Wildman 6" V2 Build + Flight Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So at this thing that happened last weekend we all got together and flew V2s on CTI M3100WTs and it was awesome. But two weeks ago, I only had a box of parts that vaguely resembled a V2. Here's what happened in between.

Wildman shipped me a 6" V2 kit back sometime before I departed the Midwest I bathed it when it showed up and put it back in the box, and forgot about it (graduation/job hunting/job getting/etc.). It was in my storage unit; the movers packed it up and shipped it to California along with the rest of my rocket stuff in August.

With the announcement of the awesome drag race deal (thanks Dr. J and CTI!), I decided I had no excuse to not put this thing together. But I was still settling in to the new job and catching up with all my old Los Angeles friends, and it wasn't until the weekend of the 18th that I realized I had no rocket-- only a pile of fiberglass and some tubs of epoxy. So, let's get started.

Here's the pile of parts on my deck, along with my trusty DeWalt. I was all set to go when I realized I needed supplies, so I made a quick bike trip to the hardware store (laugh at my basket NOW, Al!) for some screws, u-bolts, and a piece of PVC to do the fillets.
IMG_3621.jpg

When I got back, I mounted the AeroPack to the aft ring. Don't forget to put the ring on the motor tube and a case inside to keep everything aligned while you're marking!
IMG_3622.jpg

I also took this opportunity to put a pair of u-bolts in the forward centering ring. These will prove handy in a minute. Yes, I just kinda eyeballed the alignment.
IMG_3623.jpg

Next step: bond prep! Scuff sand and clean with alcohol. Always. Everything. No excuses. Here's the motor tube ready to go.
IMG_3628.jpg

And the pieces for the tailcone assembly dry fitted. Note that the rings aren't glued on here-- they're just there for alignment. Same goes for the forward coupler.
IMG_3630.jpg

Next, the tailcone is bond prepped; scuff the inside surface around the forward and aft circumference. You can do the insides of the fin slots too, if you're feeling enterprising. Then, the whole dry-fitted motor assembly is dropped in from the forward end of the tailcone. I left the motor case in from the previous step. I'm not sure why.
IMG_3635.jpg

Fin attachment time! It begins with... bond prep. You knew that. Scuff sand, alcohol wipe, don't touch the bonding surface again with bare hands (or bear hands, they leave fur).
IMG_3636.jpg

I like doing all my fins at once, so I made a cardboard fin alignment guide from the handy template generator on Roger's website. I dry fitted everything-- thanks to the CNC-cut fin slots and quality G10, all the fins slid in on the first try. I also put some tape on the AeroPack to protect it.
IMG_3637.jpg

One by one, I removed the fins, buttered their root edges with Aeropoxy ES6279:
IMG_3638.jpg

and stuck 'em back in the tube. Once all four were in, I put some tape around them to hold them in place and checked to make sure I wasn't gluing the guide in place:
IMG_3639.jpg

At this point, the glue had to dry. Time for happy hour!
IMG_3644.jpg

The next day, I pulled apart the fin can bits. Coupler, out. Rings, out. (Here's where the AeroPack and u-bolts really helped.) Time for fillets! Crazy Jim's technique (PVC, Sharpie, tape) is genius and absolutely perfect. Don't forget to bond prep! I alcohol wiped after the photo again because my thumb is in the fillet region...
IMG_3645.jpg

With the forward and aft centering rings removed, you can do internal and external fillets on each fin simultaneously. (Do the internals first to minimize frustration with the externals running while you're working.) You know the routine here: mix epoxy, spread epoxy, shape epoxy, pull tape, DON'T TOUCH IT. I used 70 grams or so per fillet set (2 internals + 2 externals), I think. Here they are all done, and boy does it feel sweet. Each round took about 30 minutes to do plus wait time.
IMG_3681.jpg

Re-clean the inside forward and aft end of the fin can and apply a generous bead of epoxy to both. Slide the aft ring back in, and then slide the coupler in the forward end until it bottoms out against the fin slots. Wave goodbye to the inside of the fin can.
IMG_3682.jpg

Next, apply a bead of epoxy inside the coupler, and slide the forward ring in place until it's about 1/8"-1/4" past the forward end of the motor tube. (Did you bond prep?)
IMG_3684.jpg

I used some leftover epoxy to glue the switch band in place on the avbay. Slide the coupler in to the nose cone with a bulkplate on it until it stops, then pull it back a bit. Slide the switchband on and put some tape below it.
IMG_3648.jpg

Pull it out, bond prep, apply epoxy.
IMG_3651.jpg

Slide the switchband back in place and let the excess epoxy ooze all over the tape.
IMG_3652.jpg

Nice, nice! Hey, I like happy hour! Great to see the Reese's at MWP! Carry on, good sir!

