does anyone else have problems with "hotstuff" bottles?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad4hws

Reaction score
they always seize up on me and I end up throwing away most of the contents. Anyone have recommendations for replacement bottles?

Bob Smith has a newer type of bottle with a better cap that I like a lot better than the old style. An alternative is to not cut the tip of the bottle, but unscrew the whole top and use a dipper to get the glue out. Disposable plastic pipettes can be stretched to have a very small opening, and you can load the bulb with thin CA and then recap the bottle.
You can find them online pretty cheap for a bunch that will last you a while.

kj

Yes, the tips will clog after a while so I have a bunch of extra ones.
When one clogs I swap it for a clean one and then toss the clogged one into a jar of acetone to dissolve the blockage

I've found that the best way to prevent the glue from curing in the bottle is to just use it faster. You need to make more rockets! :wink:

After using I take a paper towel place it over the tip and squeeze the bottle several times held upright to clear the tip out, then wipe the outside and replace cap. Never had a tip clog up during the "life span" of the CA.

I just buy the smallest bottles, and toss them after a year. It seems to me that even if the bottle isn't crudded up by that time, the CA seems to get old and doesn't work as well as fresh CA. Time for a new bottle. Wood glue and epoxy are my friends anyways.

Thanks everyone for your input. Seems like i should stock up on some extra tips in addition to investing in disposable bulb type dispensers.

if it is just the glue hardening in the tip, a straight pin pushed through the nozzle should clear it. Definitely clearing the tip helps as rcktnut described above should significantly lessen the occurrence. Storage in a cool dry location will also make it last longer.

Sorry, it's the nature of the beast. I just end up buying multiple bottles of CA in case one just clogs up. No matter the brand, technique I use the glue will gel eventually, causing me to throw away most portion of the glue. Therefore I just buy the cheapest brand out there rather than any premium brands. Helps to buy smaller bottles, however I found larger bottles tend to last longer than the smaller ones. I've basically taken to just opening the tip until you can practically fit a pencil through it and just use it until the glue gels or becomes useless. Helps to build a cradle for it so that you do not knock it over.

Back