Crazy Train Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m goin’ off the rails on a crazy train. Actually it is off a long half inch rod on three F15’s, mid motor cant. Art Deco streamlined 1930’s technology at its best. New York Central Hudson inspired. 4-6-4 steam power all the way.

Some may call it Voodoo Rocket Science, but if it works, HEY! In the end all you are left with is a bunch of rag dolls, needles and chicken bones. All I know is that my CP dolly looks like Swiss cheese. All I want is for it to fly like the Laffer curve with absolutely no Trickle Down. Sorry, that’s Voodoo Economics, not Rocket Science.

After the giant squid rocket I was going to reform, building a more traditional train like rocket. But as I started in I saw this one could be even worse because it to is messy up front, in the middle and in the behind as well. At least the mighty F15’s will lift more weight and I am going to need all the power they can deliver. Low and slow on inefficient BP motors, real steam power might be better!

I used the Noris box for the ring fin because it was a good quality German box and was just the right size. The nose cone is loaded with epoxy clay on the outside and Plasticine with BBs on the inside. Stinking, performance robbing nose weight! Just a tiny bit of flex is all I want behind the fixed coal car. Enough to get it on the pad and make it look like a train. I wonder if I could get by with some ground up coal behind the motor in the coal car for a nice scale look? I’m thinking silver and a bit of black for paint.

Train 3.jpgTrain 7.jpgTrain 6.jpgTrain 5.jpgTrain 4.jpgTrain 8.jpgTrain 2.jpgTrain 1.jpg

Wow, just wow. Clever and unique. Great job. I'm subscribed to see how it looks after paint.

It would take a Vulcan Mind Meld to make the Mind Sim file available.

I would need the Krell brain amplifier to even begin to grasp the intricacies. But at least you simmed it. Can't have you putting something in the air that you just threw together. :duck:

I would need the Krell brain amplifier to even begin to grasp the intricacies. But at least you simmed it. Can't have you putting something in the air that you just threw together. :duck:

No brain enhancement needed. The Magic 8 Ball Executive Decision Maker should have enough computing power to get the job done:)

Daddy you blow my mind. Bring a straight white jacket for the RSO :D

I hope that it'll ride the (launch) rail soon!

I doubt that there will be enough time to derail Thirsty, and his puns though.

Now I've gotta do homework, so I'll be making tracks.

Last edited:
Daddy you blow my mind. Bring a straight white jacket for the RSO :D

Guys with white jackets don't scare me. The guys wearing dark blue with gold letters on the back do. Unmarked white vans or buses, no problem. Black SUVs with mini guns on top, YIKES!

Last Sunday was the club preview and weigh in. At least six certified Levels of supervision. At least 100 years of combined model rocket flying experience. Lots of discussion on how the slightly flexible train will impact CG. I will be maxed out on liftoff weight to get the conservative stability margin.

Lots of discussion on how the slightly flexible train will impact CG. I will be maxed out on liftoff weight to get the conservative stability margin.

If you don't get that dialed in just right, this could be the last train to Crashville.

Oh, no, no, no!

Awesome! You could make a whole fleet of these: Peace-, Love-, Night-, Soul-, ...?

Awesome! You could make a whole fleet of these: Peace-, Love-, Night-, Soul-, ...?

Thanks. When I am looking at all those cool streamlined rides for Joseph Stalin and Hitler, along with those funky WWII armored trains, I will have to get on the Soul Train and start humming Midnight Train to Georgia. Can you afford to board the Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

That is amazingly cool!!! Great paintjob & decals too. If the box cars junctions are relatively stiff, I predict success! Think bottle rocket... Can't wait to see the launch report, pics, & video!

I just got it glued together and it is stiff, like an ole dude's back. At max bend I can hardly get the caboose to 45 degrees. It needs to have some bend to fit on the pad but it should be nice and straight leaving the rod, at least that is how the mind sim goes. It is at max take off weight so it should fly like a pig, hopefully to a height for a successful deployment. Whats to be scared of? It is just a modified bottle rocket!

th

I tell you if you launch it when I'm around and it starts heading my way, I'd be making tracks.

Believe it or not; the RDC with the J-47 jet motors removed from a B-36 bomber, on top was one of the first test beds for high speed rail in the U.S.

With the exception of the shroud on the front the Budd built RDC used was otherwise stock and reached a then, record breaking 183 mph.

Perhaps more astounding is the fact that its stock axle mounted disc brakes brought it to a stop in only slightly more than a mile.

Back