Angry At AMRAAMs!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Just wanted to Rant for a Minute on a Topic that I'm certain a lot of you can Identify with.
I'm working on a "As close to Scale as I can get" AIM-120 AMRAAM, and there are simply too many Variants for me to get my Head around.
Some have both sets of Fins featuring Actuators, some have only the Rear Set. The Practice/Training Versions with the Blue Stripes/Bands there are great Pictures available, but those seem to have Actuators on the Front Set that are "Locked" by Angle Brackets that are Screwed into place?
I just coupled my Body Tubes tonight, and would like to move forward with Fin Mounting in the next Week or so, but I'm beating myself up over the Front Set of Fins, as I'm going to get Stickershock Vinyl for it that is in the Colors of the "Live Warhead" Configuration.
Do the Canard Fins have Actuators or not on the Real thing? My Research on the Internet turns up conflicting Information, and doing a Search here is useless too, as everything here is obviously built to fly Straight up, so it does'nt matter anyway to most Folks if they make an Actuator Detail or not. No offense, as there are many Beautiful AMRAAM Models here, but some have flat outside Edges on the Canard Fins, with Live Warhead Stripes, and Fixed/Locked Angle Brackets on the Fins like on the Inert Model.???????
I'm Lost, and it is discouraging.:cry:
Google and Yahoo Image Searches are only making it more confusing. Anybody got any Blueprints of the Real Deal they can part with???:grin:

https://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/amraam/

Last edited:
I can't speak to fact, but it's possible the canards are just there to give the missile neutral stability so it can steer more easily (if it's statically stable it will be hard to change direction).

You can always just choose a variant and make that your AMRAAM of choice. Training version would always look cool, and nobody would confuse it ;)

Actuators are the least of your worries. The AIM-120C has different rear fins from the AIM-120A and AIM-120B, for a start.

Pick one to use as your reference. If it doesn't have actuators and someone complains that the real one does, point to your photo and say "This one doesn't". Ditto if you include the actuators and someone says they shouldn't be there. :)

I got lost at what "AMRAAM" stands for.
But everyone I've seen looks very cool!
Just because I like the Military style rockets.
I hope you find what you need, and please post a pick when you are finished.
I'd love to see it. And one coming off the pad if you can.
Thanks

Actuators are the least of your worries. The AIM-120C has different rear fins from the AIM-120A and AIM-120B, for a start.

Pick one to use as your reference. If it doesn't have actuators and someone complains that the real one does, point to your photo and say "This one doesn't". Ditto if you include the actuators and someone says they shouldn't be there. :)

Yeah, there's all that too.
Likely no one will ever see it in person, just you Folks here on the Forum.
Today I took the Tube off the Holding Jig and began sanding the Glassine off, and kinda' came to the realization that I'm just gonna' "Go for it" and get it built.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090121-f-1234p-009.jpg

Here is one on display at Wright-Patterson AFB Museum, near Dayton,OH. Maybe some member that's close could take pictures and send them to you. Or you could take a 15-16 hour road trip from Vermont. LOL. Admission to the museum is free.

The display is a AIM-120A, AMRAAM (Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile),that was restored in 1993.

Mike

I got lost at what "AMRAAM" stands for.
But everyone I've seen looks very cool!
Just because I like the Military style rockets.
I hope you find what you need, and please post a pick when you are finished.
I'd love to see it. And one coming off the pad if you can.
Thanks

AMRAAM=Advanced Medium Ranged Air-to-Air Missile

Blame the F-22 for all the variants! The AIM-120C went to the clipped wings and fins so six (instead of four) could be carried in the internal weapons bays of the F-22. The AIM-120A and 120B are externally identical. The big change on the B model was an improved computer and field reporgramming capability.

K'Tesh, great pictures.

In looking at them it appears they are of the one at Wright-Patterson AFB. The display stand and front landing gear of the fighter in the back round appear to be the same.

Mike

I got the Tube for it Glassed today. :)
I'll let it cure til' tomorrow. I hate this Part!!!:cry:

First Full Length Tube Glassing 001.jpg

Tykon10AftSection 008.jpg

Thanks again John Coker for your Video. I was Skeptical at first when I watched it that the Coupler would fit easily inside the Body Tube, but just like on your Video, they don't call it Teflon for no Reason. Works awesome, and gave me a Surface to use to tighten the Cloth.

I LOVE FiberGlass!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys... that AIM-120 flickr set is my work.

Thanks for digging it up!

I got the Tube for it Glassed today. :)
I'll let it cure til' tomorrow. I hate this Part!!!:cry:

View attachment 245812

View attachment 245813

Thanks again John Coker for your Video. I was Skeptical at first when I watched it that the Coupler would fit easily inside the Body Tube, but just like on your Video, they don't call it Teflon for no Reason. Works awesome, and gave me a Surface to use to tighten the Cloth.

I LOVE FiberGlass!!!

[video=youtube;_gTxwEVK6IY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gTxwEVK6IY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm not so "Angry" anymore!
After Glassing and BEFORE Sanding/Paint and Conduit/Actuator Details:

AwesomeAIM-120 Weight 002.jpg

I left the Top Hook off the Motor Clip in this one too so that she can Ride on the Long Motors too and come down via Streamer when applicable to Field Conditions.:)

Hey guys... that AIM-120 flickr set is my work.

Thanks for digging it up!

Thanks for being a Fan of Missiles enough to take Pics' and share them.:)

Hi Subadai,

Like TR said... Thanks for taking the pics, and uploading them to Flickr where we could find them.

Hopefully, now that you've found us, we'll be seeing you building a rocket or two (or in my case two hundred).

All The Best!
Jim

Hi Subadai,

Like TR said... Thanks for taking the pics, and uploading them to Flickr where we could find them.

Hopefully, now that you've found us, we'll be seeing you building a rocket or two (or in my case two hundred).

All The Best!
Jim

NP Guys... Thanks for the welcome. I've got ALOT of photos from the NMUSAF here in Dayton. Its one of the places that I use to hone my craft and test new equipment. If any of you ever need to see something that is on display there just let me know and I can probably find it. If I don't have it I can get it w/ in a day or two if needed. I'm always looking for reasons to shoot!

NP Guys... Thanks for the welcome. I've got ALOT of photos from the NMUSAF here in Dayton. Its one of the places that I use to hone my craft and test new equipment. If any of you ever need to see something that is on display there just let me know and I can probably find it. If I don't have it I can get it w/ in a day or two if needed. I'm always looking for reasons to shoot!

If you're interested, I've got over 1,100 photos from the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville Oregon.

Back