Eggtimer Rocketry Products Assembly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will now only be assembling Kits from eggtimer rocketry or Electronics that I have assembled myself already. I recently took a rather large hit after messing up someones custom order. If you have something simple then message me; If you have any questions about things I can do feel free to PM me. Sorry to have to do this but being 16 without a steady income I can't afford any losses.
-Connor

Just do kits you know you are comfortable with Connor. Don't go outside your box unless you've already built a project first for your own pleasure. I would ordinarily think a person would be concerned if you were learning on their device and if they implored you to do a project for them, you have a right to decline. If they insist, they should be taking the risk of a non-functioning device not you. But again, just say no.

The TRS is pretty straight forward as far as SMT stuff goes but some projects can be very difficult. The really small stuff is done with CNC parts placement with solder paste and ovens. Kurt

A bump for Connor (and the Eggfinder) I flew one of the Eggfinder units he assembled on Saturday, and it performed perfectly. A quick trip to 3200 ft, and never lost contact until it hit the ground. Picked it back up while walking to it, but wouldn't have needed to because the last position before it lost contact on landing was off by 6 ft.

A bump for Connor (and the Eggfinder) I flew one of the Eggfinder units he assembled on Saturday, and it performed perfectly. A quick trip to 3200 ft, and never lost contact until it hit the ground. Picked it back up while walking to it, but wouldn't have needed to because the last position before it lost contact on landing was off by 6 ft.

That's the beauty of GPS tracking. System can pay for itself one time if you have no idea where a flight ended up except by the received packet location. Kurt

Question:
Can the same LCD receiver work for both the finder and the TRS?

JD

Yes. To clarify, the EF LCD unit needs to be flashed to the 1.9d firmware for TRS support. To use it with the Egg Finder GPS tracking transmitter, the "id" must be set to 0 on the EggFinder LCD receiver plus the transmitters frequency. Done very easily by holding the holding the momentary button down to get the LCD unit into setup. The possibilities are "0 to 7". When re-programming the receiver, make sure the transmitter is not turned on during the process.

The TRS tracker/deployment device can be set to a "unique code" by chosing between 0 to 7 and programming in the frequency via the USB cable serial connection.
The EF LCD receiver must be set to match these settings on the TRS to be paired and flown.

The only thing to remember is the EF LCD needs to be set to the "0" id plus the EggFinder tracker's transmission frequency. The pitfall is if the flier flies an EggTimer TRS with an id say of 5 and frequency of 915Mhz, recovers, setups another rocket with an EggFinder onboard that's on 915Mhz and forgets to change the id on the EggFinder LCD back to 0. Will just sit there and not decode packets.

If one is going to fly multiple TRS units in different rockets, put a sticker with the particulars on a bulkhead. Labelling prevents from repeating stupid stuff that I have done in the past. Kurt

I just changed the ID code on the TRS so that people who fly "stock" won't be interfering with it .
Some of the documentation needs to be better clarified.
The download / program pin out is different in 2 times it's mentioned.

My first post was to see if I could later add the finder as I have the TRS package now with the latest firmware on the LCD.
My next question / issue is: can you put the TRS in GPS only mode?
I'd like to fly it GPS only as a finder without needing the deployment side.

2014-12-29 20.52.17.jpg

2014-12-29 20.54.45.jpg

JD

JD,
If you disable both the main and the drogue, the TRS won't complaint when you go through the preflight steps with no continuity on those channels. You still need to go through the display/save/fly steps.

Is that what you have in mind?

JD,
If you disable both the main and the drogue, the TRS won't complaint when you go through the preflight steps with no continuity on those channels. You still need to go through the display/save/fly steps.

Yeah Charles, I think that's what JD will have to do to fly it simply as a tracker. kURT

When you disable both channels it should just stream the coordinates......

JD

JD,

It does, if you skip the pairing step. Leave the LCD receiver off until you hear the slow beeping on the TRS (that tells you that it's looking for a cable connection), and it won't halt if there's no continuity on the channels because they have been turned off.

It does, if you skip the pairing step. Leave the LCD receiver off until you hear the slow beeping on the TRS (that tells you that it's looking for a cable connection), and it won't halt if there's no continuity on the channels because they have been turned off.

Hmmmmmm, I would suspect if the TRS with both the Apogee/Main turned off would be just as happy streaming the position and the baro altitude if the device was paired to the LCD unit at the beginning of the rsync cycle? That of course would be the case if the device had a static port for an accurate reading.
Locked up in a nosecone might not be best if desiring accurate streamed baro altitude.

If one just let it go all the way through the LCD pairing and USB cable pairing to the end of the time-out, it would just stream the lat/long and GPS altitude?
So, that would be the time to turn on the LCD unit at the end so the TRS would be simply considered a GPS tracker? Kinda weird as I'd just as soon get a plain EF due to the smaller footprint. Nonetheless, if there's ample room available to carry the TRS as a plain tracker, why not?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another successful scenario:

1. Running a TRS as tracker and standard 2 channel deployment device.

2. Using two receiving devices: a USB wired (or B/T) "Headless" EggFinder receiver to a laptop and an LCD paired to an Android device

Quite simple except the TRS has to be set to id "0" and the USB wired headless receiver has to be the frequency the TRS is on. (or paired separately)

Simply pair the LCD to the TRS (Rf) as usual and of course pair the LCD via the USB to the Android device.

The headless receiver can be plugged into a laptop and can of course receive the coordinates just fine and dandy.
It of course could connect to the laptop via B/T if the hardware is in place in the "headless" receiver.

"Headless" = Simply means an Eggfinder receiver without an LCD display. Could be via USB or B/T depending on how the builder constructed it.

