White Wings Balsa Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Does anyone know whatever happened, or where to pick up some of the old White Wings Balsa gliders they used to produce? I know they're more into the paper airplanes at this point, but I really enjoyed their older balsa gliders they teamed up with Estes on.

Also, I've been to their web site (UK based), but it seems that they've let the web site go.

P.S. Any no I'm not going to RCUniverse with this one, just not an overly friendly crowd there.

Is this what you mentioned to me eariler today? I got a bunch of whitewings at my parents house.

Is this what you mentioned to me eariler today? I got a bunch of whitewings at my parents house.

Yes, but am looking for the older Estes/White Wings balsa designs. Not the paper variety.

I've been flying whitewings for decades. I never knew of any balsa planes and only know of their paper ones.

True, many have balsa cores, but many do not as well...

*did* they make balsa airplanes??

i've just come back from my hols in Derbyshire, and at a few of the model shops there they had the balsa whitewings. and a friend of mine bought and built a few a year ago. so they are definately around - in the UK at least.

i've just come back from my hols in Derbyshire, and at a few of the model shops there they had the balsa whitewings. and a friend of mine bought and built a few a year ago. so they are definately around - in the UK at least.

Curious (would love to see a picture of one, built). What makes them "white" wings...? I always thought that the name came from the fact that the wings and such were white from the white paper they were made from...

Curious (would love to see a picture of one, built). What makes them "white" wings...? I always thought that the name came from the fact that the wings and such were white from the white paper they were made from...

he built a few, they are all white as they have a paper shroud that covers the balsa. i'll contact him and see if he still has a few and see if he can send he a picture to post here. (never posted a picture yet, should be interesting!)

Let me see if I can post a picture later on today.

In the meantime, here are some others that I'm looking at that are still in production.

Dare Gliders

white wings.jpg

white wings a.png

my friend does not have his balsa white wings anymore, but the above are whitewings that contain balsa.

View attachment 58398

View attachment 58399

my friend does not have his balsa white wings anymore, but the above are whitewings that contain balsa.

Ok, those I am familiar with. When someone said "balsa" I envisioned a 100% balsa plane called "white wings", which I had never heard of.

My first introduction to white wings, the entire things were made of paper (the fuselage was several layers of paper glued together). Then I found many (most?) with the balsa cores now.

Good stuff.
jim

Love those Whitewings. Dr. Ninomiya makes some killer gliders. I've been thinking about adapting his Wright Flyer design for use as a parasite balsa glider.

Love those Whitewings. Dr. Ninomiya makes some killer gliders. I've been thinking about adapting his Wright Flyer design for use as a parasite balsa glider.

I always had good luck converting the White Wings to boost-gliders. They would turn in some incredible times too.

You can see one of mine from the 80's by clicking this link.

good stuff!
jim

Have you tried looking at Hobby Lobby? At least one of them in my area still has the balsa/paper White Wings.

Latest posts

Back