NAR implements lower membership rates for young adults, increases insurance limits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back to the original topic... Lower membership cost for young adults - this is a good thing!!!

This might be an affordable "Birthday Gift Opportunity" for my oldest daughter who has lost interest in rocketry.

A lower cost NAR membership, a sale priced Leviathan, and a H115 motor. An easy inexpensive L1 and some family fun time.

Lower membership cost for young adults - this is a good thing!!!

<sigh> they grow up so fast... Stephanie 2011 and 2003

pml_explorer01.jpg

2011.jpg

Just renewed the memberships for daughter and I a few weeks ago. Thank you to Ted and the Board for everything you do for our hobby.
Glad to have that insurance. It gives a little piece of mind in our litigation happy society.

Just renewed the memberships for daughter and I a few weeks ago. Thank you to Ted and the Board for everything you do for our hobby.
Glad to have that insurance. It gives a little piece of mind in our litigation happy society.

I hand to agree with this. Encourage youth to join. This is a start.

So as you sit now, as a non-NAR member, all of the damage would be your liability if the land owner's insurance doesn't kick in. With NAR membership, you're limited to $1000 liability. But, you could try to recoup that from Estes if you can make a good case that it was there product's fault. Of course, you would have to read their legal fine print to see if they indemnify themselves against it.

You could also get a rider policy on your home-owners policy that could also help cover you. But the cold hard truth is, our hobby carries real, albeit small, risks that when we release the energy in the motor, bad things might happen. And some of these bad things are not within the control of the flyer (like a motor failure).

Maybe I should just stick to building and forget flying rockets.
I don't have a home anymore, can't afford renters insurance, let alone a rider.
Probably can't afford NAR either.
Anyways, I'm sure for those that fly a lot and can afford it, it's well worth it.
And for the youngins, it's now even better. {fades awat into the night}

Woody, the idea that you are in the clear because your friend would never sue you or it would be Estes fault if something went wrong is faulty understanding of how a claim for an accident would work. If you burned your friend's property, he probably wouldn't be the one who would decide if you were going to be sued or not. He doesn't get to say, "Don't worry, buddy. I'll have my insurance company pay, and tell them not to bother you." If he decides to make a claim on his insurance, then his insurance company subsumes the right to sue anyone they want who they think may be responsible --- you, or Estes, or any other party. It's out of your friend's hands at that point. Another thing to consider is that your friend probably does have a deductible on his insurance, so even if he did make an insurance claim, and they did pay, your friend might still want you to pony up the deductible that he would have to pay.

You might feel that you have nothing to lose, no assets, no income, nothing that anyone can take from you. In that case, you might want to consider the insurance as a way to protect the other people you might harm in an accident, not just yourself. If you don't have the money to compensate another person for injuring or harming them, then who do you expect will compensate that person? Not you... so no one? That person is just SOL in your opinion?

Woody, aren't you working on plans for a shoulder-fired rocket involving PVC pipe launcher and a shotgun shell blank? Of course NAR insurance would not cover a claim in the case of a mishap with something like that, so maybe insurance is a waste for you. I'm just bringing it up because maybe your assessment of risk is a little different from some other members.

I'd have to say my assessment of risk is far less than most everyone else I guess. No one has compinsated my for a brocken back 3 times other than lost wages.
And know I can't work, fighting DDS and the Doctors.
I think I just may have a bad attitude and should probably not force my opinions here. I grunted my whole life and when I was used up was thrown away.
Isn't right to for me to make harsh responses on my own personal matters of life.
So I appologize if I argued the point. I always carried the best insurance I could before I was tossed aside.
I'll stick to building, and put flying for someone else to do.

Back