Northwest Xtreme Rocket Show (NXRS) 2015 - this weekend!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
Northwest Xtreme Rocket Show (NXRS) 2015 - "Go To The Xtreme!"

June 26-28, 2015
OregonRocketry
Brothers, OR
42K waiver

Be there.

Last edited:
You'll love this answer..... "It depends."

We do launch in a cleared area but if there hasn't been rain the sage brush drys out and can be easily ignited. I have a few in my box that I fly when we can but I try not to get my heart set on flying them.

Thanks, will club announce prior to launch?

I purchase motors way in advance and build motor just before launch.

i don't want waste motors or have buy motors retail if I can avoid.

Thanks, will club announce prior to launch?

I purchase motors way in advance and build motor just before launch.

i don't want waste motors or have buy motors retail if I can avoid.

They may let us know the week leading up to the launch. Just remember, they can (and should) restrict their usage at any time depending upon fire conditions. I know of one time where they changed their ruling mid-day after a fire was started by a normal launch of a sparky. The club doesn't seem to have any issue with flyers using sparkies, they are just being smart.

David and I have been exchanging emails - the website will be updated as soon as we get the sponsor/contest list finalized. Been a challenge with the departure of Robert Krausert...

I'll watch for announcements and buy more motors.

Does the club fly "L" motors from away pads?
Yes, L's can go from the regular 300' pads, however we usually ask that "hard-hitting" L's go either off the away cell (500') or off your own GSE as those motors often aren't friendly to the PVC bases of our high-power pads.

I'm gonna try! we'll see.
Still thinking of coming? Hope to see you there...

Yes, L's can go from the regular 300' pads, however we usually ask that "hard-hitting" L's go either off the away cell (500') or off your own GSE as those motors often aren't friendly to the PVC bases of our high-power pads.

Our new away cell (500') pad should be able handle them just fine.

I think I'm honestly getting a little giddy.
After I finish up WAZZU Thunder, I'm going to see if I can get a night rocket ready.

Wilson, will you be bringing your launch rail? If so, how long is the rail on it??
I got something short and fat that I want to run up it.

I am looking for the use of a tower for my 3" minimum diameter L3 cert attempt at NXRS.
I'd prefer to not spoil the performance with buttons.

I think I'm honestly getting a little giddy.
After I finish up WAZZU Thunder, I'm going to see if I can get a night rocket ready.
Awesome, working feverishly over here as well...

Wilson, will you be bringing your launch rail? If so, how long is the rail on it??
I got something short and fat that I want to run up it.
Yep, it will be available! The 1010 rail is 12'.

I am looking for the use of a tower for my 3" minimum diameter L3 cert attempt at NXRS.
Did you check with Bob Y and the DAWGpack folks? They usually bring towers...

So far it looks like I will have a nice line up of flights this time.
Unlike the last 4 years, I am going to be selective of which rockets I bring, and I am not going to load everything I can see.

Plan looks like this.

SNAFU - 4" Talon(ish)
- CTi K360 Smokey - 54mm

CoR - 3" Bluetoob (my L2 bird)
- CTi J420 Skid (if possible) - 38mm ( Edit - Maybe a J425 if sparkies not allowed)
- CTi L265 Mellow - 54mm, yes that one... Chuck you get to see this time!!

noname - 5" Jart
- AT L1000 DMS

IF I can get my 2014 NXRS 3" - 38mm finished, or the 3" Kraken - 38mm, then I have some Dark Matter loads that may need burnt, again if possible.

I may also throw some 38mm CTi loads at the 3" BlueToob and/or get a surprise sneaked in somewhere.

Overall, this is looking to be a launch that I am REALLY looking forward to. I love watching the big stuff that gets thrown around at NXRS!!
---
It may be appropriate to fix up and fly my L1 Crayon this weekend too!

Last edited:
Watching the news, unless we get some meaningful rain I won't be surprised if they ban sparky motors.

Yup.... as you know I love 'em, and have a box just for sparkies.

But... i think i will be leaving them at home this time. Sparkies is for Sheridan

--

2 weeks to go. Start those builds.

Hey Wilson, Doesn't Braib have a tower that would do for 3"?

2 weeks to go

advance forecast for that weekend looks nice

forecast.jpg

Last edited:
Watching the news, unless we get some meaningful rain I won't be surprised if they ban sparky motors.

One things for sure, bring a shovel and extra water. Long range forecast looks a little on the 'bone dry' end of things.

We ask for everyone that is capable to bring at least a 5 gallon container of water and leave it out in front of your space. Then anyone can grab water on the way past if there is a fire.

Jug, jug! Will bring one to drink, one to pour on the ground (hopefully). I got a kitchen pass as I just started a new position and don't have a bunch of folks depending on me 24x7.
Now if I can just get time this weekend to make all the altimeters cooperate.

Outlook looking good with light winds, maybe a little cloud on Saturday and Sunday. Humidity around 22%

forecast.jpg

Attachments

• forecast.jpg
    forecast.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
Less than a week...
I am planning on being there Wednesday eve, or Thursday midday. I have an appointment with some weeds. IF, and this is a BIG IF, I can get All those weeds down, it may mitigate the fire risk somewhat for smaller sparkies.

Bring lots of water and sunblock this weekend!
Will be out there Thursday afternoon - and Rob, my tower will be available.

Back