My first cluster launch - Quest Magnum Sport Loader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
Launched this on October 30, same day as my first scratch build - lotta firsts for me on this day!

I loved the flame this put out, and I'm looking forward to building clusters with more motors. It's a beautiful rocket!

[video=youtube_share;cQ3ty6JzZHY]https://youtu.be/cQ3ty6JzZHY[/video]

Outstanding Video:
Just remember flying raw Eggs one must be Eggstreamly careful or the Yoke's on you LOL!

Some advise on Clustering from one who would rather fly Clustered BP motors then fly any APCP motor.
Igniting two motors is almost as reliable as igniting one provided you've tested each igniter before and after they are installed in the motors.
That said: The more motors & igniters in the cluster the more involved and more important it is to build or buy a "RELAY ignition system" moving your power supply from the Controller to as close under the Launcher side of the Launch Circuit as possible. This will dramatically reduces the time it take for the power supply current to heat the igniters to ignition temp.
It is also absolutely critical to TEST, TEST, TEST each and every igniter to be used in the clusters. Before installation, After installation and a last test with the model on the pad before arming that system.

If you are really intending on flying Model rockets with 3 to 12 BP motors I strongly suggest a visit to www.narhams.org in the library section download Tech-Tip 006 Clustering BP motors. It is loaded with the how's and why's of model rocket cluster ignition techniques and several helpful plans for igniter testing, Relay launcher wiring and other important to successful cluster flying items.

Congrats again on your first 2-motor clustered Egg loft. Are you or have you looked into finding and joining a NAR model rocket club (Section) in your area. If not it's really a lot more fun flying with a group then alone.

Last edited:
Nice cluster - they can get really addictive. I rarely go to a launch without at least one cluster.

Outstanding Video:
Just remember flying raw Eggs one must be Eggstreamly careful or the Yoke's on you LOL!

Some advise on Clustering from one who would rather fly Clustered BP motors then fly any APCP motor.
Igniting two motors is almost as reliable as igniting one provided you've tested each igniter before and after they are installed in the motors.
That said: The more motors & igniters in the cluster the more involved and more important it is to build or buy a "RELAY ignition system" moving your power supply from the Controller to as close under the Launcher side of the Launch Circuit as possible. This will dramatically reduces the time it take for the power supply current to heat the igniters to ignition temp.
It is also absolutely critical to TEST, TEST, TEST each and every igniter to be used in the clusters. Before installation, After installation and a last test with the model on the pad before arming that system.

If you are really intending on flying Model rockets with 3 to 12 BP motors I strongly suggest a visit to www.narhams.org in the library section download Tech-Tip 006 Clustering BP motors. It is loaded with the how's and why's of model rocket cluster ignition techniques and several helpful plans for igniter testing, Relay launcher wiring and other important to successful cluster flying items.

Congrats again on your first 2-motor clustered Egg loft. Are you or have you looked into finding and joining a NAR model rocket club (Section) in your area. If not it's really a lot more fun flying with a group then alone.

I keep hearing about this relay setup stuff, but I'm not sure what it is. The Handbook of Model Rocketry makes reference to it, but doesn't expand on it. What exactly is it, how does it work, and where can you buy one or how do you build one? I'm curious and would like to know more.

Also, how do you test the igniters without actually igniting them?

I'm not in NAR yet, but I intend to join. I think there are some clubs in my state, but none too close to me. I've thought of joining Indiana Rocketry in Lafayette, and I think there's also a group in Indy I might look into. Someone suggested to me that I start a club, but I need more experience, need to hang out with a club a few times to see how it works, feel I should join NAR first, and need to find at least one other person interested in doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks! I was so looking forward to trying a cluster - the egg was just the icing on the cake.

[Edit] And thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Daniel,

If I remember correctly, you built your launch controller in accordance with the design by G. Harry Stine in The Handbook of Model Rocketry. This controller can be used to test any igniter (starter) for continuity. If the light comes on you have continuity, if not, something is amiss. Just don't push the launch button till you're ready to launch. (Handbook, Sixth Edition, refer Chapter 6, Ignition and Ignition Systems)

Also see chapter 14, Building and Flying Large Models. There is (or was?) an electrical diagram for a relay system and a bunch of good info on clusters. They don't call it "The Handbook" for nothing! :wink:

BTW, very nice work on your launch controller.

