Amateur rocket to space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverlordvI

Reaction score
Maybe I've missed the thread here, but I'm surprised that no one has commented on the recent article in Wired Magazine:

https://www.wired.com/science/space/magazine/16-11/ff_rocketheads

This one article is what got me so interested in rocketry in the first place, and since I've read the article, I've fired up a Big Daddy, read Stine's book cover to cover, picked up a magazine for my LEUP, and am devouring everything in these forums.

Anyway, that article mentions only one amateur rocket actually making it into space:

Thus far, only one amateur has made it beyond the threshold of space, defined as 62 miles, or roughly 330,000 feet.

My question to the mavens in this forum is who / what / when / where / and HOW???

My other question - did anyone here actually see Nowaczyk's launch at Black Rock? I wanted to see a video / images of the launch.

SSD

There is another attempt that will try to send an amateur rocket to the same altitude using only amateur sugar propellant called Sugar Shot 2 Space. Richard Nakka is the director of this one.

It hasn't been mentioned, because nobody discusses amateur/experimental rocketry on this forum because its banned by the mob

It hasn't been mentioned, because nobody discusses amateur/experimental rocketry on this forum because its banned by the mob

It's a shame, too. There is a wealth of information out there from people like Nakka, Yawn, Jacobs, Pollino, etc. I get a kick out of the Trailer Trash guys, too. I would mention Scott, but not just everyone gets on his site.

Speaking of Scott, do you think his eventual goal is to go that high? And I can't wait to hear about his launch.

It's a shame, too. There is a wealth of information out there from people like Nakka, Yawn, Jacobs, Pollino, etc. I get a kick out of the Trailer Trash guys, too. I would mention Scott, but not just everyone gets on his site.

Speaking of Scott, do you think his eventual goal is to go that high? And I can't wait to hear about his launch.

Scott Fintel? I believe so
his latest rocket
https://www.thefintels.com/aer/ganymede.htm

I follow SS2S pretty closely via their mail list but wasn't aware of Scott Fintel's effort. Very nice!

IMHO he is very intelligent and knows quite a bit about all phases of rocketry (and a whole bunch of other stuff, it would seem). He is trying to fly this weekend if the weather holds out. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

As far as everything else concerning EX; you can make and fly rockets - or - you can make rockets fly. I chose the latter. It's a good educational experience (and I thought I used to be good at math - good grief)

Back