The cost of dying...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
is going up. And to think,its blamed on the cost of living. :facepalm:

Have a good day...:grin:

If it gets too expensive, I just won't die because I can't afford it.

The beautiful thing about dying being expensive is that I will not have to pay for it...

If you buy into the whole funeral game, sure! You're going to take it up the poot chute. Nobody said this was a necessary must. It's a "fashionable" way to bury someone. GO OUT IN STYLE! MAKE THE GREAT IMPRESSION! BFS! If you get sucked into this, it's your own fault. Funeral companies have designed this fashion to a point that it's the "way things are done." I call this designed manipulation!

Not only that, but now you can pre-pay for your funeral "so that arrangements will go, exactly as you wanted".... instead of saving a buck as your relatives want to do... Plus, this means the funeral home gets their money up front...and they are assured of the business...and you'll never know, cause you're gone and the money's been paid up front!
What a racket to be in!

Cremation is reasonable, and if you have good friends with rocketry skills, you can have one heck of a last ride and the heck with the burial costs!

I'm going to do what my great grandmother did, and donate my body to science. (After donation of any viable organs to medicine.) What's left over can be cremated and scattered in private family ceremonies like my grandmother and father. (Whom I still owe a ride in a rocket...)

When my Mom passed, my brother and I got the bill. Had to take a loan from my 401k to cover my half. She had a plot in Ohio, but passed in NC, so there was shipping, etc involved. We got her a box with flowers on it, but it was one of the cheapest. Nobody is going to see it anymore anyway.....

I told wife #1 to just bury me in the garden and let the worms feast. Now I am leaning more toward requesting cremation and loaded into THOR with a K-something or other to be blasted into the atmosphere. It's not going to the moon, but the closest I can afford to go...

In reality, I am so far behind in my intended purpose, I can never die....

If you work hard, be frugal, don't spend on frivolous luxuries, and dilligently save every spare penny, you can afford to die much earlier.

Cremation is reasonable, and if you have good friends with rocketry skills, you can have one heck of a last ride and the heck with the burial costs!
Funny you should mention that......
When my time comes, I want my ashes mixed with those of Molly, my once-in-a-lifetime dog. then I want them scattered at apogee from a rocket in the M to N impulse range. That way, we can go together wherever God and the four winds carry us.

Evil Ed

P.S.
If it happened today, I'd want Wildman Tim to be my "Pallbearer":wink:.

It isn't so much to cost of dying, we all go, rich and poor alike. It's the cost of disposal.

At the risk of sounding crass, it never has to cost more than a couple cinderblocks and large body of water. More realistically, do it the Amish way and it doesn't cost more than a pine box and a few friends who are strong enough to dig a hole (and a place to dig it).

A year or two ago, while sitting around the table eating dinner, I told my kids that when I die they can do this with my body:

cat-copter2.jpegCat-copter.jpg

I don't think they took me seriously, but we all had a good laugh. At the very least I will get cremated (sister-in-law works at a no-frills crematorium) and get some ashes spread around at a memorial rocket launch. If that doesn't happen I WILL be back to haunt some people.

I'm telling you and everybody else I want welded up in a steam pipe.

This happens or I haunt you ALL!!!:bat:

I like the monks that think the body is just a big meat vessel, they chant, burn some incense and then put the body on a large rock for the vultures to consume

As I approach my Golden Years I'm coming to the realization that there really isn't a lot of gold. All I can hope for is to die with dignity. Like this:

Golden heck. More like the Rusted Years...

I am not sure of what I think of funerals. .

I know what I think. I don't do funerals. Period.

Dying still costs you your life. A very expensive, yet unavoidable, proposition.

Not necessarily...

Funerals are not for you (the deceased). They are for your friends and family to 'see you off' as part of the closure process.

As far as what to do with your remains, it most surely is a racket...people make rash, emotional, expensive decisions if the planning isn't until after you've died. On the other hand, if you plan ahead of time, you can make informed, reasonable, rational, cost effective choices. One thing is to have procedures and call trees in place so that at the time it happens, your representative makes one or two calls, and the 'plan' is set in motion.

FC

Funerals are not for you (the deceased). They are for your friends and family to 'see you off' as part of the closure process.

As far as what to do with your remains, it most surely is a racket...people make rash, emotional, expensive decisions if the planning isn't until after you've died. On the other hand, if you plan ahead of time, you can make informed, reasonable, rational, cost effective choices. One thing is to have procedures and call trees in place so that at the time it happens, your representative makes one or two calls, and the 'plan' is set in motion.

FC

BINGO!
now where did I put Wildman's telephone number..............

pyre.jpg

I don't care what they do with me after I die. Because I'll be dead. They can just toss me in the woods and let me be coyote food. As nature intended.

"when I die, don't bury me
in a plot in a cemetary.
Out in the garden
would be much better,
where I can be pushin' up
Home Grown Tomaters.:grin:

Back