Li-po batteries and Adept 22 Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
I have a couple of Adept 22 alts that I'm planning to use in the very near future. In particular, I have a 2.6" diameter alt-bay that would be easier to fit a 2-cell Li-po battery into than a 9-volt.

Have no experience with Li-po's. What should I be looking for, brand names, specifications, etc?

I'm ready to start populating the sled and need to think about how much room to allocate to the battery and how to mount it.

Adept says the 2 cell LiPo should work but to test it first. I have successfully tested my Adept22 in a plastic bottle made to go on an oxygen concentrator. It's easy to pull vacuum by manually sucking on the port that is made to go to the O2 hose for the patient.

There is a 2nd port on this type of bottle you could run wires through to test the charges but I was only checking altitude functionality so I plugged it with my finger.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1415620641.266167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

A fully charged 2S lipo should do the job. Adept states that the 22 needs 7V. A flat and nearly dead 2S Lipo should be about 7.4 V, fully charged, it will be about 8.4V.

Now, with that being said, I haven't actually flown an Adept22 with a Lipo. I have always used 9 volts. However, I am in the process of switching over to Lipos and I have one set up to go next weekend, I will try to let you know how that went.

As an aside, be very careful in using a radio tracker (especially the 2 watt Garmin dog trackers) with the Adept 22's. They don't tolerate Rf as well as other units and suggest ground testing with bare ematches. I'd turn everything on and let sit for 30 to 60 minutes. If no shutdowns/reset, probably ok to fly.

The observed failure mode is the unit(s) activate appropriately but reset/shutdown, leading to a ballistic outcome.

They are a great device, I have two I fly in sport models that don't use Rf trackers and have had perfect performance in over 20 flights between the two of them. Kurt

Thanks for the information on the Li-Po batteries.

No worries about trackers yet but something to keep in mind down the line.

Looking forward to hear your flight report, etoyoC.

I didn't get around to testing the Adept22 with a lipo until last weekend due to weather cancellations. It worked just fine on a 2cell 180 mAh battery. If I feel better tomorrow, I will to give it a confirmation launch at the Indiana Rocketry launch.

And another successful launch today with the Adept 22 and a Lipo.

Back