Finally, avbay time. Align the bulkplates around their OD and clamp them together. Match drill two 1/4" holes 180º apart from each other in the center of the annular gap. Bonus points if you drill your u-bolt and ejection charge wire holes now too. Prep one end of the avbay center tube and smear some epoxy on it. Stick it in the dado'ed bulkplate. (Holes visible here, too.)
IMG_3686.jpg

Loosely assemble the avbay (don't glue anything else!) and make sure the tube is seated home and aligned against the aft bulkplate.
IMG_3687.jpg

Slide the assembly into the booster and put the motor case back in to make sure it goes up into the avbay tube. Add the nose cone for extra effect.
IMG_3689.jpg

Once dry, put everything into boxes and pack it in with clothing. It'll fit in two that meet the baggage size restrictions. TSA will understand.
IMG_3692.jpg

At the launch site, do the "last minits" (as Clifton calls them). Rivet the body tube onto the coupler. Add vent holes in the avbay (I used 4 @ 7/32). Add shear pin holes (I used 4x 2-56 on top and bottom). Add rail buttons (I used 2x 1010). Procure the largest motor that fits. Use lots of Gorilla Glue and slide the grains in from the bottom. Don't forget the spacer o-rings (thanks Foxy).
IMG_3703.jpg

Prep the rocket as usual. I used a Stratologger and a Telemini, along with a tracker. Shock cord is 30' of Kevlar in the bottom and 15' in the top. Chute is of the Rocketman variety. Place it on the pad. Make sure nobody steps on your leads and disconnects them ;)
IMG_3708.jpg

Push the button. Clench hard. Enjoy the show.
IMG_8274.jpg

14,119' later turn on the tracker and go find it!
IMG_3710.jpg

Post-script: wear the dress if you misfired on the first round :D

Thank you Tim, Jeroen/CTI, QCRS, all the rest of the V2 racers, and Chris/Jason/my dad for recovery help.

I'll keep y'all posted as to further flights! It really is that simple to build, easy to prep, and fun to fly. Get one!

I think you just set the record for "fastest" build thread!

Great to see you again.

You forgot to mention..... "Tim went looking for buried treasure" with his....LOL

I don't think I've ever read a build thread as intense as this.

Also I like that clothes and such are used as packing material for the rocket stuff, great way to reduce baggage!

Awesome stuff. Really enjoyed watching these on Saturday. If I ever get around to doing level 3 it will be to fly one of these.

Great Scott man, you are good! A 3 post build thread!
I am just getting caught up from MWP and saw this. Great work and a beautiful flight.

I think you just set the record for "fastest" build thread!

Great to see you again.

You forgot to mention..... "Tim went looking for buried treasure" with his....LOL
You too! Sorry for slipping out so quietly on Sunday, I had to catch a plane. You did get your wrench back, right?
Nice rocket!
Thanks!
I don't think I've ever read a build thread as intense as this.

Also I like that clothes and such are used as packing material for the rocket stuff, great way to reduce baggage!
I had to get my snow pants to Illinois somehow. Those plus boots wouldn't all fit in my carry-on.
Awesome stuff. Really enjoyed watching these on Saturday. If I ever get around to doing level 3 it will be to fly one of these.
It's a pretty sweet little rocket and would be a bold L3 flight. Hope you've got a tracker and some binoculars! :D
Awesome build thread and great job on the rocket! You taking this to LDRS?
Thanks dude! Probably not, flights to upstate NY are pretty expensive from the left coast :( But maybe LDRS in a few years if (when) it comes back out this way. Drag race, anyone?
Great Scott man, you are good! A 3 post build thread!
I am just getting caught up from MWP and saw this. Great work and a beautiful flight.
It was a click frenzy that night. If Eric hadn't caught sight of the thread early on I woulda had it three in a row. But it's OK. I like Eric. He flies sweet rockets and has good taste in gin and Hawaiian shirts.
Wonderful rocket. Wishing that Tim would ramp up the production of more V2s. Congrats!
Be careful what you wish for! ;)

very nice build! did you use Aeropoxy ES6279 for the whole build and internal fillets?

very nice build! did you use Aeropoxy ES6279 for the whole build and internal fillets?
Thanks! Yea I used 6279 throughout. I left the rings off so I could spread it in there with a long stick. It's probably too thick to inject, but I've never tried it. There was enough working room here to just slop it in.

Any objections to bond prepping with acetone instead of isopropyl alcohol?

Any objections to bond prepping with acetone instead of isopropyl alcohol?
It evaporates quicker, so you'll end up with the oils/grease pushed around the surface instead of removed from it if you're not careful. Any polar organic should work-- the goal is to dissolve the goo and get it off the surface before the solvent evaporates. Work quicker and/or use more :D

Back