Interstellar - Wow.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Guys, just came back from the Imax premier here.
I was pretty much blown away.

I'm glad that all the reviews I've read and TV spots that I have seen leading up to this did not give a hint at the unexpected things that happened towards the end of this story.

And I would urge you guys that see it - not to post any spoilers here, at least not for awhile - if I had read spoilers it would have altered my experience as the story unfolded.

Yes, one of the previous posts mentioned Director M. Night Shyamalan, now I know why.

For all the talk of science fact or fiction about wormholes, black holes etc, what they look like etc, well that was just the scenic backdrop for the human interest story here.

I will say a couple of things...the approach to the wormhole was extraordinary, scenes on the planet are visually stunning, and there is a scene toward the end that slapped me in the face just like Kubrick did when Astronaut Dave Bowman landed in that room at the end of "2001".

I was thinking on the way home, this storyline is fairly complex, and I felt this movie made the movie Contact seem very simplistic (you have to pay attention, particularly to the dialogue, which wasn't easy given how booming the IMAX sound system in the theater was).
I'll definitely see it again. Begs a second look.
Three hour long movie....no problem. Story was engaging.
When I got out, - it felt like only an hour had passed.
Hows that for time dilation for ya!

Last edited:
Good. It has been an extremely long time since a decent Sci-Fi movie was produced.

I've been looking forward to this one for months. I'm going to the Sunday matinee this weekend. Almost any space driven movie catches my interest anyway. In another thread, I mentioned where the director said, they didn't use any green screens in this one. They wanted realistic props. Thanks for not spoiling it for us. I hate it when people do that. Takes the wind out of my sail.

Good. It has been an extremely long time since a decent Sci-Fi movie was produced.

Hmmm....you gave me something to think about there.

I hardly go to the movies anymore...so my cautionary note is :...I might be easy to please given how little I go to movies anymore, OR I just don't go to the movies because I AM hard to please, most of what I see in trailers doesn't impress me enough to go. - you guys of course will have make up your own minds.

As a barometer for my take on this...I went to see Gravity (all in 3D and IMAX) more than once...NOT because of the storyline or plot or acting (the plot was elementary and implausible and G. Clooney's cliched dialogue was annoying as hell to me).
I went to see Gravity more than once for the rollercoaster ride, which is what the 3D provided. I felt like I was spacewalking along with them.

This one I'll see again for the story.There's the difference, at least for me.

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to this one for months. I'm going to the Sunday matinee this weekend. Almost any space driven movie catches my interest anyway. In another thread, I mentioned where the director said, they didn't use any green screens in this one. They wanted realistic props. Thanks for not spoiling it for us. I hate it when people do that. Takes the wind out of my sail.

I think you'll like it.
Frankly, I had my doubts going in.
The trailer with the rocket taking off in the cornfield said to me : "Astronaut Farmer"

I've been disappointed by most of the Sci- Fi movies I've seen, fairly contrived, predictable etc.
I did like The Red Planet, despite Val Kilmer being well, Val Kilmer.

No green screens. Hard to believe.
I was looking at some of those landscape scenes thinking...geezz how did they compose that?

Last edited:
I didn't have plans for Sunday. I might have to go watch it now!

Special effects and thrills don't do it for me, so although Gravity was entertaining, it sucked as a movie. Complex stories, plot twists, examining things in a new/different light and strong/believable characters are what make a great movie.

MaxQ, I like your comments. I need to see Instellar. I agree that the special effects made "Gravity" and many parts of the plot were a stretch; however, the sensation of being on a spacewalk were good. I liked Astronaut Farmer, but, again, it was such a stretch that I thought of the movie as being more of a fantasy. The movie "Contact" was good, but I think that the book was much better. There is a sub-plot in Carl Sagan's book, where the heroine is searching for a pattern in the constant pi (3.14....) that validates the existence of a intelligence that created the universe, that was left out entirely in the movie.

I'm I the only one that watched the pilimenary on History Channel?
The efforts and chaneleges they fought over.
Why the Actors like doing the scenes?
I can't wait to see it, but I run trough movies and show first just lestening.
You hear what you hear, then on the 2nd time, you see what you hear.
It's a much better experience in MHO.
Live on, Listion On, Wipe your eyes, and View On.
God Bless the the people that meake it all worth while for us all!
But thats the way I roll...

MaxQ, I like your comments. I need to see Instellar. I agree that the special effects made "Gravity" and many parts of the plot were a stretch; however, the sensation of being on a spacewalk were good. I liked Astronaut Farmer, but, again, it was such a stretch that I thought of the movie as being more of a fantasy. The movie "Contact" was good, but I think that the book was much better. There is a sub-plot in Carl Sagan's book, where the heroine is searching for a pattern in the constant pi (3.14....) that validates the existence of a intelligence that created the universe, that was left out entirely in the movie.
Thanks...I'm going to read the book, given there is more to it in the book.

