Micro Egglofter Enigma

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like Micro Payload competition this particular NAR contest event has bugged me since Micro-Maxx motors and models were introduced.

Through the early years 1999 and 2000 there seemed no practical way to add 1/8A to this class of competition event(s).
In the very beginning the old MMX-I motor .21Ns would have taken a cluster of 24 to have a decent chance of lifting the Standard NAR Grade-A Hens Egg between 57-63grams with a maximum diameter of 45mm (1.77").
When the MMX-II .31Ns motors were produced in 2004 we again took a look at 10 to 16 motor clusters just for fun... Some were very funny flights indeed. But These HUGE klunky BT-55 & BT-60 normal egg lofters just seem completely out of place when loading up MMX motors.

Back in the beginning I found a string of Easter garland that had as one of the components tiny Polypropylene hollow eggs. I thought perhap a Jellybean would fit inside which it did.... the Jellybean lofter was born.
But jellybeans are in no way as fragile as an astronaut, which would eliminate the care needed to bring the model back gently as required in the "normal competition event. Something a bit more delicate needed to be found.

Looking around Paintballs seemed like they might be an option. a bit bigger at .68"diameter but the average mass of 3.2g was almost ideal. a slightly different shrould was designed and we had a paintball lofter. alas the paint balls proved to be pretty darn strong as well.

An evening out for a Chinese dinner found me standing in front of their deli and I noticed a display of Quail Eggs in the cooler. They were a good bit to big for what I was looking for but the girl behind the counter ask of these would do. Button Quill Eggs? Tiny little things about 5/8" to 3/4" x about an 1 inch long. I wasn't sure but bought the little six pack for 14.00 just to see. After breaking the first few trying to fit one in the Pratt Vacuum formed BT-20 size Nose cone, I found one that slide in perfectly. This particual egg weighed in at 7.4g on the heavy size. but I thought what the heck I'd give it a shot the next morning. To my delight the flight and recovery was Very nice with the heavily ladden bird reaching about 25 feet before popping the 10" mylar chute bringing everything back in one piece and didn't crack the egg carefully wrapped in cellophane. Than it hit me....6 tiny eggs for 14 bucks!!! Holly Crap! that ain't gonna make it for a competition event. We'll have to find another source or another astronaut altogether.
That was sometime around July 10-11, 2004. I'm still looking. I've found a way to get button quail Eggs in shipments of 25 for around 24 bucks..under a buck but that's been about it.
I'm opening this thread in an attempt to close the last unfilled hold-out in completing the NAR competition events to include 1/8A motor class:)

Any thoughts, potential fragile payloads, configurations, or discussion is warmly requested.

Here are the two single motor models already flown, just for fun.

MM 222b_MM Paintball Lofter_07-06-04.jpg

Last edited:
Thought about those little colored vials placed on shipping crates to indicate rough handling? Sorry, don't know what they're called.

Gary

Shock sensors! I've seen them several times on Mythbusters.

https://www.shockwatch.com/index.php

Not sure if they have anything sensitive enough, but I think one of them said it would be activated by a drop of 2" on a hard surface. Haven't looked at prices, though.

Last edited:
Shock sensors! I've seen them several times on Mythbusters.

https://www.shockwatch.com/index.php

Not sure if they have anything sensitive enough, but I think one of them said it would be activated by a drop of 2" on a hard surface. Haven't looked at prices, though.

I'll have to do more digging but it appears these lables don't have one that works for exceedingly light weight applications. needing pounds to activate in that 2" drop. Good though however...perhaps there is something similar out there.

What about these?

You'll know if the astronaut is okay :)

LOL!!! Now they'ed be fun but like Paintballs I'll bet the model would have to streamline in to set it off. expecially on grass.

We need something that is fragile enough to not be able to stay uncracked if the model is slammed to the ground by bad parasheet oscillation. Or the model is comming down with the dreaded "Plastic Wad recovery". Also keep in mind these models (Single motor type anyway) should likely top out somewhere around 12-14grams total LOWt.

I know that it is too late in the season for this, but have you considered miniature Christmas tree ornaments? They are light, hollow, and break easily. The glass may be a safety issue though.

