When to go up a launch rod size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I'm about to build my second scratch rocket, and I'm not sure when it's appropriate to go from a 1/8 to a 3/16 inch launch rod.

The rocket will launch with a D12 motor - actually, it's two stages, with a D12 for the booster, and an E9 for the sustainer, but since the rocket will have cleared the rod when the second stage ignites, I feel like that might not matter. I have both sizes of launch lugs, and rods. I'd stick with the smaller size, but I don't know if it's recommended. When do you know you need to go to 3/16? When do you go up to 1/4?

Janus II With Camera Payload Bay Design 03.jpg

I would have to dig up my copy of the Model Rocketry handbook for the precise answer but the general rule of thumb I use is for up to D or small E power to use a 3/16 , then any thing with composite power a 1/4, or preferably a rail. The other thing to think about is the length of the rod, a heavier rocket with an e9 will do better with a longer rod, as they get off the pad slower, and need a longer rod to safely get up to speed before the fins can stabilize the rocket. If that was my rocket I would go for a 1/4. You can not go wrong if you too big. I even built a red max with rail buttons to fly 18mm composites. I am sure probably already know, but in case you did not, you will also need standoffs for the Launch lugs to clear your nose cone.

Looks like a neat rocket, keep us posted on your progress.

The handbook says that you can use an 1/8" rod for models up to 6oz.(pad weight). however, that also is dependent on lug placement. you're going to want at least a 48" long rod and that means a min of 3/16". from what I have seen, one could probably use a 3/16" rod for models up to 12 oz. and 1/4" up to 24 oz. after that a rail would be your best bet.
Rex

I would have to dig up my copy of the Model Rocketry handbook for the precise answer but the general rule of thumb I use is for up to D or small E power to use a 3/16 , then any thing with composite power a 1/4, or preferably a rail. The other thing to think about is the length of the rod, a heavier rocket with an e9 will do better with a longer rod, as they get off the pad slower, and need a longer rod to safely get up to speed before the fins can stabilize the rocket. If that was my rocket I would go for a 1/4. You can not go wrong if you too big. I even built a red max with rail buttons to fly 18mm composites. I am sure probably already know, but in case you did not, you will also need standoffs for the Launch lugs to clear your nose cone.

Looks like a neat rocket, keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah, OpenRocket doesn't let you create standoffs from what I can tell. It would be nice, because I'm sure they affect the rocket's performance, and I'd like it if you could print a template. I'd like to trim the lugs at a 45 degree angle, and I'd like it if the standoffs could follow that line down to the body tube.

What I'll probably do is create a new rocket with a fin set which is the size of the standoffs I need, then print the template for those off.

I don't build for performance or competition, so I tend to use 1/4" lugs on everything I build that doesn't have rail guides. That way I don't have to swap out my rod for different rockets when flying on my own --- just leave the 6' long 1/4" rod in place for every rocket. Also, I can use any pad I'm assigned to at a club launch without swapping.

My simple rule of thumb:
A - C engines, 1/8" rod.
D and E engines , 3/16" rod.

Yeah, OpenRocket doesn't let you create standoffs from what I can tell. It would be nice, because I'm sure they affect the rocket's performance, and I'd like it if you could print a template. I'd like to trim the lugs at a 45 degree angle, and I'd like it if the standoffs could follow that line down to the body tube.

What I'll probably do is create a new rocket with a fin set which is the size of the standoffs I need, then print the template for those off.
In Rocksim you can create individual fins as standoffs and add tiny pods for the launch lugs. I don't know if OR allows this.

I now only use 1/4 on everything. I usually use plastistruct square tube. It has a little play in it. I think Afterburner does the same. On the heavier rockets my lugs are--long--like 3/4 the body length. I think it looks cleaner than a couple of small ones and seems to help with rod whip.Check out my album to see what I mean. If your using stand offs, 1/4 at least. Always best to keep the lugs close to the center line of the bt as you can.

My simple rule of thumb:
A - C engines, 1/8" rod.

Sounds good. That's what I suspected, but I wasn't sure.

I am also building a 3D Rocketry Nautilus II, which I thought had a 1/8" lug. Now that I look at it, it's a bit larger than my previous 1/8" lugs, but looks smaller than the 3/16" lugs I got from JonRocket.com (which look huge to me by comparison). I guess there's a little play in some of the lugs.

I don't have any rule of thumb, but I don't use a 1/8" rod any longer. If I buy a kit with a 1/8" lug, I just convert it to 3/16". I guess a 3/16" rod may look out of place on something really small, but it keeps me from having to swap out rods.

My latest scratch build I used 1/4" lugs, but I built it to fly on E and F motors exclusively. I may swap up to 1/4" lugs on my Vagabond as well, which would leave the 3/16" rod just to my A-C rockets.

My simple rule of thumb:
A - C engines, 1/8" rod.

This is pretty much the standard most use. :)

There is nothing wrong with using a bigger lug. In fact at the LPR club I go to, most folks are using the 1/8" pads, so if you have a 3/16" or 1/4", you can often skip the long line and use an open larger pad. Some folks will put both 1/8" and 3/16" lugs on their rockets for this purpose!

Jerome :)

It is really important for a two-stage rocket to stay vertical on the rod. You are using a D and an E motor so the rocket is technically a complex F rocket. You should use a 1/4" x 4' rod at a minimum for stiffness. You could even use a 10 mm or 15 mm rail for more stiffness but most clubs don't have them. A 6' long 1010 (1") rail would not be overkill either, and that's a common size.

Bob

Back