Sci - Fi as a whole does not interest some folks no matter how well done.
Some folks just want action and down to earth human interest.
And we've all heard many times herein how scientific inaccuracies for some of us science "fact" minded folks ruins a movie.
And as expected, I had to endure 15 minutes of trailers for stuff I just have no interest in seeing.
The newest Hobbit movie (I'm just not into what I call Dungeons & Dragons fantasy stuff) the latest shoot'em ups and so forth.
The pending Christian Bale as Moses movie looks like it has some awesome scenes, ie. parting of the seas and locust plague etc. but it may depart in Hollywood fashion from the original story like The 300 did. That one made Xerxes look like a bling covered RuPaul drag queen.
The Director of District 9 is back with an interesting looking sci-fi about AI called Chappie.

Last edited:
Special effects and thrills don't do it for me, so although Gravity was entertaining, it sucked as a movie. Complex stories, plot twists, examining things in a new/different light and strong/believable characters are what make a great movie.

Hmmm it was "entertaining", but "sucked as a movie".
What a dichotomy there.
I wasn't aware that a movie that sucked could be entertaining.

Dixontj, love to have you give us several examples of a good or great movie...just for the sake of conversation of course.

Last edited:
Hmmm it was "entertaining", but "sucked as a movie".
What a dichotomy there.
I wasn't aware that a movie that sucked could be entertaining.

Dixontj, love to have you give us several examples of a good or great movie...just for the sake of conversation of course.

A movie tells a story in an engaging and enthralling way. An Indy Car race is entertaining--Gravity was an Indy Car race.

Good Sci-Fi movies of my time:

1) Planet of the Apes
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) Star Wars
4) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5) The Matrix

That's about it.

Hey guys, it's Hollywood. They dish out what they think will sell. They don't always get the facts right, sometimes they missed the base altogether! Bottom line, you go to a movie to be entertained. It doesn't matter if it's fact or fiction. IT'S ONLY A MOVIE!

Star Wars is hardly Science Fiction. It's Swords and Sorcery with tech.

A movie tells a story in an engaging and enthralling way. An Indy Car race is entertaining--Gravity was an Indy Car race.

Good Sci-Fi movies of my time:

1) Planet of the Apes
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) Star Wars
4) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5) The Matrix

That's about it.

Thanks dixonjt, no disagreement here, I also enjoyed each one of those movies on your list.
The end of the original Planet of the Apes was a shocking moment when I first saw it way back then.

To further the conversation - I was interested in whether you were actually defining what is a good movie vs. what is good film as art.
Defining good film art is even more challenging than defining good/great movies.
I will recall for the sake of conversation that I took cinema in college, but not for long, I dropped the class after one semester when I got into an argument with the professor.
I thought "2001" was a good film as art, he did not. Dismissed it entirely.
I thought "2001" was very unique and had some breakthroughs both in visual effects and storytelling.
It is interesting to note in retrospect that "2001" got only one academy award and "Gravity" recently got seven.

For a point of reference, I won't venture to say whether or not an Indy car race (or NASCAR for that matter) is entertaining - I have to say that only because some people think there is nothing more pathetic than cars going around in a circle.
I think even James Hunt (Formula 1 champion 1976)admitted that (see the Ron Howard film "Rush" which I enjoyed thoroughly BTW).
But I digress........

As Gary said,...guys, it's only a movie.
Whatever floats your boat.

I was pleasantly entertained tonight and did feel it was worth a look, and thought I'd share my perspective for those considering seeing the movie..
Thanks guys for the comments.

Last edited:
As Gary said,...guys, it's only a movie.
Whatever floats your boat.

I was pleasantly entertained tonight and did feel it was worth a look, and thought I share my perspective for those considering seeing the movie..
Thanks guys for the comments.

Thanks. I go to the movies to be entertained also. Not so I can chew them up and spit them out. Phill A. may very well be correct about his analogy of Star Wars, but that's just how he saw it. I, on the other hand saw it as, ......A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... I don't expect anything from this Interstellar movie, except to be thinking about it for many hours after it's over. Taking something with me when I leave the theater. That hasn't happened since I saw Hannibal on the big screen. A movie that moves me. Makes you remember and think. Or pushes that, "Ewe, I can't believe they went there", button.

It's simple really. Drop all your expectations and indulge the moment. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it entertains.

I very seldom go to the movie theater because the seats don't usually agree with my back. There are occasions when I tell my back to shut the heck up and go anyway. The Lord of the Rings movies for example.

This will most assuredly be another one of those occasions. A film like this must be viewed on the big screen to get the full impact. No, I haven't seen it yet, but I can just tell.

For those complaining about "no good sci-fi movies for a long time" - I hear you. However, there are a couple of EXCELLENT ones that have come out in the last while that lots of folks miss. They are:
"PRIMER" and "MOON". Both are simply fantastic and worth checking out if you want good, intelligent sci-fi. Yes, I realize that they are six and ten years old, but that's still somewhat "recent" in my book.
Another on that is quite good (and is "just out"), but definitely not to everyone's taste, is "UNDER THE SKIN". It is very much unique, and some of you will likely hate it, but many will love it I'm sure.

s6

I got to go see it at a private screening on Tuesday, and I loved it! As I told my friend after the movie, it was like taking a bath in astrophysics and quantum physics. It really is a great movie. I'm glad to hear others sharing my opinion of this film.