I know that it is too late in the season for this, but have you considered miniature Christmas tree ornaments? They are light, hollow, and break easily. The glass may be a safety issue though.

Good Idea!
I'll see if any of the craft shops still have any in the 3/4" diameter or under size. worth a couple launches i'd think. perhaps contained in a cellophane wrapper the shard aspect might be avoided?

I wonder how hard it is to make something similar to a small Christmas ornament out of sugar like the break-away props they use for stage and screen.

-- Roger

I was thinking of bubbles blown from a lacquer solution and allowed to dry. They'd be paper thin walled and very fragile

McMaster has glass tube .047" wall thickness with and ID of .147" (PN 8729K31) For $3 you can get a 12" length. If you cut it into 1" or 2" lengths and then filled it with .125" dia BB's - my guess is that it would be fragile, small and light weight....

Not sure I'm following you on this one Kerry? Would we be fire sealing the BB's in the glass tubes?

Not sure if the contest board is going to be all that happy about any kind of broken glass vial type payload???

I'm taking a good hard look at the blown lacquer solution bubbles as an options. I'm having some trouble controlling the size and wall thickness but the concept is very interesting.

You might try googleing blown sugar bubbles - they would be equally fragile and biodegradable.

You might try googleing blown sugar bubbles - they would be equally fragile and biodegradable.

Greg:
I must be doing something wrong...tried looking up sugar bubbles, blown sugar bubbles etc, but all I found was stuff for making "Brown sugar" coffee's and tea's? LOL... You must know me better then I thought...as I'm a coffeeholic...must keep the blood count down in my caffeine system.. some of these recipes are pretty interesting LOL!

Back to the hunt for suitable payloads.

Edit:
Goggle must have been having a bad last couple days LOL, found it. Thanks this might be something to play with.

Last edited:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sugar-Glass Maybe pour it into a mold and rotate it until it hardens, so it's hollow. Our pastry chef at work makes something like this all the time for decorations on desserts. It is quite fragile depending on the thickness. Who is to say it needs to be a sphere though, you could make a little sugar glass astronaut, you break him you lose. That would be a lot easier to make. Good luck if you give it a try.

Last edited:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sugar-Glass Maybe pour it into a mold and rotate it until it hardens, so it's hollow. Our pastry chef at work makes something like this all the time for decorations on desserts. It is quite fragile depending on the thickness. Who is to say it needs to be a sphere though, you could make a little sugar glass astronaut, you break him you lose. That would be a lot easier to make. Good luck if you give it a try.

Another very interesting idea:
We do have to keep in mind, these things need to be as simple and easy to get or produce as possible in order to allow as many Clubs and groups the change to pick this as one of there contest events. The easier to obtain the widget the better if you know what I mean.

That said I and the Better 2/3rd...(I'm not allowed in the kitchen alone since the oven vacuum forming debacle but that's another long sad story)...will be looking into sugar bubbles and Sugar Glass to see what we can do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yup, repeating a consistantly breakable item easily is not easy. That sugar glass can be very dangerous, it's like napalm if you get it on you. I'm sure you could scale back that recipe, and not make so much. Pouring it into a mold of some kind with an oil spray release might be the easiest way. But really, after you put it in perspective that this could become a widespread thing, I would say this may be too dangerous for that. It can't be wiped off, it just burns until it hardens. I'd hate to see a kid or a clumsy adult attempt it.

It's the Terminator of Sugar:)

Roger that Doggonewild! The better 2/3rds and I have made and pulled taffy a time or two before, We'll be extra careful with the sugar glass.

Actually i'm leaning toward the sugar bubbles anyway with an eye toward developing a dip & rubber squeeze bulb to get some consistancy in the diameter and wall thickness of the bubbles.

The Better 2/3rd says she has a candy mold made for hollow balls but I haven't seen the size or how it comes apart yet.

That's good that you have candy making experience, it is chemistry after all. I just don't want anyone getting hurt, spilling it onto an unwanted surface, or worse:y:

Ok this may be anathema or or non-feasible, but have you considered something like "BUGLES" chips??

They're pretty consistent and pretty fragile, easy to obtain and would require some skill to package undamaged and recover undamaged...

