Square rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m85476585

Reaction score
Has anyone ever built a square HPR rocket? I'm thinking of something like the Fliskits Caution! rocket, but made of plywood. Weight might be an issue, but I could use 3/16" or even 1/8" plywood (for a 3" rocket). Any thoughts?

sure, why not.
those Estes outhouse rockets are square, and so are many other strange things i've seen.

Square rockets work just fine. They might not be quite as "high performance", but still...

Back about 2003 someone showed up at BattlePark with a fence post. It flew just fine.

Guywithfencepostreadytolaunch.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find 3/16" or 1/8" plywood (preferably locally)?

I assume you want something better then the 1/4" luan you get at Home Depot or Lowes. You can check those two, they do have actual plywood in 1/4" but not always in 4 x 8 ft sheets. If a 1 x 2 ft peice will do, you can get 5 ply 6mm at Micheal's along with thinner peices down below 1/8"

Edit- BTW, the fence post above was made from a 4 x 4 plastic post and flown with electronics on a J or K motor. I know you can get larger plastic post at Lowes or Home Depot if that would work.

Edit- BTW, the fence post above was made from a 4 x 4 plastic post and flown with electronics on a J or K motor. I know you can get larger plastic post at Lowes or Home Depot if that would work.

When I posted a photo of a "mailbox post" rocket here a while back, several posters* pointed out that the plastic used for those posts can shatter and produce dangerous shards. So, it's best to stick with wood or some other material if you want to make a square rocket. Cardboard covered with fiberglass would probably work.

I have some tube-like cardboard spacers that were used in the packaging of the new heat pump we had installed. They are shaped like three tubes glued together the long way forming an "L" shape - sort of like a cardboard angle iron. I gotta figure out how to use them for an odd-shaped rocket.

-- Roger

*No pun intended (unless you think it's a good pun)

I have seen square rockets at WOOSH launches. I think it was a gu by the name of Charlie. He had a pyramid of hinged doors on the top for the "nosecone." He launched them with MPR of HPR motors. The doors were held closed with scotch painters tape which ripped when the ejection charge blew and the parachute came out.

They were slick. He even used some atypical plywood fro construction.

John

FWIW, you can build one out of nothing more than cardboard.

Been there, seen one launch. On a K motor.

-Kevin

Back