the pad.

I flew my Eggfinder GPS in all four flights and it worked perfectly each time. The only heartstopping part was during the K550 flight when we lost sight of the rocket and lost tracking. Thankfully tracking started again just about the time we saw it under its main chute.

I can’t wait to do it all again (but maybe with a little less heat).

Back