The LCD will monitor position with the baro altitude and the laptop will be in a mode to monitor lat/long and GPS altitude.

What good is this? Can have a record of the flight to the tracking program on the laptop and have a portable solution to go after the rocket for recovery. Kurt

It did initially when we first booted it up but, wasn't sure.
I had to boot it up in my car in order to get lock with the sat.
All is good!

Thanks!

JD

As this business has far exceeded my expectations of just a couple assembly every so often to a couple assembly's per week I though it was time to modernize a bit :) Thats right I now have a website!! This thread has started to get a bit long and some info may be hard to find. The website has all the pricing and necessary info out where everybody can see it. Not to mention it makes it much easier on me as my PM box won't always be full.

https://Eggassembly.webs.com

As this business has far exceeded my expectations of just a couple assembly every so often to a couple assembly's per week I though it was time to modernize a bit :) Thats right I now have a website!! This thread has started to get a bit long and some info may be hard to find. The website has all the pricing and necessary info out where everybody can see it. Not to mention it makes it much easier on me as my PM box won't always be full.

https://Eggassembly.webs.com
:clap::clap::clap:

Congrats on the expansion!

Nate

Well done, sir !

The Exactimator and I were testing the original TX and LCD you had assembled for me , after the launch we attended last Saturday.

Kenny

Well done, sir !

The Exactimator and I were testing the original TX and LCD you had assembled for me , after the launch we attended last Saturday.

Kenny

Thank you! How did the testing go?

You do good work and deserve the success in this venture...well done!

I was looking at your website, and didn't see an Eggfinder TX only assembly option. I hope you are going to offer that too.

After much frustration with the downloads and setting my PC to talk to the Eggtimers, I now have them working and programmed with the emulator download.

When I look at the assembly guide for the EggFinder, my eyes turn around and attack my brain with axes.

Who would have guessed rocketry is a young man's sport?

You do good work and deserve the success in this venture...well done!

I was looking at your website, and didn't see an Eggfinder TX only assembly option. I hope you are going to offer that too.

Yes I will get that up. I can assemble any Eggtimer rocketry products you need for clarification to everyone else :)

Thank you! How did the testing go?

Good..without manuals, was able to apply power to both devices and see the 'Rocket Locater' app work on our android phones.

We only tested a few minutes allowing the displayed location to be updated while moving.

Next, updated Firmware and try out TRS same way..then a flight with the TRS as ride along only before trying to utilize the deployment options.

Kenny

Good..without manuals, was able to apply power to both devices and see the 'Rocket Locater' app work on our android phones.

We only tested a few minutes allowing the displayed location to be updated while moving.

Next, updated Firmware and try out TRS same way..then a flight with the TRS as ride along only before trying to utilize the deployment options.

Kenny

I guarantee you'll like the deployment side on the TRS. Will get a "DM" indication on the LCD display for ematch continuity and should see the "D" or "M" flash or disappear if the ematch loses continuity when it fires for the drogue and/or main. That is of course if you have those channels active. Also it's really cool when the device arms and the altitude goes to "0" at field elevation and the baro altitude is telemetered. I recommend you get a couple of LED's and stick them in the Main and Drogue terminals. +/- is opposite the main and pyro battery terminals. Long lead of an LED is +. You'll observe some glowing of the LED's when the pyro battery is connected and current flows for continuity. Grab the manual, practice and get the keystrokes down. Otherwise, you'll be uncertain and look stupid if you try to figure it all out at a launch if you go in cold. Kurt

There's another Eggfinder on its way to you Connor!

Thanks for rescuing us guys that can't read that microscopic print on the parts, let along solder them! :)

"Update"

I've been pretty sick fro the last couple of days with an extremely high fever. I also have midterm on Monday and Wednesday of next week. I'm trying to work through assembling everybody's electronics (which is a LOT) by the date I received them. If anyone has a problem with not receiving theirs in time please email me and I will refund your assembly price.

-Connor McGrath

[email protected]

Wow,,
That really is nice of you Connor....
You go take care of your self....
I don't think anybody's going to mind a few days here or there....
Go ask your mom to make a pot of chicken soup and take care of your school work,,, they come first....

Teddy

Well it looks like somebody is now doing this for free. Actually not horrible for me as I have a lot going on right now with school/testing/midterms and can no longer do the 15+ assembly a week like I've been doing. I can try to lower prices for everyone but have been told my prices are on the low side. I am in a tough spot!

-Connor McGrath

Well it looks like somebody is now doing this for free. Actually not horrible for me as I have a lot going on right now with school/testing/midterms and can no longer do the 15+ assembly a week like I've been doing. I can try to lower prices for everyone but have been told my prices are on the low side. I am in a tough spot!

-Connor McGrath

Yeah I saw that...

Nate

Ahhhhhhh,

It only looks like there was a sign-up list for 5 individuals and I suspect that's it. Don't fret as I bet he'd get tired of building 'em for nothing. Plus taking business from a school-aged person is not nice. Yeah, I think you could bump the prices up a little. You deserve it. Kurt

Connor, for what it is worth, and speaking only for myself. I will still send my Egg kits to you for assembly. Not because I have anything against the other guy doing the work, but because you did an excellent job on my stuff. Also, I appreciate that you are working to earn some spending cash, and not just expecting things to be handed to you. Although I haven't met you, you comport yourself as well as any of your contemporaries on here, and I get the impression that you really have your stuff together, so to speak.

Also, you do work crazy cheap. I wouldn't blink at a modest price bump.

Keep going if it fits your schedule. The free guy is offering 5 slots only, it appears. Don't discount because of competition, quality will always prevail (no slight on other member). I have seen your work and it is quality, that's why you got my business.

Last edited:
Back