New Altimiter StrattologgerCF?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hey, Saw an ad for the new StrattologgerCF in the latest Rockets magazine. I was just about to order a couple more SL100s but think I'll wait a month to see what these are. Anybody seen one?

Kevin

Were there any links to the product? Their website has no mention of it that I could find.

Here is a copy of the Ad - didn't find anything on the website yet.

I think CF = Compact Footprint... just guessing :)

stratcf.jpg

I love my SL100 but when this thing hits the shelves I am going to have to grab one of them for sure. I want to try shrinking my avbays down a bit more.

First the little FireFly (which pretty much makes the APRA obsolete) and now this. I wonder if there will be a smaller and less expensive Pnut as well.....

Last edited:
Wow. A 2.00" x 0.84" footprint. By comparison, the MAWD was 3.00" x 0.90".

I wonder what power supplies they will recommend, since there are now LiPo options.

I'm definitely interested.

Greg

Amazing! Considering my first altimeter was a rock and a string, we've come a long way! (no pun intended!)

Only slightly larger than the EasyMini, and decently cheaper.

Wonder if they'll offer current SL100 and the CF or phase out current SL100... I'm attracted to smaller form factor and price but all my ebays are setup for mounting the current size.

The Stratologger CF is now up on the perfectflight.com web site with suggested retail of $54.95. It has not made it to their sales site perfectflightdirect.com. I did notice the price on the SL100 has dropped to ~$62.

There are some difference that I can see.

CF can save 16 flights and the SL100 31.

But that's about it.

I posed some questions to Perfectflite today and here is what I found out:

Q. Are the mounting holes in the narrow dimension spaced the same as the CF100?

A. Yes, they are (intentionally!). 0.65" in the narrow dimension, 1.80" in the long dimension.

Q. When will the spec sheet, instruction manual and purchase capability be available?

A. We're finishing the documentation and web sites now, should be ready by the end of the day today or tomorrow. (Dec. 2, 2014.)

I tried to click through a purchase and its not showing on the PerfectFliteDirect for purchase yet.

I know its CyberMonday somewhere else today. .but I have been waiting for the small CF !

Kenny

Too bad. I thing a coupler for a 18mm body tube is 0.63 inches. It will fit most rockets with a 18 mm mount except minimum diameter.

Last edited:
Too bad. I thing a coupler for a 18mm body tube is 0.63 inches. It will fit most rockets with a 18 mm mount.

Actually it is too big for 18mm but fits 24mm. 0.65" is the mounting hole spacing.

From Perfectflite site: "Measures just 2.0"L x 0.84"W x 0.5"H, fits 24mm tube, weighs just 0.38 oz."

Actually it is too big for 18mm but fits 24mm. 0.65" is the mounting hole spacing.

From Perfectflite site: "Measures just 2.0"L x 0.84"W x 0.5"H, fits 24mm tube, weighs just 0.38 oz."

Thanks. I did not finish my thought. I meant most with an 18mm motor mount.

Ordered two for a new build and they arrived today. They are real small and have all the flight characteristics of the Perfectflight SL100. I'll be setting them up and testing this week. I will report the results.

Last edited:
I got mine Saturday!

This was purchased to ride in both a 3 and 4 inch long 38mm couplers and was planning to use a 1s lipo..but specs show 4.0v plus is required.

A 12v a23 can possibly be used but that seems a step down from my trusty 1s lipos.

Any suggestions?

I also want to use a 1S 3.7V 25C Lipo so I contacted Perfectflite. I've pasted below the email response I received:

The StratoLogger CF will actually operate as designed on down to about 3.6 volts, and with slightly reduced accuracy down to about 3.2 volts.

A fully charged single LiPo cell is about 4.2 volts, so that is fine. Since the current draw of the SLCF is so low, it is unlikely that the battery voltage would ever fall below 4 volts during your flight.

The only thing you have to be concerned about is this:

If you have a LiPo cell that can't put out a lot of current, its terminal voltage will drop when the ematch firing current is pulled. If the voltage drops below 3.2 at that point, you could encounter difficulties.

The brownout protection built into the altimeter is designed to provide 2 seconds of backup power with a 9V battery, more than enough for the altimeter to ride through the 1 second firing period even if your ematch is shorted and kills the battery voltage altogether.

But with a lower voltage battery, you will get a shorter brownout protection period. As long as your battery can keep its voltage up above 3.2 volts while your ematch is firing, this will not be a problem at all. Also, if the battery voltage does drop lower, but for a short duration (i.e. you are using a proper Oxral/Daveyfire/Jtek commercial ematch that fires and open-circuits in about 1/1000 of a second), there is no problem.

The only time you could run into problems is if you have a weak battery, an ematch substitute that draws a lot of current, and draws it for the entire 1 second firing period. Then the brownout protection voltage could drop below 3.2 volts, and the altimeter would reset.

If you are using one of the above mentioned commercial fast-reacting ematches, and your battery can supply at least 1 amp, then there is no problem.

If you are using something else, then you should do a ground test, pulling a vacuum on the altimeter with the battery and ematch in question connected, and download and look at the voltage graph after the test. If the ematch burns quickly, and the voltage only drops briefly (or if the voltage never drops below 3.2) then you are all set.

Also bear in mind that some LiPos can produce a very large amount of current into a short circuit. If you accidentally short the output on the StratoLoggerCF, then this current could damage the altimeter. The altimeter employs current limiting to reduce the likelihood of damage, but if a very large initial pulse of current is put through the altimeter before current limiting takes place, damage to the altimeter could occur.

You can look at the downloaded graph to get an approximation of the peak current through the ematch (PID & PIM). Ideally you'd like these to be less that 5 or 6 amps. 10 amps is OK if for a very short time (less than 50ms, or one sample period on the data)

Also, to dispel a common misconception, a LiPo can put out a lot more current than the mah rating multipled by the "xxC" rating. The "xxC" rating multiplied by the mah rating gives you the maximum continuous current that the battery can supply without damage to the battery, but the battery can supply a lot more current in a short burst.

I did a shop vac test using one of these Eflite 1S 3.7V 150man 25C that was fully charged. The graph from the test is below. The peak current was reported as 3A for the drouge and 2A for the main. The e-matches/ igniters I'm using has these specs: specifications

clip_image002.jpg

side question: what email address are you using to get a response from Perfectflite these days? I've sent a couple of queries in the last few weeks and never heard back. I know they used to be responsive to questions so I'm puzzled....

side question: what email address are you using to get a response from Perfectflite these days? I've sent a couple of queries in the last few weeks and never heard back. I know they used to be responsive to questions so I'm puzzled....

I used the online form because the support email address bounced back as invalid. I waited a week and no response so I called. After I called, I had and email reply within an hour.

I used the online form because the support email address bounced back as invalid. I waited a week and no response so I called. After I called, I had and email reply within an hour.

That's funny (strange). I just sent an email to the support email address today and got a response within a couple of hours.

Thanks. I figured a call would be in order. I just like the asynchronous convenience and automatic record-keeping of e-mail for such queries when I can use it...

Back