Interstellar - Wow.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the movie, and loved it. Been thinking about it ever since. Very thought provoking for sure. It's sort of like what the first Star Trek movies tried to do. Make you think you're going off in one direction only to take you some place completely unexpected. I mean who doesn't remember the moment they found out that VGER was really our old space probe Voyager 6.

Anyway, to each his own. I thought it was fantastic.

David

I just finished reading The Science of Interstellar...I would HIGHLY recommend you read it GG. You will find the answers you seek...(okay, except for the fight scene).
I'd be interested in seeing what it says in regard to those "WFT" moments, and also a few others (I did not quite get how being on the water planet for one hour would equal 7 years of the passage of time on Earth but being in orbit above that planet would not have any effect on the passage of time. IIRC they were not using the wormhole technology to get to near light speed to go down to that planet and get back up, and even their super-shuttle craft that needed a Saturn-V to get off the ground from Earth did not seem to possess the technology to go THAT fast on its own).

Anyway, not interested to the point of shelling out $15 plus shipping for the book, that would be more than 250% the price I paid to see the movie to begin with. :)

And I didn't mean to imply my take on a plausible explanation for everything that happened inside the wormhole was the only possible answer. Simply that to me, I was puzzled as to why/how that could happen, without accepting "magic" as the answer. Then I realized there was indeed a way for magic to be the answer, in the Arthur C. Clarke sense of sufficiently advanced technology, means by which the future human tech to control gravity thru time to be able to provide a possible answer to those issues. I might be off in whatever way the writers intended it if they indeed intended an official explanation that the movie did not cover, and if my theory is not it. But lacking their official explanation, it works for me.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT

A really good long interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson about Interstellar.

[video=youtube;l7tV7v71k-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7tV7v71k-I[/video]

More I found on the Youtubes.

I figure by now, nobody really needs spoiler alerts.

You've either seen it or ought to stop reading this thread till you see it later on Netflix, or DVD, or HBO, or USA network, or Turner Classic Movies, or...... anything else but the SyFy channel since there were no Flying Sharks in Interstellar.

Science of Interstellar, narrated by McConaughey

[video=youtube;8Z495DjbBF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z495DjbBF4[/video]

Last edited:
Excuse me if I missed it, but I am surprised no one mentioned the little link to string theory they put into the movie.

When Cooper was moving the hand of the watch and he was tugging on strings.

Oh if only one could type into google search:

interstellar dvd?

And find the answer pretty quick. :wink:

Uh, maybe around Ides time, Caesar......

- George Gassaway

Geeze I hadn't thought about Google lol you can google just about anything these days. We will probably have to wait another year or so here in Australia for the release.

Thanks,, and yes beware the Ides of March

I think I paid around $16.50 and it was not 3-D and it was "IMAX" in name on a screen that is pretty big but not as big as true IMAX. Also, it may have been digital projection instead of 70MM film projection.

I saw it last night at the Alderwood Mall IMAX.

Today I used up the rest of my Seattle City Pass. The last two Sunday's weather has been spectacular, so perfect for my tourist time while I'm here working 12, 11, 10 and 13 hour days M-F.

You can indeed hear the crowds from the football stadium all the way over at the aquarium/Pike Place Market.
So whats it cost to see an IMAX movie?

Moon was great! loved it!
Under the skin, meh.. not one of her better works.. as some had suggested, it's really a remake of 'the man who fell to earth'. Of course, you do see a lot of Scarlett..

5th element, that's my all time favorite Sci Fi flick.. (And if you liked that, look for Moebuis' "The Incal" graphic novel. much better telling of the story!!)

Back