Indiana Rocketry - Ash Grove launch site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clreynolds

Reaction score
The board of Indiana Rocketry, received notice from our land owner that the Ash Grove launch site will no longer be available for rocketry activities in 2015 and beyond.

We have expressed our thanks to the land owners for allowing us to use the property. And while we are all quite disappointed to receive this news, we have been most grateful for their generosity.

I'm sure you all will have many of questions, many I will not have any answers to. But let me give some brief background and details.

The original land owner, Mrs. Lorraine Garrott passed away almost 2 years ago. She was always most concerned about our outreach to schools and education. But, she never made any promises for long term use of the property. After the estate was settled, the new owner, a relative, had agreed to allow us to continue our activities. We were assured that the ownership of the land would remain with the family, but no long term promises were made for our use. As to the reasons for this change, I can quote from the letter we received.

"As your launches and the size of rockets launched have grown over the nearly 5 years [IRI] has used the site, each launch has brought a little more disruption or impaction to the ground."

"As the new steward of this farmland on behalf of my family, it is incumbent upon me to protect it for future generations by curtailing any and all launches."

"I wish Indiana Rocketry all the best in securing a new launch site to further its goals of improving the practice of amateur rocketry in Indiana."

The board and local members are actively pursing other launch sites in the area. We will finish out the year with launches in November and December. Check the club calendar for dates. This will also have a definite impact on our regional spring launch, "Thunderstruck". We have not canceled Thunderstruck, but logistics will require a go/no-go decision by January.

Curtis Reynolds
President, Indiana Rocketry, Inc.

So sad to hear of the loss of this great site :( hopefully a new one will be found quickly so I can keep launching with my good friends!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

This was by far the ugliest secret i've ever had to hide from my friends as i have known about this for three weeks now. To be at Midwest Power and, see all of you were so excited to be there and, looking forward to Thunderstruck really hit home hard...

There isn't a club i've flown with over the last 10 years that hasn't had a few strikes against them. Some have lost their fields and, some came darn close at the events i attended. The possibility of this happening has hung over many others in the past.

Well, it happened to us...In the last few weeks we have already actively started scouting new locations and, some look VERY promising size wise.
To find a large open field is NOT as easy as it would seem when all the details have to work out though.

I am thoroughly confident that Curtis, the rest of the Board and, myself will find us a new home. One to be very proud of...We've learned alot from our past experiences and, i'm sure that we will not repeat any mistakes of the past.

With that being said i would humbly request that: "If you cannot be part of the solution, do not be part of the problem". Meaning please do not ask or post constantly: "Have you found a new field?" every week from now on...This is NOT going to turn into what happened to METRA earlier in the year...every week on the forum and, yes they did find a good replacement field!

Understand also that the farmers are hard at work right now with harvest and, with the grain prices down this year...It is NOT a good time to be knocking on their doors with happy faces and, all kinds of strange offers from strangers....

We WILL find a new home, until then i invite you to join us this weekend and, in December as we fly for the last time at "The Grove" and, enjoy our last moments there...peacefully.

One thing that rings true for me over the course of my life was a very simple set of words someone once told me-

"When a door closes, somewhere another one opens..."

I've had worse days in my life than this and, i'm still here...Thank-you Loraine for everything you allowed us to do and, everything we were able to accomplish over the years with your unselfish actions of letting us use your land.

I'll see some of you this weekend at Ash Grove....

"each launch has brought a little more disruption or impaction to the ground."

Soooooooo important to be aware of this. I have seen blatant disregard for this concern.

Last edited:
That bites the big one, :dark: (Ok now that that's out of my system) the Gross's really enjoyed flying at Ash Grove for the last 5 years. We have done half of our cert flights there & have been flying there every month thru the winters. It has been an awesome flying field and spending time with some of the best people in rocketry always makes the trip worth it. We will be there this weekend, I still have Comp 3 with a K490 up the pipe that I didn't launch at MWP, we will also plan on December's launch to give our final fair well to an awesome field.

Thank you Loraine for some great memories.

Mike, Jenny & Brandon Gross

"As your launches and the size of rockets launched have grown over the nearly 5 years [IRI] has used the site, each launch has brought a little more disruption or impaction to the ground."

"As the new steward of this farmland on behalf of my family, it is incumbent upon me to protect it for future generations by curtailing any and all launches."

It would be interesting to see what "disruption or impaction to the ground" means? I know it isn't damage to crops, so if it is holes or compressed parking areas, it seems like that could be remedied by a tractor with a backhoe and grading/discing implements to return the area to a near-undisturbed condition. Yes it would be an additional club expense, but might be worth exploring.

At least they were kind enough to let us finish out the year there.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

For the OAMC field outside of Springfield, the landowner does not want any motorized vehicles in the field as it compacts the soil and supposedly has an impact on crop yield. I am not a farmer, so I have no comment. We do follow his orders.