Probably have to have someone sift through a bag to find several for each contestant of the same weight and shape that are undamaged and intact. I'd suppose they'd have to be very carefully inscribed with a 'serial number' or other ID mark for the competition, or have them unpacked in front of the judges... :)

Just a thought that occurred...

Later! OL JR :)

Ok this may be anathema or or non-feasible, but have you considered something like "BUGLES" chips??

They're pretty consistent and pretty fragile, easy to obtain and would require some skill to package undamaged and recover undamaged...

Probably have to have someone sift through a bag to find several for each contestant of the same weight and shape that are undamaged and intact. I'd suppose they'd have to be very carefully inscribed with a 'serial number' or other ID mark for the competition, or have them unpacked in front of the judges... :)

Just a thought that occurred...

Later! OL JR :)

Now someone is thinking, pre-made fragile things. Maybe a Pringle's chip or something might be an option.

I was thinking maybe glue or tape a marble, or maybe something less ballistic in case of trouble, to a Bugle. It would add some weight as well, like an egg, and be even more fragile than a Bugle alone.

Adding a marble to the payload will make it too heavy for a Micromaxx motor to lift. Bugles are too tough. Every flight would be a qualifying flight, so where's the competition? Try dropping a Bugle chip from 75 feet up onto a lawn and see if it gets damaged.

Sorry, John, but I see no easy answer here. The payload must be commonly available so that everyone can get some, and at the same time be small enough for a Micromaxx competition model to lift while also being fragile enough to be easily broken or obviously damaged with careless handling. Sugar bubbles fail the availability requirement.

I'm not so sure that every competition event in the Pink Book can be flown in 1/8A. When you get down to the quantum level of Micromaxx, you need a whole new paradigm and a whole new physics. Some things in the Pink Book just won't scale down that small. I do recognize that many events are successfully flown in 1/8A. But I believe that if one wants to increase the number beyond those that already exist, then perhaps entirely new types of competition that are specific to 1/8A need to be invented. Such events would of course need to be challenging but would not need to have any analog in any of the other motor classes.

Egglofting already isn't flow in any class below B as it is. The lack of this event doesn't leave any more of a hole in the range of events for 1/8A class than it does in the 1/4A, 1/2A and A classes. I don't see anyone pushing for an eggloft type of event in those other classes. If NAR were to extend egglofting to motor classes below B, why should they skip those other levels and just create one for 1/8A?

MK

Actually "they" wouldn't be skipping A and below, As we did with Payload, whatever is proposed for 1/8A will be incorporated into some sort of adder for 1/4A, 1/2A & A.

This is one of the last hold outs in the pink book Mark. The other being RC/RG but we already have prototypes for that event so I consider it covered tho not publiblished.

This weekend the better 2/3rds and I spent a little time with the sugar bubble issue and while we did get to a point where we were producing fairly consistant thickness 5/8" bubbles with nice wall thickness, I have to agree they would not pass muster on being "easily available" so like Button Quail Eggs can't quite fill the bill. Was a Great thought in any event.
The search continues.

Adding a marble to the payload will make it too heavy for a Micromaxx motor to lift.

MK

Not really... I get about 40-50 feet with mine with good deployment near apogee. I *have* had some difficulty with getting the parachute inflated, but that's more to do with being over-zealous with the size of the chute i'm trying to use :)

Not really... I get about 40-50 feet with mine with good deployment near apogee. I *have* had some difficulty with getting the parachute inflated, but that's more to do with being over-zealous with the size of the chute i'm trying to use :)

That is quite true Jim:
As long as the total Liftoff weight with 1.1g (MMX-II) motor and whatever payload we come up with remains in the 10 to 12 gram range they should fly pretty well. A 6gram model should leave 5 or so grams for payload.

I just happened to have one marble, it weighs 4.7 grams.

How neat is that! 4.7g plus the bugle cone should be right in there LOL!!

Thinking a little more about this problem, perhaps we've stumbled onto an important part of the puzzle. While I've been concentrating on finding a minimum mass object as our astronaut payload perhaps we also need some sort of free floating mass on or within the object that can cause cracking. It's not the fall that kills after all, its that darn sudden stop:)

Back