Last edited:
Daniel,

If I remember correctly, you built your launch controller in accordance with the design by G. Harry Stine in The Handbook of Model Rocketry. This controller can be used to test any igniter (starter) for continuity. If the light comes on you have continuity, if not, something is amiss. Just don't push the launch button till you're ready to launch. (Handbook, Sixth Edition, refer Chapter 6, Ignition and Ignition Systems)

Also see chapter 14, Building and Flying Large Models. There is (or was?) an electrical diagram for a relay system and a bunch of good info on clusters. They don't call it "The Handbook" for nothing! :wink:

BTW, very nice work on your launch controller.

I'll have to re-read that section.

The launch controller I built was actually from the new book Make: Rockets: Down-to-Earth Rocket Science by Mike Westerfield. It's pretty sweet, and works really well - uses both internal and external power sources (12 volt, connected with a cigarette lighter-style power jack). I tested the system on some spare igniters, and they ignited fast! That's what I used for this launch. It's got an LED continuity light, a high-ohm resister to protect the LED (and even make it safe enough for Quest igniters - if those ever come on the market again), uses a mono phono jack for a safety key (I keep it on a lanyard around my neck), and is strong enough for clusters and First Fire Jr.s and Copperheads (I've only tried that once, and didn't have the igniter far enough into the motor. The igniter went off beautifully... The rocket stayed on the pad...).

I'll double check the handbook. I'm curious about it. I think this controller will work fine for what I'm doing for the moment, but I'm sure I'll want to step it up before long.

...I'm not in NAR yet, but I intend to join. I think there are some clubs in my state, but none too close to me. I've thought of joining Indiana Rocketry in Lafayette, and I think there's also a group in Indy I might look into. Someone suggested to me that I start a club, but I need more experience, need to hang out with a club a few times to see how it works, feel I should join NAR first, and need to find at least one other person interested in doing this on a regular basis....
Whereabouts in Indiana are you? (I lived in Kokomo years ago) Indiana Rocketry has fall/winter/spring HPR launches in Ash Grove, which would be worth a visit to see some HPR in action. Next spring, they'll host "ThunderStruck 6". I'll second getting involved with a club, it really enhances the hobby, you'll see more launches, and meet other folks with the same obsession.

Oh, BTW, nice blog!

Could we get some photos of your controller?

See the link to Daniel's blog at the bottom of post number 12 and click on it. He has a number of good pics of his launch controller there as well as other neat stuff. :D

Could we get some photos of your controller?

Yes - let me snap a few. I have one picture of the controller box itself, but I haven't taken any of the wires leading to the rocket, or the external battery connector.

Tmacklin is right, though - there's at least one picture of it on my blog.

See the link to Daniel's blog at the bottom of post number 12 and click on it. He has a number of good pics of his launch controller there as well as other neat stuff. :D

Thanks, Ted! I'm about to take some pictures of my upcoming projects. A couple I'm nervous about...

Whereabouts in Indiana are you? (I lived in Kokomo years ago) Indiana Rocketry has fall/winter/spring HPR launches in Ash Grove, which would be worth a visit to see some HPR in action. Next spring, they'll host "ThunderStruck 6". I'll second getting involved with a club, it really enhances the hobby, you'll see more launches, and meet other folks with the same obsession.

Oh, BTW, nice blog!

Thank you!

I'm in Bloomington. I've thought of going over to check out some of Indiana Rocketry's launches - a couple hours away, but I think it will be good to hang out with a club and check out what they've got going on. And I do want to work my way toward HPR eventually.

For now, I have some projects in mind that I think will increase my knowledge and experience. I have a couple of designs I'm working on, plus some bigger kits (I'm really excited about the Quest Quad Runner 4-motor cluster rocket currently sitting in its box in my office; and the 3-D Rocketry Nautilus II, also there). And I have committed to designing and building rockets for some people as a thank-you for helping me with a fundraiser last weekend. So, I think that will all be good learning experience, and good blog fodder.

I keep hearing about this relay setup stuff, but I'm not sure what it is. The Handbook of Model Rocketry makes reference to it, but doesn't expand on it. What exactly is it, how does it work, and where can you buy one or how do you build one? I'm curious and would like to know more.

