METEOR 2014 - my new hybrid build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verex

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to show you my new rocket which I'm building now.
meteor2014wizualizacja.png

The rocket calls METEOR 2014 and it is multi-motor construction:
* METEOR 2014W - solid rocket motor, H-class (240 or 290 Ns), speed Mach 0,3; apogee 400-700 meters
* METEOR 2014H - rocket with my own hybrid rocket motor, speed Mach 1,2; apogee 3,5 km
* METEOR 2014S - rocket with solid rocket motor (KNO3/sorbitol), I want to launch with over Mach 2.0, but it is my idea for spring.

Diameter: 60 mm
Length: it depends on type of motor

I want to build whole rocket from fiberglass, but I cannot buy fiberglass tubes in shop like you, guys. I have to do composite tubes on my own. At the moment from fiberglass I have a conical nosecone and tube with flight computer (Altimax G2 SD), altimeter ADREL ALT-USB and the MD80 camera inside. Other parts are made of aluminium.

Because of temporarily I have no time to working on hybrid motor, I thought that it may be cool to do smaller version of this rocket and lanuch it as soon as possible - in few days.

I've started project a rocket - METEOR 2014W:
meteor2014w.png

I want to launch it on Tuesday on PAINS&WESSEX Speedline 250 rocket motor. We don't have certified motors in Poland, so we have to buying old line throwing rockets.

Firstly, I have cut a fins from 1,5 mm fiberglass...
IMAG0346.jpg

... and some other parts:
IMAG0352.jpg

Because of I don't have a lathe yet, I have to leveled aluminium body on a milling machine:
[video=youtube;JQ09sHGRjlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ09sHGRjlE[/video]
IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

Next I made a thread for a parachute line mount.
IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

To reduce a weight of the rocket, I tried to mill aluminium coulper.
[video=youtube;8dalaEZqePc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dalaEZqePc[/video]
IMAG0390.jpg

And a result:
IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

Today I made a coulper of a cone with rocket. It is made from fiberglass (LG285 resin and HG186 hardener) and pasted inside the cone on a huge area:
IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

Oh, I forgot to write about recovery! I want to use dual deploy: drouge and main chute, but in one compartment:
IMAG0417.jpg

And the photo of av-bay:
IMAG0420.jpg

Now it looks like that:
IMAG0429.jpg

I will do everything else tommorow, and launch the rocket 11.11.2014 :)

Regards,
Damian

Last edited:
Piekny! Jaka apogeum? Powodzenia. Oh an great job making due with what you have, well done!

welcome! wonderful to see your work. it makes me grateful for the ease i have ordering items. a prior countryman of yours posted about his sugar motor powered rocket that he flew to great heights. A pleasure to read! please continue to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The first, test flight will be tommorow on old line-throwing rocket motor PAINS&WESSEX Speedline 250 and the apogee will be about 400 to 700 meters. The difference in apogees is due to two kinds of wessex motors. Some motors have 240 Ns and other have 290 Ns. They are in identical cases, so I cannot distinguish it.
On sugar motor I will fly in the spring. First I must build a sugar motor with 60mm diameter ;).

Today I will prepare this rocket to launch. I want to flyyyyyyy! :)

Subscribed. Would you tell me more about how your dual deploy from one compartment works?

One compartment dual deploy should separate drouge and main chute. When drouge is open, main chute is still in case. Next the main chute should be deployed and... and that's all. Chutes are very tightly pressed in compartment, so main chute shouldn't be deploy on apogee with drouge. Some rockets in Poland using this solution and it works.

Ok, I think my rocket is finished. But I have a problem with Altimax - they don't see igniters. In my country is 11:30 PM and I have to solve it in 12 hours (I want launch it at 12:00 tommorow) :) It may be nice challenge for me, but I'm really tired... God...

Some photos:

Drouge and main chutes:
IMAG0437.jpg

And rifling holes for motor mount
IMAG0438.jpg

And that's effect:
IMAG0442.jpg

Avbay:
IMAG0444.jpg

Altimax:
IMAG0446.jpg

And finished rocket:
IMAG0449.jpg

In the future I would paint a rocket and polished aluminium tubes.

Echhhh, I must go preparing my rocket. I hope all will be ok tommorow. I'm so nervous.

WOW! Yous sure finished it quickly and still managed to make outstanding parts and a great rocket! I wish you luck on your launch. What hybrid motor are you planning on using?

Yeah... Launch probably will be delayed for saturday. One fin had fallen off a moment ago :( Grrrr, stupid chinese epoxy clay... Hate it.

I'm actually working on my own hybrid rocket motor with N2O and parrafine wax. Hybrid motor for this rocket should have about 1000-1200 Ns. I would build even bigger hybrid motors, but I must gain experience with this kind of motors. My dream is send the rocket into space; in near future into stratosphere, so hybrid motors is the only way to do it in my country.

Making fillets:

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

I will launch this rocket tommorow, if I have time to fix Altimax.

Last edited:
Not yet. Weather is awful - cold, rainy and windy. I will wait for better weather, maybe it could be friday.

Okay, yesterday was beautiful weather, so I went outside to launch my rocket on 250 Ns Pains&Wessex solid motor.

On board was Altimax G2 SD flight computer, MD80 chinese camera, beeper, and GPS/GSM Tracker TK102. Unfortunately, GPS tracker fallen out from the nose cone during opening of the parachute.

[video=youtube;BWtOxTk0vOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtOxTk0vOw[/video]
[video=youtube;BWtOxTk0vOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtOxTk0vOw[/video]

IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1028.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

altimax.jpg

Apogee: 548 meters / 1798 ft
Max speed: 99 m/s = 360 km/h = 221.5 mph

It was nice flight. Now, I want to test this rocket with hybrid motor (~1000 Ns) and fly to 3 km with supersonic speed ;).

Regards,
Damian

Back