Get Your Butt to Thunda! - Countdown Campaign has begun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopius

Reaction score
gyatt-300x287.jpg

With just over four months until the most anticipated rocketry event for 2015, the Australian Rocketry Thunda Down Under 2015 team have commenced the countdown campaign “Get Your Butt to Thunda!”.

Every couple of weeks until the event, we will ramp up the status of different elements of ARTDU2015. From equipment to rocket builds, site access and logistics, we hope to cover off any and all queries you may have.

You can view the first issue here: https://thunda.com.au/faqs/get-your-butt-to-thunda/

There is a number of Aussies (including myself) that travel to the USA regularly and we usually get flights from as little as $1200 return up to $1600 return when it is expensive.

Make sure you look around for your flights as there are definitely some places that will charge much higher rates.

Since this event has been advertised for almost three years, I know some people started saving all the way back then, so it is certainly easier for them.

This would be really great to see! Too bad it's not in the cards for me. If I ever make it to Australia, I'm going to spend a month or more. It seems like an amazing country/continent/island.

The World Record Rocket is taking shape, all 14 metres (46ft) of it. Powered by an O25000, (that's O for OMG), its going to be something you'll remember for the rest of your lives!

Checkout www.facebook.com/worldrecordrocket for the latest pictures.

JD, you don't need to state every excuse you can find not to come, if you don't want to, it's all good. We will be sure to have a cold Aussie beer for you ;-)

Get Your Butt to Thunda! Issue 2 is now out: https://thunda.com.au/faqs/get-your-butt-to-thunda/

THE THUNDA DOWN UNDER 2015 MOTOR IS CURRENTLY UNDERWAY! 10% DISCOUNT!

Between now and Friday 12 December 2014, use the coupon code THUNDA to receive 10% discount on motors for the launch. This special discount is ONLY available to motors for ARTDU2015.

At the checkout, there is a special shipping option for delivery of the motors to the launch site.

For international participants, the Australian Dollar is currently weak, which means further savings for you! As everything at Australian Rocketry is charged in AUD, paying through PayPal with your native currency should give you better prices. Couple that with some of the tax advantages and you could save up to 40% on the total cost.

I'd love to visit but, it really isn't practical.

No EX= I'm not going!

JD

Hey JD there are plenty of Ex's here mate. You can have one of mine if you like :wink:

My daughter just did a last minute flight to Las Vegas and had to have a specific flight with her friends. All up it cost $1700 Aus so less than $1500 US. If I had time to look around I could have done much better on costs.

Chris

I too live in Australia, am a regular at Balls and have flown rockets at several other events across the US. I don't remember ever having paid more than $1500 for a return ticket from Sydney or Brisbane to LA, SF or Dallas. Generally they are more like $1200 and I've had it as low as $1000.

I recommend looking at www.priceline.com as you can compare a range of carriers at the same time. From LAX to BNE I have seen return flights from $1221 for March 2015.

Not in the cards for me to go anyhow.
The price would most likely be higher, as I live on the east coast.
That would require a trip across the country just to get to LA.

Besides, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road.

JD

Well, no prob, maybe next time. Some of your fellow MDRA and Metra guys are coming though, so more beer for us :)

As we cross three months out from the event, we are excited to have one of the biggest names in rocketry confirm their attendance at Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015.

Straight from the Get Your Butt to Thunda! Issue 4:

Guess who’s coming to town?

This morning, ARTDU 2015 organisers, Blake and Nic had the pleasure of chatting with an absolute legend of of the rocketry world. A former NASA engineer and well known for his amazing literature, the team at ARTDU 2015 are very excited to announce this very special guest will be coming Down Under in March 2015.

In the rocketry scene, he is probably best known for the book ‘Rocket Boys’ and movie‘October Sky’. If you haven’t already guessed it, Homer Hickam and his lovely wife Linda are now ready to take on an adventure of a life time in Australia.
file.php

Homer is confirmed as a guest speaker at the ‘Banquet Under the Stars’, which will undoubtedly be a highlight of Thunda Down Under 2015. For those who have not yet registered for the banquet, spots are almost full, so get in before it’s too late, not to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity: https://thunda.com.au/rocketry-information/registration/

We will be working with Linda and Homer to make sure there is opportunities to grab a photo and autographed copy of one of the fantastic titles on offer. More information will be available in the coming weeks.
file.php

I saw yesterday where Mr. Hickam was going via his Facebook page.

Sounds like a great time in the works.

Greg

Back