Crazy Train Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing! I wish I had inspiration ... and talent ... and skill ... and tools ... and patience ... and ...
. . . oddroc craziness. Yes, Craziness is all that is needed. No special tools required. Lots of patience helps but you can take shortcuts. Three tubes, 2 old centering rings, six small drops of super glue and you are well on your way to a canted 3 motor mount. Hack the body tube, slip in the mount, glue it up and start adding the extras. JB Weld epoxy clay is easy to work with. All built with scrap parts, sheet balsa, styrene, card stock and backpack straps.

That...is...magnificent. I've been wanting to build a locomotive - themed rocket for a while...you just set the bar really high.

That...is...magnificent. I've been wanting to build a locomotive - themed rocket for a while...you just set the bar really high.

The goal was not to set the Bar really high. But maybe it was to sit really high at the Bar. Will need to see how it flies before I can say a locomotive themed 4FNC would not have been a much better idea.

The Crazy Train successfully flew today at an undisclosed test area deep with in the former Soviet Union. All three motors lit, straight up with a little train like wobble, ejection at apogee, a few little bits broke off due to nose cone snapping back and hitting the cab. Next time a little less on the ejection charge but it was set conservative for the first flight. Hopefully some video might be posted.

Train 6.jpgTrain 7.jpgTrain 8.jpgTrain 1.jpgTrain 3.jpgTrain 4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Don't let the video fall into the wrong hands. The intel is critical.

Very nice. Don't let the video fall into the wrong hands. The intel is critical.

Hopefully some will make it over the border. Lots of smoke and a wagging at the back end. Ejection was a bit violent but it came down under chute. About all you could hope for on the first flight of a silly oddroc.

One brave dude had the courage to help out! Another cautiously approaches to video the first attempt to get it on the rod. Gonna need some WD 40! Thanks to all who helped out with this launch.

[video=youtube_share;WGuDF1oCHi8]https://youtu.be/WGuDF1oCHi8[/video]

Last edited:
[video=youtube;d4GNMtUqTAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4GNMtUqTAs[/video]

The video links seemed to have been lost. Hope this works.

Anyway, I am thinking of another version of this rocket named "Santa's Super Sleigh Ride." Rudolf will be up front with the others and Santa following up.

Christmas version. I am guessing this will be a tractor with engine up front dragging a sled behind as a tail.
Hmmm, seems like it won't be rudolph's nose end that will be red.

You could do it backasswards with powered section being the sleigh and it dragging his team. In any event, it should be a hoot :D

Back