Tips for Estes Star Trek Klingon Battle Cruiser #1274

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has built this rocket and what tips/tricks they have for assembling the styrene moulded parts. If there is an easy way to get these done I sure wouldl like to know.

Thanks.

Try using the Tenex? plastic welder I've read about here on the forum. I've also read about it on the 29mm Sandhawk upgrade on RP. I've not used it myself but those that have seem to swear by it. I used lots of little amounts of Testors plastic putty (grey tube). Get a set of jewler's files and use those for shaping. Take your time. Don't rush. And no, I don't think there is any easy way.

I built one some years back, and assembled it as per instructions and had absolutely no problems. Once assembled and finished, it looks great and even
flies great. Lost that model somehow, but I have another "in-the-bag" awaiting assembly. Maybe I should make it a pending build project.....;)

I have built one ;) Only thing I can recommend with the styrene parts is "TAKE YOUR TIME"..When I puled mine out to build I started getting in a rush to cut out the bridge sections..Almost totally mucked up a cut that would have ruined that section:eek:..That's when I stepped away for a few minutes, and restarted in 'turtle' speed..I used mostly Testors tube plastic cement and CA..Some finished pictures(didn't THINK to take construction pictures..DOH!):
Klingon013.jpg

Klingon011.jpg

Klingon010a.jpg

And it flew GREAT on the C6-5 I stuck in it! ;)

Now that's a good looking rocket Jon. What tips can you give me for sanding the edges of the styrene parts. I read in the instructions that the edges must be square and it shows using a piece of sandpaper laid flat. I'm thinking 800 grit should do, don't want to take off too much at a time.

Oh, I just remembered that I used "gap-filling CA" in many placed throughout the build.

No, I experienced no melting. I'll pull it out of mothballs (a box in my garage)and get some pictures tomorrow.

Now that's a good looking rocket Jon. What tips can you give me for sanding the edges of the styrene parts. I read in the instructions that the edges must be square and it shows using a piece of sandpaper laid flat. I'm thinking 800 grit should do, don't want to take off too much at a time.

Thank you...I use a sanding 'sponge' rated 320 grit to get most of the rough edges down, then I use 600 grit paper taped to the table top to get a smooth flat 'mating' surface...800 should be fine, I kind of cut mine 'fat' so I probably had more to sand off..;)

I built this one back in 1997 or so. It has probably been boxed up since 2002. I could probably do a little better now but I was happy with the results back then.

KBC4.jpg

KBC3.jpg

KBC2.jpg

KBC1.jpg

I built one some years back, and assembled it as per instructions and had absolutely no problems. Once assembled and finished, it looks great and even
flies great. Lost that model somehow, but I have another "in-the-bag" awaiting assembly. Maybe I should make it a pending build project.....;)

I've got one in the queue too. Let's take them to Pursley's. :D

I've got one in the queue too. Let's take them to Pursley's. :D

I think Pursley has at least one each (Enterprise & Klingon Battlecruiser) in his
secret closet (unassembled, like mine).....:) BTW, he'd like to have another
get together again soon!

Back