Also, how do you test the igniters without actually igniting them?

I'm not in NAR yet, but I intend to join. I think there are some clubs in my state, but none too close to me. I've thought of joining Indiana Rocketry in Lafayette, and I think there's also a group in Indy I might look into. Someone suggested to me that I start a club, but I need more experience, need to hang out with a club a few times to see how it works, feel I should join NAR first, and need to find at least one other person interested in doing this on a regular basis.

Thanks! I was so looking forward to trying a cluster - the egg was just the icing on the cake.

[Edit] And thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Hopefully the link will answer many of the questions you ask.
Relay ignition systems move the battery (power supply) from the controller side of the circuity 15 to 50 feet away to under the Pad, increase the size of the connecting wires between Battery and Relay, the limit the length of wire to each igniter making the distance and more importantly the current carring capacity to each igniter as large as possible. Simply put we want to vaporize all the igniters in the cluster as instantaniously as possible. We're talking about 100ths or 1000ths of a second difference but these Slight delay can and do cause some motors in the cluster NOT to ignite. With a relay system the "controller" Launch button is actually connected to the 12v electromagnetic coil the closes the contacts of the relay. Lots more info in TECH-TIP -006 Clustering BP Motors. I wrote this tip some time ago but it's been updated a couple time to keep the info as useful as possible. It covers in depth igniter preperation and testing(including making your own igniters).
Your controller continuity test is NOT sufficent for cluster use. YOU MUST TEST each and every igniter in the cluster individually before inserting in the motor, After they are installed in the motors and AGAIN one last time as the microclips are being attached AT THE PAD before flight. This procedure is Critical with 3 or more motor clusters.

The Tech-tip also covers the added length of clip wires need to allow and account for the models "first motion" giving slower to ignite motors a chance to get going before the clip and igniter are ripped from the nozzle as the model raises.

You will learn that a "Clip Whip" is not the ansewer to anything with regard to reliable cluster ignition. Please remember this if nothing else from this post: "A clip whip, no matter how well made is ONLY an EXTENSION of the current carring system it is attached to".

Further in the Tech-tip there are at least two different schematics for building a heavy duty 12V 40amp pre contact DPDT relay system and a smaller 10amp DPDT "Range-Box Relay" unit I invented almost 30 years ago. I use both on a regular basic to this day. Note that I always used Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) relays breaking both Positive and Negative power terminals (It's a safety feature).

In the tip and attached is the schmetic for a simple AA or AAA 1.5volt igniter tester that i've been using on all igniters (Q2g2's included) for many years. I'll attached a couple pics of these units below.

Cluster ignition is as much an ART as Science. There are many more things going on within the circuit, wires, igniter and motors then meet the eye.
As I mentioned earlier I'd much rather cluster a bunch of BP Motors then fly a single APCP motor anytime. I've been flying 2 to 12 motor BP Clusters since the very early 70's and in all that time, logging over 2000 seperate clustered flights I've still only had 13 unlit motors in all those clusters. One was an intentional test to see what would happen if one of the outboard C6-0 motors in my Estes SR-71 3 motor cluster conversion did not ignite so no igniter was installed, but the flight is still logged as a cluster flight, 11 of these unlit motors occured before I switched over to using a Relay ignition system in 1974. So you can see since converting to Relay ignition for my clustered flights (over 1800+) I've only logged one unlit motor. It's pretty hard to deny that kind of reliability flying all class motors from 1/8A MMX to BP E & F's.

I'll also post below the 2 to 7 motor wiring scheme i've been using all these years and a couple pics of my relay systems. Trust me when I tell you They WORK.
I Love clustering almost as much as I Love Micro Maxx models.
Hope you find this material and information helpful in your modeling journey.
Don't hesitate to ask any question you need when it comes to Clustering. I'm more they happy to help in any way I can.

