"New" Estes Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH MY GOD!!! This is awesome! I can finally get the Firefly from Semroc and fly it.
Yay! :D

Now to just bring back the B6-0... :)

It is back. I read it yesterday in a thread here, but I completely forgot what thread it was. Great news.

AWESOME!!! Now I can get fresh A10-0T's, the stash I have like to detonate :p

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/SfG3ePJbGws&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Did I mention how awesome I think the reintroduction is? :p

Most Excellent! I've been wanting to build a 13mm Comanche III for some time :)

harsas said:
Of course, the best motor for a heavy 18mm rocket is the D21.....
shreadvector said:
Or a D24-4 RMS
I don't understand why AT offers two high average thrust D motors in 18mm, but none in 24mm. The options there are D15 and D9. A D20-something sure be handy for the 24/40 case.

Doug

Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance.

Wooooo!

Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance.

Sorry Wes!

I don't understand why AT offers two high average thrust D motors in 18mm, but none in 24mm. The options there are D15 and D9. A D20-something sure be handy for the 24/40 case.

Doug

Surface area.

The 24mm slug is short and fat and has less surface area. To make a long slug with a larger surface area would require some interesting tooling OR taking the E slugs and machining huge slots into them and throwing away half the propellant.

Surface area.

The 24mm slug is short and fat and has less surface area. To make a long slug with a larger surface area would require some interesting tooling OR taking the E slugs and machining huge slots into them and throwing away half the propellant.
That makes sense. I always assumed it was for some other reason - eg, an oversight - but this clears it up.

Thanks.

Thinking about it, I wonder if they could cook up some knob propellant (ie, low Isp) that would use the longer E liner and thereby increase the length of the grain and hence the surface area. But I suppose that the lower Isp might mitigate the gain in surface area.

Doug

Surface area.

Well, they could make a Warp-9 load...

Well, they could make a Warp-9 load...
Good idea.

But you lose the option of motor ejection - not a big deal for mid-power and larger - but electronic deployment on D-powered rockets, while certainly not impossible, is a bit out of proportion.

Doug

Good idea.

But you lose the option of motor ejection - not a big deal for mid-power and larger - but electronic deployment on D-powered rockets, while certainly not impossible, is a bit out of proportion.

Doug

Unless there's a way to slow it down a bit. I heard they use catalysts that speed it up. So maybe Warp 9 without one (or more) of the major catalysts they use would be slow enough.

Good idea.

With a C-slot grain geometry like the other loads, the thrust will tail off a little more gradually. This should allow the delay to stay lit. It's the sudden pressure drop at burnout that extinguishes the delay element.

Maybe they could make it a partial endburner--the lower 2/3 of the graincould have a slot, and the upper 1/3 would be solid. That way it would still have high peak thrust, but it would be very low thrust as the delay is lighting.

Back