MWP12 $100 Reward for my Level 2 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndzied1

Reaction score
I am offering a $100 reward to anyone who brings in my Level 2 rocket (Jason Griffin can vouch that I have $100 to give :wink:)
Despite numerous walks through the corn including starting about a mile away and walking my line of site back the launch area I have no joy.

It is a naked fiberglass Wildman 4" Darkstar Dual Deploy with a 50" Recon Parachute. And of course I forgot to put my name or NAR number anywhere on it. :(

Here is a picture before flight.

L2 On The Pad.jpg

Hope you find it , I could not make it out this year work and being call . I would not take your money

It wouldn't be taking money. Even without the cost of the stuff in the rocket, it's the certification part that really is frustrating. It sure seemed the wind was going the other way when I launched but must have had other plans up high.

Hopefully it is found before a combine finds it or the combines driver is paying attention. A fiberglass rocket may not be to nice on a combine. I feel your pain though I have a 7.5" V2, 2550 motor case and a Raven lost in a patch of woods about the size of a football field and have had no luck finding it:(

I wish you luck in finding it. My rocket went into the corn south of the launch pads (on the west side of the road), and I'm pretty sure that without a radio tracker I would never have been able to find it. I only caught sight of the parachute when I was 20 feet or so away from it.

I wasn't able to be there today so my only chance is that someone else stumbles upon it. Launch is over at 3:00 today so not much chance.

everything today was drifting north Im sorry to say so chances of it being stumbled upon are pretty remote . Hope Im wrong , Jim

I got word that it wasn't found. I also heard that my cert team, Justin and Diane (and her husband) spent time looking today even though I couldn't be there. Kudo's to you guys. I really appreciate the time spent looking on my behalf.

I lost a balsa and tissue AMA Free Flight competition model years ago and spent weeks looking for it with no luck. Never turned up either.

Glad to hear your story has a happy ending.

Any word on your cert?

good luck finding it
seen you sat eve emerging from corn.

if you could find some with a FPV quad copter????

john

O1d_dude: no return, no cert :-(

John: I went until dusk but not safe to trek through the field after dark.

I had dreams that night of flying over the corn in a 1 man 'copter, or should I calls them nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

hope it's found before corn harvested!

if anyone in that area has one of those fancy quad copters
hopefully will see this thread.

i hear farmers are starting to use them to improve
their yields/efficiency

john

No tracker or beeper onboard?

JD

I am offering a $100 reward to anyone who brings in my Level 2 rocket (Jason Griffin can vouch that I have $100 to give :wink:)
Despite numerous walks through the corn including starting about a mile away and walking my line of site back the launch area I have no joy.

It is a naked fiberglass Wildman 4" Darkstar Dual Deploy with a 50" Recon Parachute. And of course I forgot to put my name or NAR number anywhere on it. :(

Here is a picture before flight.

View attachment 245272

No tracker or beeper onboard?

JD

I know, shame on me. I even have a 120 dB alarm with a pull cord in my range box and with the nervousness of the cert and getting the flight electronics set up forgot I even had it. There was a Raven and Adept 22 that should have been beeping away but with only the three vent holes in the AV Bay that wouldn't be very loud.

Predominant wind was away from the corn but must have been stronger up high and the rocket powered into the wind more than I thought it would. From what I hear they are harvesting today. Supposedly the farmer is pretty good about returning stuff but I'm not sure what condition it will be in. The av bay is pretty small comparatively so maybe it will be tossed around and not crushed....

O1d_dude: no return, no cert :-(

John: I went until dusk but not safe to trek through the field after dark.

I had dreams that night of flying over the corn in a 1 man 'copter, or should I calls them nightmares.

Sorry! I misread your post. Rats!

Got a couple wonderful calls from Jason & Tim tonight. The farmer saw my rocket before it became fiberglass corn flakes! He said it's all intact.

Tim said the thing is still beeping. Must be the Duracell ultra on the Adept22. My raven had a tiny LiPo in it and I can't imagine that still running.

And yes, the farmer will get the reward 👍

Last edited:
No time limit on the L2 return... as far as I know... just gotta get the paperwork completed - congrats!

congrats! hope it gets back in your hands soon!

Great news.
QCRS does a great job fostering their relationship with landowners. Some folks wouldn't think twice about running that over.
You're good people to get him the reward. Money very well spent.
Congratulations on L2!

"The model must be returned to the certification team after flight."

i think this is a time limit for NAR?

"The model must be returned to the certification team after flight."

i think this is a time limit for NAR?

Absolutely not! Show it recovered to your team and they should sign off if all is good.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I think all my flights will be with at least a beeper if there is a chance of landing in something taller than short grass. Glad it was found!

Back