1.5v-d2_Pocket Continuity Tester 3pic_01-83.jpg

1.5v-e1_2 igniter continuity Testers AA & AAA_11-16-09.JPG

Range Box Relay-e_3pic system view_09-16-05.jpg

View attachment RangeBox Relay-a2c_Rev Drawing & Wiring_01-31-96 Rev.06-23-10.pdf

View attachment Cluster Wiring Diagrams-2c_Dwg(Revised)_09-17-12.pdf

149lp14d-sm_Ultra OT cluster Liftoff_04-21-07.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully the link will answer many of the questions you ask.
Relay ignition systems move the battery (power supply) from the controller side of the circuity 15 to 50 feet away to under the Pad, increase the size of the connecting wires between Battery and Relay, the limit the length of wire to each igniter making the distance and more importantly the current carring capacity to each igniter as large as possible. Simply put we want to vaporize all the igniters in the cluster as instantaniously as possible. We're talking about 100ths or 1000ths of a second difference but these Slight delay can and do cause some motors in the cluster NOT to ignite. With a relay system the "controller" Launch button is actually connected to the 12v electromagnetic coil the closes the contacts of the relay. Lots more info in TECH-TIP -006 Clustering BP Motors. I wrote this tip some time ago but it's been updated a couple time to keep the info as useful as possible. It covers in depth igniter preperation and testing(including making your own igniters).
Your controller continuity test is NOT sufficent for cluster use. YOU MUST TEST each and every igniter in the cluster individually before inserting in the motor, After they are installed in the motors and AGAIN one last time as the microclips are being attached AT THE PAD before flight. This procedure is Critical with 3 or more motor clusters.

The Tech-tip also covers the added length of clip wires need to allow and account for the models "first motion" giving slower to ignite motors a chance to get going before the clip and igniter are ripped from the nozzle as the model raises.

You will learn that a "Clip Whip" is not the ansewer to anything with regard to reliable cluster ignition. Please remember this if nothing else from this post: "A clip whip, no matter how well made is ONLY an EXTENSION of the current carring system it is attached to".

Further in the Tech-tip there are at least two different schematics for building a heavy duty 12V 40amp pre contact DPDT relay system and a smaller 10amp DPDT "Range-Box Relay" unit I invented almost 30 years ago. I use both on a regular basic to this day. Note that I always used Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) relays breaking both Positive and Negative power terminals (It's a safety feature).

In the tip and attached is the schmetic for a simple AA or AAA 1.5volt igniter tester that i've been using on all igniters (Q2g2's included) for many years. I'll attached a couple pics of these units below.

Cluster ignition is as much an ART as Science. There are many more things going on within the circuit, wires, igniter and motors then meet the eye.
As I mentioned earlier I'd much rather cluster a bunch of BP Motors then fly a single APCP motor anytime. I've been flying 2 to 12 motor BP Clusters since the very early 70's and in all that time, logging over 2000 seperate clustered flights I've still only had 13 unlit motors in all those clusters. One was an intentional test to see what would happen if one of the outboard C6-0 motors in my Estes SR-71 3 motor cluster conversion did not ignite so no igniter was installed, but the flight is still logged as a cluster flight, 11 of these unlit motors occured before I switched over to using a Relay ignition system in 1974. So you can see since converting to Relay ignition for my clustered flights (over 1800+) I've only logged one unlit motor. It's pretty hard to deny that kind of reliability flying all class motors from 1/8A MMX to BP E & F's.

I'll also post below the 2 to 7 motor wiring scheme i've been using all these years and a couple pics of my relay systems. Trust me when I tell you They WORK.
I Love clustering almost as much as I Love Micro Maxx models.
Hope you find this material and information helpful in your modeling journey.
Don't hesitate to ask any question you need when it comes to Clustering. I'm more they happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks! I'm going to load those PDFs onto my Kindle to look at during my lunch break tomorrow.

Sorry, guys. I had a busy few days, and today, my day off, I barely got any rocket stuff done.

Nonetheless, here are pictures of my launch controller setup, as requested. I got the plans from this from the new book Make: Rockets: Down-to-Earth Rocket Science by Mike Westerfield. It's got a few minor drawbacks, but it's good, and made me feel like I could make my own stuff instead of just buying kits and such.

The arming key is a mono phono jack, and the external battery is a 12V motorcycle battery or some such thing. The wires leading to the pad are detachable, and hook up to the controller box by means of a pair of banana jacks - I really like that feature. And the external battery uses a cigarette lighter-style hookup to attach to the controller itself.

IMG_2101.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2109.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2105.jpgIMG_2104.jpgIMG_2102.jpgIMG_2114.jpg

Last edited:
Back