Unofficial MWP 12 Cheap And Dirty Random Pic and Video Flop!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How high did O Boy go on that O25k? Saw some pretty high velocity numbers and that's a pretty small rocket for an O.

Thanks Patrick! I look forward to seeing you again on the range soon! You still have your AMW 54-2550 hardware?

-Eric-

Eric, Yes I still have the motor. Keeping fingers crossed for Thunderstruck even though that's all up in the air. I could always head to the land of curds sometime and see what this Wisconsin rocketry stuff is all about. Either way hopefully we'll meet up at a launch soon.

Hres's my Mini drag race (first six of ten)

[video=youtube;Fsf1Pq2eLYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsf1Pq2eLYY[/video]

Sent from my sub-etha device using Rocketry Forum

How high did O Boy go on that O25k? Saw some pretty high velocity numbers and that's a pretty small rocket for an O.

Why thanks for asking, Dan. The truth is that I don't exactly know how high it went. The "boy" had a hard landing; when retrieved not one of the three avionics was beeping/functional. The two RRC altimeters had their capacitors and beepers displaced/removed due to forces. The "good" data received was primarily from the ARTS2....which was also damaged but was able to connect to the computer for download. The baro and accel based altitudes varied greatly: more so than I've ever seen with data from the ARTS...and the rocket went very straight. Dr. J. mentioned the somewhat rough burn of the O25k, and I think it did a number on most of the electronics onboard.

I will say this: if the concern lies with the waiver, I spent a great deal of effort tweaking the design within RASAero (a sim program that can actually be trusted:D) to keep the combo below the waiver. The final design was slated to stay roughly 2000' below the waiver. As you know, a lot of "minor" details can make a lot of difference in the ultimate performance of a rocket. I could show you two designs with the same planform and the same motor flown from the same sight in RASAero, which have a 9000' difference in expected altitude....the higher of which was the initial design, and the latter being the design flown at MWP12.

It's a bit ironic, but I've spent a lot of energy in the last few years trying to keep several rocket/motor combos under the waivers. I DID NOT EVEN BRING MY FULLY COMPLETED, MOSTLY PREPPED, BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR MWP12 WILDMAN SPORT MACH ENTRY because I couldn't creatively figure out how to keep it below the waiver.

Again, thanks for asking. The QCRS group is a great group to fly with; progressive and aggressive, YES, but worthy of lynching for pushing the envelope...NO!

-Eric-

I want to thank Eric and Justin for the copies of the pictures that Eric took of my Magnum-3E coming off the pad at this years Midwest Power. I want to thank Justin for getting copies made and getting them to me. Thanks Guys. Greg Olson

Why thanks for asking, Dan. The truth is that I don't exactly know how high it went. The "boy" had a hard landing; when retrieved not one of the three avionics was beeping/functional. The two RRC altimeters had their capacitors and beepers displaced/removed due to forces. The "good" data received was primarily from the ARTS2....which was also damaged but was able to connect to the computer for download. The baro and accel based altitudes varied greatly: more so than I've ever seen with data from the ARTS...and the rocket went very straight. Dr. J. mentioned the somewhat rough burn of the O25k, and I think it did a number on most of the electronics onboard.

I will say this: if the concern lies with the waiver, I spent a great deal of effort tweaking the design within RASAero (a sim program that can actually be trusted:D) to keep the combo below the waiver. The final design was slated to stay roughly 2000' below the waiver. As you know, a lot of "minor" details can make a lot of difference in the ultimate performance of a rocket. I could show you two designs with the same planform and the same motor flown from the same sight in RASAero, which have a 9000' difference in expected altitude....the higher of which was the initial design, and the latter being the design flown at MWP12.

It's a bit ironic, but I've spent a lot of energy in the last few years trying to keep several rocket/motor combos under the waivers. I DID NOT EVEN BRING MY FULLY COMPLETED, MOSTLY PREPPED, BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR MWP12 WILDMAN SPORT MACH ENTRY because I couldn't creatively figure out how to keep it below the waiver.

Again, thanks for asking. The QCRS group is a great group to fly with; progressive and aggressive, YES, but worthy of lynching for pushing the envelope...NO!

-Eric-

For what it's worth to some, I've always found your craftsmanship and, integrity to be *golden* Eric... Thank-you for sharing this with us. :cool:

Had a 4 chuff launch with a DD USR Banshee. I thought I had an I200 in it but it was likely a very old red H268 (29mm)
I used a small wimpy homemade MTV igniter that was primed by a thermalite underlayer. It was too slender for this oxidized motor. I put masking tape on the top grain and put a few "bits" of leftover propellant on top of the tape against the smoke grain. The smoke grain might have started first as the too wimpy igniter didn't get the motor going with authority. It took some time after the LSO pushed the button for it to get off the rail. Couldn't really tell at a distance but the 720P camera picked it up. Fun watching the shadow go up and down the rail. Used a beeper on the apogee cord 'cause I didn't know if it would land in the corn to the south. Also one can see the unplanned slow deployment of the apogee shockcord from an unplanned "hang". Fortunately no collisions. Kurt

[video=youtube_share;afxmZDhenaE]https://youtu.be/afxmZDhenaE[/video]

Last edited:
Couldn't really tell at a distance but the 720P camera picked it up. Fun watching the shadow go up and down the rail.

Great video, Kurt. Thanks for sharing. Onboard cameras are great for reconstructing flights, especially when things are a little different than planned and the launch is a goodly distance away. As I get older and my eyesight struggles, I'm gonna have to start putting cameras on everything.

:smile:

Cool video! Did it land in the field west of the waterway?

Back