Well, this sucks. This is the second major Midwest field lost in the past month (Michigan Team 1 was the other). Both were lost because of new, jittery owners.

HPR with any significant altitude waiver is becoming harder and harder here east of the Mississippi. My nearest high-altitude launch is 4 hours drive one way. This alone will eventually force me from the hobby.

Anyway, I hope to make it to Ash Grove for my first and last time this weekend. Good luck with a new field, Indiana Rocketry.

It shouldn't force you from the hobby. Just explore other aspects of it. It does suck that the field is lost. I hope they find another suited to the needs/wants of its members. I was considering Thunderstruck 2015. Now in a holding pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Wow it's like a Crazy dream., want to wake up from . Well the L3 build will have to hold off for a bit now . No other field would be cost effective at it his time but it may have to work out . Also helped I am 10mins from the field . It will work out

Best wishes to the Indiana Rocketry folks as they work to secure a new site. Thanks for your great efforts at Ash Grove, and for your hospitality.

Mark

You guys will find another launch site. You can always come up to Bong. TWA and WOOSH have 9 launches a year. Dates for TWA are set for Jan. Feb. and March 2015. See you there.

sorry to hear about field, was planing to go to 2015 spring launch :(

i know how you feel, reminds me on when they closed Oswego dragway and SantaFe.

hopefully will find new field.

john

This is not good news.
IR will find a new sight and the club will continue to prosper.
See you all at the next launch.

With that being said i would humbly request that: "If you cannot be part of the solution, do not be part of the problem". Meaning please do not ask or post constantly: "Have you found a new field?" every week from now on...This is NOT going to turn into what happened to METRA earlier in the year...every week on the forum and, yes they did find a good replacement field!

I will promise not to pester or nag, but will you please keep us up to date to whatever extend is possible? I was planning the reattempt of my Level 1 and my Level 2 for Thunderstruck 6, if the lunch has to be cancelled or if the potential new fields are further away I may have to move my attempts to a monthly launch at Bong, WI which which would require modifying my plans and build schedule. As Thunderstruck and MWP are the only large launches really close to me I am hoping you are able to find a new field and that it won't be much further from Chicago than Ash Grove.

HPR with any significant altitude waiver is becoming harder and harder here east of the Mississippi. My nearest high-altitude launch is 4 hours drive one way. This alone will eventually force me from the hobby.
Anyway, I hope to make it to Ash Grove for my first and last time this weekend. Good luck with a new field, Indiana Rocketry.

Buckeye, please do not let this deter you from participating in this dynamic hobby...We will return better, bigger and, *wiser* than before. We have learned alot from this turn of events. Keep pursuing the hobby! Plus, when i started in this hobby 10 years back my main field was Walcott Iowa. It's a five hour trip one way (i drive slow) and, i will always treasure the memories that i had there long after i did all three of my Certification flights *there*...and, then it was gone.

I can only be at Ash Grove Sunday, if your there i would love to talk to you and, thank you for your support!

It shouldn't force you from the hobby. Just explore other aspects of it. It does suck that the field is lost. I hope they find another suited to the needs/wants of its members. I was considering Thunderstruck 2015. Now in a holding pattern.

That's pretty much the advice i would have used too...Don't ever stop building, learning, thinking and, flying...You can only get better with time!

It would be interesting to see what "disruption or impaction to the ground" means?

Dixie my friend, YOU would have made an excellent Lawyer in another life! We've got some lines on some really impressive "Sandboxes" too play in....

I wanted to take a minute and, pass on that the outpouring of concern and, advice from MANY excellent and, talented people has been ringing across my phone all night and, morning as i was at work. I've also spent some time calling friends and, thanking them for their support over the years and, i still have many more to tell that too.
I'm especially proud of how several Board members from other clubs have truly opened up to me with information that previously may have been *hush* *hush*. Don't worry this isn't me trying to steal anyone's thunder....just learning.
We are ALL in this together and, when one club suffers...we ALL feel the pain.
I have amassed quite a simple but, effective route to take when approaching our new destination and, along with some people i still need to contact... I feel that we are now better prepared than we were several years ago. A good friend of mine said it best: "Gus, when you start a club there's NO booklet too turn to for advice...." He's soooooo right.

Also, i would like to mention that when i said that myself and, the Board would find the solution...I was stepping over the line....*WE* as a club will prevail...Give us a little time.

I started this club with four other people...Over time, some walked away...some had more important concerns in their personal lives too address. That's just going to happen...
Along the way we picked up MANY good people with MANY excellent talents along all facets...We will utilize all of that in the next few months!

Stay tuned! ;)

I will promise not to pester or nag, but will you please keep us up to date to whatever extend is possible? I was planning the reattempt of my Level 1 and my Level 2 for Thunderstruck 6, if the lunch has to be cancelled or if the potential new fields are further away I may have to move my attempts to a monthly launch at Bong, WI which which would require modifying my plans and build schedule. As Thunderstruck and MWP are the only large launches really close to me I am hoping you are able to find a new field and that it won't be much further from Chicago than Ash Grove.

