Hypertek M1000 CATO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
Had an Hypertek M1000 CATO Sunday in my Intimadator 5. Here is video from the onboard aft looking camera. Very little damage to the rocket mostly the aft centering ring and dinging up the Aero Pack cap. The grain shattered and blew out the back.

[video=youtube;Ad22MNZTy3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad22MNZTy3c[/video]

Wow, zero thrust--the rocket didn't move an inch. Almost looks like you lost the nozzle retention.

He lost motor retention after the reload shattered.

Thing went off with a thud that could be felt in the chest.

Feel sorry for the incident. Hope you can get the rocket fixed and flying again soon. Very impressive video indeed!

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Rocketry Forum

What was the vintage of that HTek grain? I had seen a streak of similar failures with Htek in the mid to late 2000's.

I will look at the pics. I am not sure there was a date on the grained but it was porous.

I will look at the pics. I am not sure there was a date on the grained but it was porous.

Most grains have some form of porosity - which does not affect the performance.

!! Anyone with a Nov. 2012 dated grain is advised to contact their dealer. We have just been advised by a customer that there can be a nozzle issue with those grains - which we confirmed with in-house stock. Nov. 2012 only, no other dates. And only "M" grains.

Jeroen.

Last edited:
I had an unusual failure with one of these motors as well. It was probably in about 2006 or so. At ignition, there was a slight flame out the bottom, and the rocket never left the pad. It burned for about a minute. The booster of the rocket was wasted, (burned at the bottom), the only damage to the pad was the o2 tube on the fuel stem melted about 2 or 3 inches. Upon disassembly of the motor, the fuel grain had a very odd burn pattern. The top 1/3 of the grain looked new, as if nothing had happened. The bottom 2/3 of the grain was burned evenly, but it looked like it just stopped at the top third. The fuel grain was sent to Hypertek, but no one ever did figure out what happened. I decided to swith to composite motors after that. Phil L.

Phil comeback ...there is nothing as the fresh smell of N2O in the morning and the sound of screaming monotubes in the afternoon.. *lol*...

Back