My Craftsman rocket launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugwubber

Reaction score
Getting back into rocketry for my kids and scouts. Have done a lot with water rockets so now I'm adding pyrotechnic rockets.

Here's my launcher under construction. I try to add a visual "dangerous" element to my launchers to get the kids attention.

tmp_7056-IMG_20141110_225219-1368243477.jpg

For a base, I'm thinking of adding a magnet so that it will attach to a steel sawhorse. But I want to add in some tilt capability so still thinking that through.

Thanks,

Bugwubber

Cool idea for a blast deflector, maybe want to take the tips down a bit though.

Somewhere I have a picture of our team rocket taking off at Balls where a saw blade was the blast protector.
This wasn't a good idea - that blade went spinning off to the side landing about 50 feet from the pad.
Granted this was an N motor....but you might want to re-think using something dangerous....
Just saying....stuff happens.....

Yes, the tips are going to be rounded off. Its an old saw blade that is already pretty dull.

I doubt you will fly anything with an F motor on this, but is the blade (deflector shield) permanently secured to the base? You are going to need a stand underneath the current base to get it off the ground. This will allow for you to add something under a leg to get the proper rod angle. I recommend this over the magnet idea but that can work if you can adjust the rod with your current design. Just my opinions

Somewhere I have a picture of our team rocket taking off at Balls where a saw blade was the blast protector.
This wasn't a good idea - that blade went spinning off to the side landing about 50 feet from the pad.
Granted this was an N motor....but you might want to re-think using something dangerous....
Just saying....stuff happens.....

Wow how was it attached? My intention is for it to LOOK dangerous, not actually be capable of cutting anyone. Or more likely- damaging wires. But at the same time, don't want to give someone an idea where they skip the filing step

Wow how was it attached? My intention is for it to LOOK dangerous, not actually be capable of cutting anyone. Or more likely- damaging wires. But at the same time, don't want to give someone an idea where they skip the filing step

You have to remember that if you have children other than your own launching and their parents are along to watch, that saw blade is going to look dangerous to them also. Wrists and hands are going to be subject to injury hooking up the igniter leads, dull or rounded off.

Hmmm, if the idea of a projectile shooting skyward with flames coming out of the end of it isn't dangerous-looking enough, I can't see where a saw blade is going to wow anyone.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I have made a couple changes so it is now impossible to come in contact with the teeth. I added a plywood backer that is slightly larger than the blade and I coated the edge in epoxy. The drill Chuck and deflector plate are epoxied together but the will be mechanically connected once I finish out the tilt mechanism. I have an extra large base that I think I will use instead of a sawhorse.

tmp_11795-20141111_140711-1368243477.jpg

Sweet!
I'm a Fan of anything made out of commonly available Items.
I did'nt want to chime in because I knew that your first Draft would elicit Criticism, and rightly so for Safety Reasons.
I was going to suggest "De-Horning" the Edges on the Blade, but enjoy sitting back and watching a Launch Pad come to life.
All the Best on the rest of the Build, looks good from here!
Make sure to share a Launch Video of it in use!
I build stuff that Folks are Skeptical of too, but I come back with Videos of it working to rub their Noses in it.:present:
Typically their Advice contributes GREATLY to the Final Product, as long as they don't mention the "S Word".

Stability.

I oooze Stability.

Last edited:
If you round off the edges so no one can cut themselves brushing up against it I see nothing wrong with the saw blade. Looks kinda cool. Heck, I used an old soup can bottom for a blast plate once for A-C motors. Twas only good for about 5 launches though when the motors started blasting holes through it haha.

If you round off the edges so no one can cut themselves brushing up against it I see nothing wrong with the saw blade. Looks kinda cool. Heck, I used an old soup can bottom for a blast plate once for A-C motors. Twas only good for about 5 launches though when the motors started blasting holes through it haha.

Yeah I tried that. Lets just say there is a reason sawblades use carbide tips. I wasn't interested in subjecting my diamond file to this little project.

Here's how it looks at the moment. I can currently tilt it in 5 and then 10 deg increments.

Everything is mechanically fastened except for the rod of course which gripped by the chuck.

Yes both the tablesaw (where the base came from) and drill were Craftsman.

tmp_31392-20141111_194005-1368243477.jpg

Here's how it looks at the moment. I can currently tilt it in 5 and then 10 deg increments.

Everything is mechanically fastened except for the rod of course which gripped by the chuck.

Yes both the tablesaw (where the base came from) and drill were Craftsman.

View attachment 246331
Wonder if you still get the lifetime warranty...

Apparently that's only for their wrenches. Needless to say my next power tools will have a different name.

Anyway, appreciate y'alls feedback. Does it appear I've addressed all the safety concerns?

My first thought in the blades was a uniform shirt. They don't come cheap. For my den, I give them instructions to wear a pack tshirt.

Kirk

So here's what I mean by "dangerous" visual. I want to add visual cues to rocket launchers that they are dangerous and should be approached with caution. This is my water rocket launcher that I added red and white striping. Having five scouts approach it at a time they all did really well. All 200 of them. In the picture below it is rotated horizontally for our Bobsled derby

tmp_2452-CAM00683-1898649060.jpg

So I'll do the same sort of scheme with this launcher but in black and yellow.

Added a little bit of paint

Just need locking pins, standoff, a handle and lights.

tmp_19703-20141112_205941224039323.jpg

These 1/8" rods sure seem flimsy. Do these really work? I'm used to 1/2" pipe so my perspective might be off.

Well thank you all for the kind and critical words. They were a great help. The rockets have arrived!

tmp_4375-20141116_0212281168975101.jpg

We build Wednesday. Hope no one wants to paint their rocket white. We've got 14" of white all over the place.

Well thank you all for the kind and critical words. They were a great help. The rockets have arrived!

View attachment 246796

We build Wednesday. Hope no one wants to paint their rocket white. We've got 14" of white all over the place.

Thats how you do it. The place I ordered from, if you spent $100 you got free shipping, needless to say I got a big box!

Well, winter weather came in and postponed our rocket launch until yesterday.

We used all three rod sizes- 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 so I am pretty happy with using the drill chuck as a rod holder. 10 rockets successfully launched and recovered using Bs and Cs on the Payloader II Rockets, a D on the Magician and for the last launch an E9 on a slightly modified Mega Mosquito.

Here's the Magician launch (my daughter's first rocket, first flight)
[YOUTUBE]9KCxXgG0HBY[/YOUTUBE]

and the Mosquito launch that someone else took (sorry they suffer from VVS)

[YOUTUBE]Z97taklFSu0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Picture of the finished launcher and control box.

8df6c2e1c9973e6299b2b7936d2d314d.jpg

Back