Ahhh! You snuck in on me while i was posting!;) Weather right now is better for Saturday than Sunday if you want to make an attempt this weekend but, YES we will make sure that the Webmaster is current with the launch status from now on.

Time has now become more critical for us....and, we can't afford to waste it.

It would be interesting to see what "disruption or impaction to the ground" means? I know it isn't damage to crops, so if it is holes or compressed parking areas, it seems like that could be remedied by a tractor with a backhoe and grading/discing implements to return the area to a near-undisturbed condition. Yes it would be an additional club expense, but might be worth exploring.

I wondered as well. Could the concern be due to chemicals left in the ground?

Could the concern be due to chemicals left in the ground?
Could [video=youtube_share;Ibdxwx8gCoA]https://youtu.be/Ibdxwx8gCoA[/video] be an example of disruption or impaction to the ground? Not just this particular launch, but the launcher, the people hauling this out to the field, the crowds who gather to watch.... maybe it all got too much for the landowner.

This is a youtube video for Thunderstuck 4. [video=youtube;0H9CohYMUxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9CohYMUxM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9CohYMUxM[/video].

Is there any impact on a site at events like this one?

Last edited:
One thing that rings true for me over the course of my life was a very simple set of words someone once told me-

"When a door closes, somewhere another one opens..."

I've had worse days in my life than this and, i'm still here...Thank-you Loraine for everything you allowed us to do and, everything we were able to accomplish over the years with your unselfish actions of letting us use your land.

I'll see some of you this weekend at Ash Grove....

Where some see problems, others see opportunities for improvement. A positive attitude is usually what makes all the difference.

Thanks for keeping us updated Gus!

Late to the party....

Sad to see the good times at Ash Grove coming to a close...

but truly excited to see what Indiana Rocketry has in store for the future. Enjoy the "final days" at the Grove, and look forward to an even brighter future on new stomping grounds in the future!

-Eric-

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of the Ash Grove field :( Definitely one of the best sites I've ever flown with an awesome group to run it. I am hopeful you guys will find another field which may be even better. Either way much thanks to the landowners for allowing us rocket guys to shake the ground on their property. It was fun while it lasted and I look forward to more good times at the future field.

I'm still planning on being there Sunday however weather is looking a bit iffy.

I hope everybody will do their best to try to keep everything in perspective.

This property does not belong to I.R. They were nice enough to let us use it all of these years. Mrs. Garrott has been gone for almost two years, and any beneficiary of the estate could have gone to the executor of the estate at any time and said "stop the launches now".

The owner of the property gave a reason of soil compaction for ending the launches. Let's face it folks, he doesn't have to give a reason.

We had a fantastic run there while Mrs. Garrott was around. She was awfully good to us letting us launch there in the first place! I am very happy that the club decided to give an award in her honor during Thunderstruck. I would hate to see this cancelled due to "sour grapes".

Off and on, I've been involved in organized model rocketry in central Indiana since 1974 (IMRA- Indiana Model Rocketry Association). I've seen clubs come, and go.
I've seen them on life support when they should have died if apathy years ago. But, that is not THIS club! This organization is strong. It cares about this hobby, and their place in it. Indiana Rocketry will survive this, and Thunderstruck will too.

In essence, I am very proud to be connected with this organization, and the people who fly with 'em.
I think I'll stick around, I haven't heard the Fat Lady sing, yet!

Evil Ed:dark:

Sorry to hear the bad news Indiana. A club loosing a big flying field is a danger I worry about often, as it impacts so many of us. Good luck in making the next one better.

It would be interesting to see what "disruption or impaction to the ground" means?

I can tell you, when I walked the field in Argonia last year looking for rocket parts of a MD rocket, I came across the spot where the DRAKE catoed the year before. There was about a 30-40 foot brown spot of nothing but brown dirt in a green field of 6-10" tall winter wheat. I found a few other smaller spots of dirt where I found the remnants of propellant grains. Of course I picked up anything and everything I found in the field that wasn't growing, a rock or dirt. I found two nomex blankets, a piece of plastic bag and 4 good size chunks of 54mm and larger propellant grains. One was a complete 76mm grain with about a 1/4" web of propellant on the inside.

Policing the crowd/parking area for trash is always good, but maybe a better idea would be for clubs to form a line and walk the fields for anything foreign and pick it up before it gets plowed under, or worse yet, found by the land owner. Do this a few times a year and after every big launch and it's sure to make a difference, especially when the land owner see you doing it and knows why you are doing it.

BTW, I did find the rocket I was looking for in the next field over, sticking up out of the ground. I had to come back with the flyer and a shovel to dig it out.

Back