For those complaining about "no good sci-fi movies for a long time" - I hear you. However, there are a couple of EXCELLENT ones that have come out in the last while that lots of folks miss. They are:
"PRIMER" and "MOON". Both are simply fantastic and worth checking out if you want good, intelligent sci-fi. Yes, I realize that they are six and ten years old, but that's still somewhat "recent" in my book.
Another on that is quite good (and is "just out"), but definitely not to everyone's taste, is "UNDER THE SKIN". It is very much unique, and some of you will likely hate it, but many will love it I'm sure.

s6

Thanks for the suggestions!

For those complaining about "no good sci-fi movies for a long time" - I hear you. However, there are a couple of EXCELLENT ones that have come out in the last.

s6

Under the Skin was on the edge of my radar simply because of Scarlett Johansson. It seemed interesting. Just never pulled the trigger. Maybe I should see if Redbox carries it. I won a free rental through the McDonalds Monopoly game. Good excuse to cash it in.

Adrian

Tom:
when you get back, tell us what you think whether it is like or dislike.

And No spoilers please!
Let's give everyone a honest shot at the plot without any giveaways.

But tell us what format you will be seeing it in.

My brother who is a big sci -fi fan but very critical of the film genre will be seeing it tomorrow at 1:00PM at the Airbus 70mm IMAX at the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly Virginia near Dulles.
I'll post his take when he gets back to me tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Just a little more grist for discussion, I'm not a Nolanite...ie. Chris Nolan fan...have not seen his other films, Inception, Memento or the Dark Knight trilogies.

But I'll share this tidbit:

When I went to the Regal IMAX Friday afternoon to see this movie, four school buses pulled up to collect the hoards of high school kids that were there to see the noon show.
The kids came out all giddy and talking about it, asking each other what they thought about the movie.

I asked the middle aged woman teacher lining the kids up for the buses - what she thought about the movie.
She said she cried four times during the 3 hour movie.
Moved to tears at a Sci-Fi movie, - that was interesting.

This movie will likely affect some people that are either parents or have elderly parents....new territory for Nolan who, according to those reviews we've seen, has a cold approach to story telling.

Many of the local dudes from CRASH are meeting up to see it tomorrow. I hope the rocket scenes are up to snuff for this tough crowd. After three hours of sci-fi we will be ready to party.

I deliberately do NOT drink soda or any other kind of liquid during a movie. Especially a 3 hour one. Hence, I don't do the popcorn and candy thing either. I hate to have to miss a single minute because I need to hit the restroom! Call me cheap, dunt matter. I eat before I go. The matinee is at 12:30 here tomorrow which is perfect timing for me. There is never a lot of people at the matinee on Sunday afternoon here in this dreadful little town, and I'm just fine with that. It is, the one of very few, little jewels this place has to offer. Been a long time since I've anticipated seeing a movie on this level. I hope it blows my skirt up.....metaphorically speaking.

I deliberately do NOT drink soda or any other kind of liquid during a movie. Especially a 3 hour one. Hence, I don't do the popcorn and candy thing either. I hate to have to miss a single minute because I need to hit the restroom! Call me cheap, dunt matter. I eat before I go. The matinee is at 12:30 here tomorrow which is perfect timing for me. There is never a lot of people at the matinee on Sunday afternoon here in this dreadful little town, and I'm just fine with that. It is, the one of very few, little jewels this place has to offer. Been a long time since I've anticipated seeing a movie on this level. I hope it blows my skirt up.....metaphorically speaking.

Ironic you should mention that Gary.
I needed to take a leak half way through the movie but there was so much going on in the dialogue at critical parts (they ladled on the scientific stuff pretty heavy) - I couldn't find a slow part to get out of my seat and leave.....didn't want to miss something.
So I stuck through it - and made a beeline to the rest room after it was over.
So did several others, glued to our seats until the end, you could say.

With a build up like this I hope you wont be dissapointed.
I got more than I expected and I'm planning on seeing it again.

Last edited:
Many of the local dudes from CRASH are meeting up to see it tomorrow. I hope the rocket scenes are up to snuff for this tough crowd. After three hours of sci-fi we will be ready to party.
In retrospect I'm not sure there are that many rocket scenes after the initial lift off per se,...there are however plenty of in-space scenes, and there is a sequence that I read was homage to a dilemma in a particular Gemini flight.

I think you'll like it. No green screens. Hard to believe.
I was looking at some of those landscape scenes thinking...geezz how did they compose that?

I'm sure I'll come out of there thinking, "How did they pull that off w/o green screens?" God as my witness, I saw him say it in a GMA interview. I still don't believe everything I hear on TV, but, that's a pretty bold statement. A lot of great movies were done without them you know. It's just become a given standard using them anymore.

Back